Axa Travel Insurance Reviews

Do you buy travel insurance before going abroad? There are hundreds of different travel insurance policies on the market, all designed to help you stay protected while travelling...and giving you piece of mind, whether you're enjoying a sun swept beach or on an adverture-packed holiday. But with so many different policies to choose from, finding the right policy for you can be quite confusing. Reading our Axa travel insurance reviews can help you find out what other travellers have to say. You can also write your Axa travel insurance review too!

Good

Your Travel Insurance Reviews

Review Axa's Travel Insurance now

18 weeks later, still waiting!!!!

EIGHTEEN WEEKS LATER I am still waiting for a response to a claim for cancellation of our holiday (due to getting covid the day before). Appalling customer service and lack of communication. Ended up having to deal with AXA through buying travel insuran Read more

Ended up having to deal with AXA through buying travel insurance with Coverwise.

Reviewed on 20th October 2022
Sarah Grange's avatar
Sarah Grange

Con bad customer service

4 months do not answer phone or emails

Reviewed on 13th October 2022
Shaz's avatar
Shaz

Policy didn't cover total cruise cost

Bought cruise insurance as recommended by Tui Cruise. However not until Mum died and I reread the policy, did I realise that cover was less than cruise cost. Feel cheated.

Reviewed on 13th September 2022
Jane Perry's avatar
Jane Perry

Please spare yourself trouble: Avoid purchasing AXA health insurance

I recently decided to write a negative review of Axa Insurance company after the company disallowed my claim and canceled my medical insurance policy. I hope this account will be instructional for those seeking travel insurance, which was my position thre Read more

I recently decided to write a negative review of Axa Insurance company after the company disallowed my claim and canceled my medical insurance policy. I hope this account will be instructional for those seeking travel insurance, which was my position three months ago in June2022.

Axa disallowed compensation for medical bills, giving the reason that I failed to purchase a travel insurance policy the day before leaving Los Angeles for Sydney. They wrote to state that buying the policy on the same day as my departure (although it was purchased hours before the flight left the ground) disqualified me for compensation. This text below was copied from their cancellation letter sent on August 3rd, 2022:

"We regret to inform you that the policy that you purchased on June 9th is ineligible due to you (sic) purchasing it the same day of your flight departure. Policies must be purchased with confirmed scheduled departure and return airfare tickets at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure date. Accordingly, we have cancelled the policy #2461716, effective immediately."

I have looked exhaustively for information about this in the travel insurance policy guidelines provided by Axa and could not find any language that supports their position.

In addition, I was issued an acceptance letter on June 9th, 2022. If purchasing a policy on the same day as departure disqualifies a customer, doesn't Axa have a responsibility to conduct due diligence before providing an acceptance letter? It's not as if it would have been difficult for them to find out, as the departure date and purchase date are both on the web application they provided.

Axa disallowed my claim based purely on their need to avoid honoring the financial commitment they voluntarily undertook when they sent a letter of acceptance. Both documents, the acceptance letter and the travel insurance policy, fail to support their denial of my claim.

I am writing an appeal to Axa to ask them to review the claim and have also engaged the services of an attorney to sue to obtain compensation. Whatever the outcome of my efforts, I hope to communicate to others about Axa's refusal to provide claim coverage. Insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to do what Axa has done, i.e., make money on a policy that offers an illusion of safety without actual coverage. Companies that deliberately and willfully place their customers in such financial danger should not be allowed to conduct business.

Most people would happily pay more for insurance that does what it says it will do, and hopefully, this message will reach others in time for them to become aware of the problem before they make choices concerning the purchase of insurance.

Reviewed on 3rd September 2022
Tom Cleary's avatar
Tom Cleary

Very cheap but good

They have consistently been the cheapest although I have not yet had to utilise the product.

Reviewed on 13th August 2022
kungfu-pigeon's avatar
kungfu-pigeon

they are scammers

don't pay out, lie and say what you want to hear then change their mind, never answer phone, say they will call but never do

Reviewed on 27th June 2022
Nikki Coles's avatar
Nikki Coles

Had to give at least 1 Star but should be Zero Stars!

Have have tried 7 times to call each time over 30 mins and the last was holding for 1 hour and 20 minutes! I have also sent 2 emails without any response - absolute joke!

Reviewed on 27th September 2021
Ashley Holland's avatar
Ashley Holland

Do not use AXA travel insurance

The customer claim service is terrible. I lodged a claim on the 15th March. It took 15 days to get a reply. The reply had no substance and was criptic, I think it was written by a 10 year old. They requested further information but could not say what was Read more

The customer claim service is terrible. I lodged a claim on the 15th March. It took 15 days to get a reply. The reply had no substance and was criptic, I think it was written by a 10 year old. They requested further information but could not say what was required! Tried calling the first person sounded like they were at home and after a long silence they just hung up on me. Called a second time and finally got to speak to some one. I was promised dococumentation to complete the claim, it was never emailed to me. No one would reply to my email requests. Finally got a response after AXA sent me survey and I burnt them in it. Still no additional documentation recieved for claim. Then two weeks later got a email the claim is under review. Two weeks after that i get a letter saying they are not paying out anything in the claim. I will not go into details but it is a legitimate claim. This whole procces has taken 6 weeks and gone no where. In the past 12 years of traveling the world I used AXA for my travel insurance. I will never use them again. DO NOT use AXA no matter what they are offering. It is like they draw it out and don't communication in the hope you will just go away. And when you don't they make every excuse not to pay out!

