Green Flag Breakdown Insurance Reviews

Like many drivers, breaking down is not something we want to think about! But when it happens, You'll be thankful that you're with a good breakdown cover provider. That's were our Green Flag breakdown cover reviews come in. You can read and write YOUR Green Flag Breakdown cover reviews. We started Smart Money People to help drivers like you to find the best breakdown cover based on our honest reviews. Together, we can make financial services work better for everyone.

Good

Voting in the Insurance Choice Awards 2022 is open!VOTE HERE

Your Breakdown Insurance Reviews

Review Green Flag's Breakdown Insurance now

Expensive

Costs a lot for them to actually do nothing much at all. Once broke down in a remote area and all they did was call a local tyre repair shop I could have contacted myself. I still got charged for the rescue and tyre replacement so I don't know what my pre Read more

Costs a lot for them to actually do nothing much at all. Once broke down in a remote area and all they did was call a local tyre repair shop I could have contacted myself. I still got charged for the rescue and tyre replacement so I don't know what my premium covered. They're also weirdly strict about recovery at or near home.

Reviewed on 15th August 2022
Nope's avatar
Nope

Utterly useless

6 hours roadside today waiting for a recovery truck than never arrived a taxi they said they booked but hadn't, and a hire car 15 miles away which no one knew was available or not, 6 hours in 33 degrees with children on board do yourself a favour and go e Read more

6 hours roadside today waiting for a recovery truck than never arrived a taxi they said they booked but hadn't, and a hire car 15 miles away which no one knew was available or not, 6 hours in 33 degrees with children on board do yourself a favour and go elsewhere, 140 miles home ended up taking 11 hours.

Reviewed on 13th August 2022
Pippa's avatar
Pippa

Green flag Germany totally unresponsive

Every step has been a nightmare. Green flag U.K. try hard but you hit a brick wall with the German partner. Stuck at roadside for 3 hours with 4 kids. Didn’t find us hotel or taxi. Car still in Germany no attempt at repatriation. Booked my own flights hom Read more

Every step has been a nightmare. Green flag U.K. try hard but you hit a brick wall with the German partner. Stuck at roadside for 3 hours with 4 kids. Didn’t find us hotel or taxi. Car still in Germany no attempt at repatriation. Booked my own flights home and struggling for weeks with no car and no help.

Reviewed on 29th July 2022
Sally C's avatar
Sally C

Awful Service

Breakdown In Germany, No assistance offered to repatriate vehicle or onward travel. no correspondance unable to get through on phone or APP. Left stranded in Germany with a dog in 32Deg heat. No help or assistance offered whatsover. eventually had to arr Read more

Breakdown In Germany, No assistance offered to repatriate vehicle or onward travel. no correspondance unable to get through on phone or APP. Left stranded in Germany with a dog in 32Deg heat. No help or assistance offered whatsover. eventually had to arrange onward travel via private company which Green Flag refuse to compensate even though was insured to do so.

Reviewed on 14th July 2022
Doug Wade's avatar
Doug Wade

Do not auto renew without seeing their prices on line.

The renewal notice for my breakdown policy asked for £80.64. Green Flags online price for the same policy was £51.17. They did price match when I telephoned. Not impressed with this tactic as many people probably automatically renew at the higher Read more

The renewal notice for my breakdown policy asked for £80.64.

Green Flags online price for the same policy was £51.17.

They did price match when I telephoned. Not impressed with this tactic as many people probably automatically renew at the higher price.

Reviewed on 9th July 2022
Venetianintown's avatar
Venetianintown

daylight robbery.

Broke down.rang green flag.told i had to pay!£150 to come out.even though renewed policy.two and half hours later egertons van appeared.fitter had no tools or parts.asked me if i had any tools.!fiddled with my van with a useless csn of wd40.then told me h Read more

Broke down.rang green flag.told i had to pay!£150 to come out.even though renewed policy.two and half hours later egertons van appeared.fitter had no tools or parts.asked me if i had any tools.!fiddled with my van with a useless csn of wd40.then told me he was not allowed to take me home.drove off and left me.had to ring nephew to collect me and had to pay to get my van picked up next day and brought to a repair garage.avoid green flag at all costs.they are thieving modern day over the phone daylight robbers.disgusting firm.been with them many years.when renewals due i shall be going elsewhere.

