Axa: Private Health Insurance reviews

Based on 25 reviews, last reviewed 25th Jan 2023

Easy access to fast medical treatment at an affordable price Every time I claimed the claiming process was smooth and claims staff really friendly. Even once when things did go slightly wrong, the issue was re... Read more Reviewed on: 9th July 2020

Several substantial failures 1) Phone queues are over 40 minutes long. I have simply given up waiting before. 2) AXA's communication with the online GP service/app Dr Care Anyw... Read more Reviewed on: 25th January 2023

About the Private Health Insurance

Axa health insurance reviews can help to you to get the inside track on life as a Axa health insurance customer before you take out a policy. Making sure that you find the best health insurance provider for you can help to give you piece of mind...which is were we come in! Smart Money People in the UK's leading financial services review site. Our mission is to help increase trust and transparency using the power of YOUR reviews...so why not write a Axa health insurance review today!

Review Axa: Private Health Insurance now

Axa Private Health Insurance reviews (25)

Several substantial failures

1) Phone queues are over 40 minutes long. I have simply given up waiting before. 2) AXA's communication with the online GP service/app Dr Care Anywhere is laughable; the two entities just don't communicate with one another, so when you join AXA Dr Care Anywhere has no record of this and yiu are charged for GP appointments. You have to continually badger both AXA and Dr Care Anywhere to talk to one another and convey the most basic information; namely that we had in fact taken out an insurance policy and no longer had to pay! Needless to say each said it was the others' fault. 3) Dr Care Anywhere is actually the worst part of AXA: the app crashes regularly and though it pesters you continually to change phone appointments to video appointments, when you do, you will almost always find the GP can't contact you at the appointment time because the app simply can't handle video calls. Therefore you have to start all over again and rebook another appointment 4) AXA have almost ZERO current knowledge of consultants addresses, phone numbers, even what practices and clinics are still operational, so when phoning around to arrange an appointment you spend about 70% of the time speaking to defunct clinics or different specialist's secretaries than the ones you've been given. 5) If you need to see a specialist urgently, good luck! Unless you've had insurance for more than 6 months you have to get a second letter of referral (it's called underwriting and involves an NHS GP filling in a lengthy form - which they charge you for) to substantiate the word of the online Dr Care Anywhere GP that this is not a pre-existing condition; the problem with this, as anyone in the UK will know, is that it takes usually at least two weeks to get an NHS GP appointment and then (in our surgery) only a phone appointment; after which, you may be called in to see a doctor in person - (another two week wait) and only THEN can you hope to get the form filled in and scanned back to AXA. Reviewed on: 25th January 2023
Emily Paton

Astonished this company can charge any money for its' 'services' at all

1) You can't even start the ball rolling because the phone queues are over 40 minutes long. I simply gave up waiting the other day though I'd been fast tracked by the GP I spoke to for an urgent referral to a neurologist. What a joke. 2) AXA's communication with the online GP service/app Dr Care Anywhere is laughable; the two entities just don't communicate with one another, so when you join AXA Dr Care Anywhere has no record of this and yiu are charged for GP appointments. You have to continually badger both AXA and Dr Care Anywhere to talk to one another and convey the most basic information; namely that we had in fact taken out an insurance policy and no longer had to pay! Needless to say each said it was the others' fault. 3) AXA have almost ZERO current knowledge of consultants addresses, phone numbers, even what practices and clinics are still operational, so when phoning around to arrange an appointment you spend about 70% of the time speaking to defunct clinics or different specialist's secretaries than the ones you've been given. Reviewed on: 25th January 2023
Emily Paton

Shocking service and panient care. Save your money !

No emergncy assistance - told touse NHS 111 service. Took 3 days to get a VIDEO GP consultation and after that I was told it wasn't covered. I took out an all wiltsle and bells policy and it was LESS THAN USLESS!! I feel scammed and LET DOWN Reviewed on: 13th January 2023
Greg Mainey's avatar
Greg Mainey

Awful - obfuscate referral for months. A scam.

DO NOT USE. Months of obfuscation and charges and I still do not have treatment. Also ~1hr wait to speak to a human (and I have only ever gotten through once). Detail: I received a referral letter from one of *their* provided doctor care anywhere GPs. AXA sent me a form that the GP needed to fill in regarding previous conditions. I could not find how to contact the doctor care anywhere GP again for this, and besides they do not know my medical history. AXA responded to this saying that my regular NHS GP should fill the form. I explained they have not diagnosed me for this, but they explicitly assured me that didn't matter. I paid £40 to have my NHS GP fill in the form - which AXA will not refund. AXA then refused my claim because the GP filling in the form did not provide the referral. It took months to get to this stage. AXA will take exactly 8 days to respond to any communication (their stated upper limit). Literally a scam. Reviewed on: 11th January 2023

Do you have a different Axa product?

Axa has a range of products available. Check the ratings of each product to find the right one for you. View all products