Reviewed on 27th April 2021
John Shaw's avatar
John Shaw

Great experience

Quick process and reliable for cover

Reviewed on 14th July 2020
Sbrwn's avatar
Sbrwn

Fair Travel Cover

Given current world situation, I took care to look at cover offered and compare different companies. Axa provided a favourable level of cover in a way that seemed fair in current circumstances and at a competitive price.

Reviewed on 1st May 2020
Ian A's avatar
Ian A

Avoid

They always find a way out to get away if their responsibilities

Reviewed on 12th November 2019
Moguel's avatar
Moguel

Insensitive and Incompetent

My wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer in January 2109. I had a letter from her consultant who explained that it was not possible to travel any more. Consequently, I had to cancel a trip in March. I forwarded Claim Documents with a comprehensive cove Read more

My wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer in January 2109. I had a letter from her consultant who explained that it was not possible to travel any more. Consequently, I had to cancel a trip in March. I forwarded Claim Documents with a comprehensive covering letter to AXA Tunbridge Wells offices.
These were received but not re-routed to the correct department. WHY ON EARTH NOT. DO THEY NORMALLY DISREGARD CLAIM FORMS?
I even received a letter from the Health Care dismissing my claim because my Insurance had not been renewed. They later apologised for this insensitive attitude.
I heard nothing for ages, then AXA started their inappropriate investigation.
On 3 September I was told that I would get a refund of £200+ and an extra seems paltry £50 - to recompense our distress. This is insulting.

Reviewed on 27th September 2019
Norman Johnston's avatar
Norman Johnston

Very helpful

Had an incident in barcelona where a wallet got stolen and the people here were so helpful.

Reviewed on 9th August 2019
Samuel Ager's avatar
Samuel Ager

Comprehensive cover, affordable price

Pleased with the level of cover offered, price and customer service. Would recommend. Not had to claim (thankfully!) so cannot review performance regarding making a claim.

Reviewed on 22nd September 2018
Holly 's avatar
Holly

Very satisfied

My son was taken ill in Russia in the Hermitage Museum. He went by ambulance to an AXA owned clinic who dealt with AXA and all his expenses of overnight stay and battery of costs plus doctor were immediately paid without a quibble. Consequently I am com Read more

My son was taken ill in Russia in the Hermitage Museum. He went by ambulance to an AXA owned clinic who dealt with AXA and all his expenses of overnight stay and battery of costs plus doctor were immediately paid without a quibble. Consequently I am completely confident of always using them as I know they will payout if required. Also, the website is easy to use and prices good.

Reviewed on 1st October 2017
angela's avatar
angela

Brilliant service

We had a terrible time on holiday with myself and baby admitted to hospital. So glad we had booked travel insurance through axa. They were professional, friendly, nothing was too much trouble and in particular they cared...horrible experience made easier Read more

We had a terrible time on holiday with myself and baby admitted to hospital. So glad we had booked travel insurance through axa. They were professional, friendly, nothing was too much trouble and in particular they cared...horrible experience made easier through these guys x

Reviewed on 25th September 2017
Becky Honeyman's avatar
Becky Honeyman

Hassle-free travel insurance

Used a couple of times for travel insurance required by visa applications. Simple and straighforward sign up.

Reviewed on 23rd August 2017
Flavia Oliveira's avatar
Flavia Oliveira

easy to claim

recently had to cancel a holiday due to unforeseen complications in pregnancy. all customer service was sincere and personal, prompt and efficient. upon completing claim, waited 10 working days for a response which unfortunately didn't make sense but Read more

recently had to cancel a holiday due to unforeseen complications in pregnancy.
all customer service was sincere and personal, prompt and efficient.
upon completing claim, waited 10 working days for a response which unfortunately didn't make sense but once spoken to the team, they rectified within 48 hours.
payment was completed within 5 days.
overall, very smooth compared to other companies i've dealt with in the past.

Reviewed on 31st July 2017
janet b's avatar
janet b

Very Pleased

Very good experience regarding AXA travel insurance.

Reviewed on 30th July 2017
Alan Middleton's avatar
Alan Middleton

So far so good

It was easy to set up my AXA travel insurance and I was able to make sure I had the right level of cover easily and compare it to other policies to ensure its the right product for me. I haven't had to claim on my insurance so I am unsure as to the clai Read more

I haven't had to claim on my insurance so I am unsure as to the claims process.

Reviewed on 4th July 2017