Reviewed on 20th May 2022
robert's avatar
robert

Poor customer service

I joined their low cost "service" whereby you can purchase breakdown cover at a low up-front price, but pay a £40 additional charge every time you call them out. I thought this would be reasonable because my car is fairly new and properly maintained, so I Read more

I joined their low cost "service" whereby you can purchase breakdown cover at a low up-front price, but pay a £40 additional charge every time you call them out. I thought this would be reasonable because my car is fairly new and properly maintained, so I felt there was a low chance of having to call them out. The problem is that they set the policy to automatic renewal without your consent, then they make it difficult to cancel. According to their website, changing to manual renewal whereby you have to give consent can easily be done online. But when I tried, I found that's not the case for the low cost policies. Why not?? Needless to say, when the policy anniversary came close it was very awkward and very difficult to let them know that I didn't want them to renew the policy. After several unsuccessful attempts, I called them to complain and only then was I informed that they were able to change policy renewal to manual and cancel auto-renewal. However, I was not given a complaint reference number either, so it seems that they deliberately avoid logging complaints. I have never given my explicit consent for automatic annual renewal of any service and it is annoying that unscrupulous companies try to take advantage. I feel that Green Flag customer service is one of the worst set-ups that I have ever had to deal with and for this reason I will not purchase from them again. Fortunately, I have not yet had to call the breakdown number. I will be going back to one of the leading brands.

Reviewed on 19th April 2022
Dave Worrall's avatar
Dave Worrall

Stay well clear

Stay well clear if you are a business I took out a green flag business policy, I ensured I took out the highest one possible. In case of break down I then had a replacement vehicle for two days and my vehicle would be straight to the garage. First ti Read more

Stay well clear if you are a business

First time I come to use them went like this.

Had a technician out to my vehicle (not green flag they subcontract there entire business) he said there was no fault to continue driving, I continued with my working day for 20 minutes later the same issue with the vehicle I then waited an hour and half to be recovered to the nearest garage.

As soon as my van was in the garage they said it would be at least a day or so before they could look at it and repair it so I contacted green flag to arrange a replacement vehicle as per my policy.

I was told on the phone it was arranged for two days and to expect a call within two hours to arrange delivery of the vehicle I even was asked for the delivery address for the replacement vehicle.

Two hours later I received a call stating that the hire company had no availability and to wait till the morning.

The following day 11am I have another call from the hire company they say that they will get me a vehicle out the next day in the late afternoon so there goes two days worth of business and countless lost customers.

I then asked what I would need to do the hire company said they don’t deliver the vehicle and that I would have to make my way to the office to collect miles from my home at further cost to me.

I contacted green flag about this they said there’s nothing they can do it’s subject to availability and washed there hands of me I cancelled the policy on the spot.

In summary

I was stupid for going cheap stick with the AA you pay for what you get.

If you are a business there policy isn’t worth the paper it’s written on there is no real cover for you.

They subcontract all of there business out so there is no real support I’m sure they don’t employ anyone themselves

Unfortunately as a new business we have learnt a very difficult lesson don’t rely on companies like this when things go wrong.

I just hope we can recover from the damage caused

Reviewed on 30th March 2022
Mansfield Landscape Management's avatar
Mansfield Landscape Management

Incompetence that puts you and your family in danger

Truly the worst, most incompetent and dangerous company we've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. We broke down in light snow with 3 young children in the back of the car (including a tiny toddler). Immediately called Green Flag who checked our ac Read more

