Columbus Direct Travel Insurance Reviews

Ratings based on 11 reviews       Last review 6 days ago

Do you buy travel insurance before going abroad? There are hundreds of different travel insurance policies on the market, all designed to help you stay protected while travelling...and giving you piece of mind, whether you're enjoying a sun swept beach or on an adverture-packed holiday. But with so many different policies to choose from, finding the right policy for you can be quite confusing. Reading our Columbus Direct travel insurance reviews can help you find out what other travellers have to say. You can also write your Columbus Direct travel insurance review too!

Voting in the Insurance Choice Awards 2022 is open!VOTE HERE

Your Travel Insurance Reviews

Review Columbus Direct's Travel Insurance now

Appalling!

Insurance is taken out to ease the burden and recoup the shortfall when the worst happens, with the hope that it never does. Columbus Direct policies do neither. Totally dismissed my claim despite providing all requested documentation. Do Not use this com Read more

Insurance is taken out to ease the burden and recoup the shortfall when the worst happens, with the hope that it never does. Columbus Direct policies do neither. Totally dismissed my claim despite providing all requested documentation. Do Not use this company to provide your travel cover.

Reviewed on 27th September 2022
Mark Medcraft's avatar
Mark Medcraft

AVOID AT ALL COST

After the initial shock and disappointment, I am now down to informing any potential Columbus clients, that they are wasting their money and that making a claim with Columbus is 100% impossible. Last month, we had to cancel our holiday due to a last mi Read more

Last month, we had to cancel our holiday due to a last minute emergency surgery that I had to have to treat a detached retina in my left eye.
As this was less than a week before our trip, we only managed to get partial refund from the hotel and no refund for our flights.
We thought that this won't be a problem, that we can surely claim the remaining money through our travel insurance.

So, I filled in the claim form and by mistake I submitted it without attaching any supporting documentation.
Didn't think much about it and submitted it again with all documentation attached.

Then, the first strange thing happened.
I received an email from Columbus, they informed me that my condition wasn't covered by my policy.
This was strange, as I didn't even include the paperwork, so I rang the customer services.

They deleted the claim that was rejected and I was then asked to send a few more documents (flights cancellation confirmation) for the other claim which had all supporting documentation.

While I was trying to get the other documentation sorted, the same notification came in, informing me that my policy doesn't cover trip cancellation due to an unforeseen illness.
Both emails same wording, so this is obviously an automated reply.

I checked my policy to find that I'm absolutely covered.
Tried calling back Columbus, but although their customer services hours are 12-14h (YES, 2 HOURS PER DAY) the automated message said that their offices are now closed (1:20pm).

Now, our claim should have been dealt with instantly. I've included so much documentation in regards with my illness, no matter how much one tries, this should have been paid out.
This wasn't a claim for a lost luggage or something else, where responsibility could be on our side.
I am at home, half blind and bed bound, with almost 2K out of pocket.
Columbus is a scam 10/10.

We've been with Columbus for more than 10 years and all I can advise is: do not even think about it.
Shame on you Columbus.

Reviewed on 1st September 2022
karaburmasuburb Tld's avatar
karaburmasuburb Tld

Reliable and accurate

Have had annual travel insurance with Columbus for 5 years+ and they are accurate, reliable and easy to remain loyal to.

Reviewed on 13th July 2020
Tim Gregory's avatar
Tim Gregory

Comprehensive cover for good price

I've had my policy for years and it's refreshing that they don't significantly increase the premium each year. Covers me for a range of activities as standard.

Reviewed on 10th August 2019
cr7364's avatar
cr7364

Great value and loads of extras

I've been with Columbus Direct for years and my annual policy is cheaper than I can find elsewhere and includes lots of activities as standard. They don't try to increase my premium significantly each year either - sometimes it is actually cheaper. The Read more

I've been with Columbus Direct for years and my annual policy is cheaper than I can find elsewhere and includes lots of activities as standard. They don't try to increase my premium significantly each year either - sometimes it is actually cheaper. The free airport lounge if there's a flight delay is also great.

Reviewed on 12th August 2018
cr7364's avatar
cr7364

Not worth it

Asked for comprehensive, no exemptions insurance for my gadgets. Paid £100. Phone got wet in bag. They refused claim

Reviewed on 16th September 2017
Tara Clover's avatar
Tara Clover

Fair Price Great Cover

I have always used Columbus Direct for Travel insurance for my family. They have a fair pricing policy and include lots of things other companies charge extra for.

Reviewed on 2nd August 2017
Sheila Shepheard's avatar
Sheila Shepheard

Excellent value

Thankfully I've never had to use the insurance cover yet, but Columbus have been a very reliable and economical option, and the first company I turn to when going abroad. Their cover is comprehensive & flexible, and they can send information in multiple w Read more

Thankfully I've never had to use the insurance cover yet, but Columbus have been a very reliable and economical option, and the first company I turn to when going abroad. Their cover is comprehensive & flexible, and they can send information in multiple ways to suit. All in all, a pain-free experience.

Reviewed on 30th October 2016
Andy Craig's avatar
Andy Craig

Quick, easy and cheap!

Was really easy to use the site. Only took a few minutes, but best of all, Columbus was the most affordable. Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 30th October 2016
Derek Thomas Wilson's avatar
Derek Thomas Wilson

Great value

Thankfully I've not had to use their insurance as yet, but they're excellent and communicating and provide brilliant value

Reviewed on 7th October 2016
Andrew Craig's avatar
Andrew Craig

No Hassles

Been really good. No complaints. Value for money.

Reviewed on 31st August 2016