Immediately called Green Flag who checked our account and confirmed they would get someone out to us within the hour, and a text would follow within 5-10 minutes to give a better ETA - great.
Waited over half an hour and called back - was told the first people they'd tried "hadn't got the right type of vehicles to rescue us" (from less than 1cm of snow, just a few miles from several large towns). However they'd absolutely get someone else to come out very soon - no problem.
Called back 45 mins later as still had heard nothing, and the kids were getting anxious. Told the call was now with their "technical team" though they couldn't explain why, and they didn't have any contact with that team so couldn't get an update.
Waited another 30 mins and called back, now nearly 2 hours after the first call - assured someone would call us back shortly.
Waited 20 mins more and called back as now going dark and temperatures about to drop - told they "couldn't rescue us because their terms and conditions stated this was a safety hazard for their employees because of the <1cm snow, and therefore they were never able to come and help us." This after nearly 3 hours of waiting with young children. No solution offered, so I demanded to speak to a manager - several days later STILL waiting for that manager to call me. Had to rescue ourselves, at our own expense and with 3 little ones in tow.
Utterly incompetent, disgustingly uncaring and indifferent to their own customers, and worst of all perfectly happy to put/leave their customers in danger with zero effort or any attempt to help.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, GO WITH LITERALLY ANY OTHER COMPANY - you'd even be better off on your own.

Reviewed on 10th January 2022
Andrew's avatar
Andrew

Beware they will not honour the policy

WARNING Women with children stay clear On the way to lapland with a small child. Clutch failed one hour from lapland ascot. Pulled over , called greenflag, only me and my young child in the car. Advised they would take us and car to one destination Read more

WARNING Women with children stay clear

On the way to lapland with a small child. Clutch failed one hour from lapland ascot. Pulled over , called greenflag, only me and my young child in the car. Advised they would take us and car to one destination. Initially I said hotel but then changed my mind after ringing around garages in the area and establishing it might take 3 weeks to repair. Policy was to be taken home. Sam from collateral brought us to 'Frankly services' , she was just lovely, but couldn't offer us much help, this is the only positive to the story , thank you Sam. I asked if she could take us the Birmingham Airport to rent a car, she asked if she could but request was refused by control.
I phoned greenflag to establish if they could get me a hire car, happy to pay. They gave me a number, which shut at 1pm in Saturday. It was 4pm by now. The relay from Gloucestershire to Liverpool, could have been 2 to 4 different stops. Then they decided no they would get me a courtesy car.
The car arrived, 16 years old
-no isolfix for child seat
-Windows didn't work-fire hazard
- all seatbeats in back of car smashed beyond use, except the middle one which was one belt across the middle
-no sat nav
- no facility to charge phone despite having 3 hours by the road side
-pitch black darkness off a motorway with a small child
- had to find a hotel off the motorway and wait until morning to travel home
- 3 days later no car, no contact
-asked if car could be dropped at a particular garage , which they did . But expected me to drive banger to garage to hand over banger. I kept telling them there was no isofix , I also have a new born. All day to and fro, 18 calls when I was in a meeting.
Received a text stating they would be with me at 11:04, 12.10 nothing
Then panic and call after call.
Stated that they would put car back on the truck if I didn't come to meet them, despite dangers identified.
Text me "truck won't fit down your street" and they were now dropping car at my address!
Left car in the road by the garage .
Umpteen calls to managers , worse than useless.
Never again, green flag are appalling.
What an awful experience, no compassion or empathy for the situation. Disgraceful customer service. No support despite circumstances and offer to pay in full. They just didn't help or bother a woman with a small child stranded in darkness at the side of a motorway worst nightmare

Reviewed on 3rd December 2021
Amanda Casey's avatar
Amanda Casey

AWFUL EXPERIENCE

Worst experience! STAY AWAY Worst experience! Took me 12 hours to get from Essex to Worthing (100 miles) Got dropped off at a services alone at night. Explained to GF I was afraid as it was 2am but they were not that bothered. Every time I trie Read more

Worst experience! STAY AWAY
Worst experience!

Took me 12 hours to get from Essex to Worthing (100 miles)

Every time I tried calling I was on hold for 50-60 minutes when I totalled my wait time up it added up to a total of almost 5 hours just on hold to speak with someone…

Just so you know……. If you need a towing service (like I did) they won’t tow you all the way home and it will take two or three drop offs….. but the drop offs won’t match up so I was told (after a 4 hour wait) that it was going to be another 4 HOURS at the service station before the next pick up was due to arrive…..

By the time I get home it will have taken me a total of 12 hours from calling GF to walking in my door…..

12 HOURS to travel a total distance of 100 miles…. Alongside 5 hours of being on hold.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! There’s reason as to why they are cheap!

Reviewed on 23rd October 2021
donnaclara2004@yahoo.com's avatar
donnaclara2004@yahoo.com

They fit the bill

Ticks all our boxes on breakdown insurance, the caravan ,car and personnel cover, What's not to like

Reviewed on 9th October 2021
Tony S's avatar
Tony S

No response when I use the app for assistance

No response when I use the app for assistance Complained to Green Flag they said they were sorry and thanked me for letting them know Waste of the time I won’t be using them ever again

Reviewed on 21st September 2021
John Jeffery's avatar
John Jeffery

Waste

Been with greenflag paying 14 quid per month for any car for 2 years. everytime I try and use it, they say vehicle too old or vehicle not covered. next I try again with all them conditions and because i bought a new car and it was not taxed, they would no Read more

Been with greenflag paying 14 quid per month for any car for 2 years. everytime I try and use it, they say vehicle too old or vehicle not covered. next I try again with all them conditions and because i bought a new car and it was not taxed, they would not recover it all though it was taxed and takes time too update on the system. at £168 per year and get nothing out of it, I feel I have been giving too a charity. I am soo pissed off and should have stuck with the AA. Do not bother with this company, WASTE OF MONEY!

Reviewed on 26th August 2020
Tony Robinson's avatar
Tony Robinson

A WASTE OF TIME & MONEY, DO NOT USE !

Been with Green Flag a number of years with a policy that covers me whatever car i am driving. As a KEY WORKER I was carrying a hospital patient going for chemotherapy treatment al Lincoln County Hospital but not in my own car when i broke down on route Read more

Been with Green Flag a number of years with a policy that covers me whatever car i am driving. As a KEY WORKER I was carrying a hospital patient going for chemotherapy treatment al Lincoln County Hospital but not in my own car when i broke down on route at Louth. called Green Flag, put on hold for about fifteen minutes then asked for the reg number of the car i was driving, gave them all the info they requested then told the car was to old for them to come out but they could offer help at a cost in excess of £100
BEEN WITH OUTFIT FOR YEARS AT OVER £14 PER MONTH, NOT ANY MORE

Reviewed on 4th July 2020
DAVID DIAMONDd's avatar
DAVID DIAMONDd

Brilliant Service .

Help was with us with in 34minutes . The recovery guy was so reassuring and helpful from Forrest Rescue .- Thank you . We are glad we are with Green Flag .

Reviewed on 23rd February 2020
Bev's avatar
Bev

Appalling service

Being stranded on the M5 a few weeks ago for 6 hours for Green Flag was enough for me to join the 4th Emergency service the next day. It was the first and last time I would ever use them

Reviewed on 25th November 2019
Mark Morris's avatar
Mark Morris

Fantastic Service!

Been a member for several years, today was the first time I have needed their help. From the initial phone call to the resolution of the problem was less than an hour! The mechanic couldn't have been more helpful and polite.

Reviewed on 13th September 2019
Maureen Parry's avatar
Maureen Parry

Greenflag don't care if you have young children

I have been with them for 5 years used first time. I had two young children and stuck on hard shoulder of the motorway. I learnt that as they want to save money they arrange for u to be driven to different services. I must have rang them 10 times! Explain Read more

I have been with them for 5 years used first time. I had two young children and stuck on hard shoulder of the motorway. I learnt that as they want to save money they arrange for u to be driven to different services. I must have rang them 10 times! Explained had young kids they gave me wrong ETA times. I felt stranded at last service. Please dont use them the second tow guy clearly told me if you were with Aa or Rac I wpuld have towed u down. I explained this to Greenflag I was dismissed that drivers can only work certain hours although the first driver had told me he just started his shift. My 2 hrs journey home took 8 hours!!! Greenflag are appalling. I dont know whats wrong with my car as the first tow guy didnt check told me to go to a garage

Reviewed on 9th September 2019