Barclays Bank Account Reviews

Ratings based on 4,342 reviews       Last review 2 days ago

Barclays bank account reviews come from people like you! With so many different current accounts now available, you can read these honest Barclays current account reviews to find out what life as a Barclays customer is really like. And remember, if you are a Barclays customer, you can write a short review here to help other potential customers. Smart Money People is the UK's leading financial services review site and dedicated to being an independent and honest source of Barclays bank account reviews. Together, we can make financial services work better for everyone.

Barclays Review Insight

Your Bank Account Reviews

4,342 reviews

Review Barclays's Bank Account now

Poor service, scam prevention and handling

Worst bank when it comes to customer service and scam protection. I have waited almost 6 months to pick up my scam claim, for which I had to go to a branch because otherwise it’s impossible to reach them. And after they picked up my claim, of course they said that they are unable to refund my money. The scam protection/ prevention is one of the poorest, nothing compared to Lloyds Bank, which I find them more interested in preventing these things and protecting the customers. I just lost almost £900 and after such a poor service, I closed all my accounts with Barclays.

Reviewed on 3rd August 2021
Diana Barbu's avatar
Diana Barbu

Scum

I applied for a mortgage with this shambles of a company. Please anybody think of doing the same stop… immediately ... Read more

They will accept you on principle, you’ll pay there fees and they will filter you. If they see others to lend to for what ever reason the decision in principle will be taken apart

Meanwhile 2 months have gone by

Utter scumbags

Reviewed on 13th July 2021
Chris Saunders's avatar
Chris Saunders

Scam artists in suits

They declined a dd of £8. Then charge me £20 for having to decline an £8 dd, due to insufficient ballance. They tell me nothing while fining me for going into "unarranged od", then 3 months later they threatened me with debt collectors for a £200 "de... Read more

They declined a dd of £8. Then charge me £20 for having to decline an £8 dd, due to insufficient ballance. They tell me nothing while fining me for going into "unarranged od", then 3 months later they threatened me with debt collectors for a £200 "debt".

Barclays is also the innovator of the "PPI" scam.

They are the biggest b word out there, stay far away.

Reviewed on 8th July 2021
Dragos Olar V's avatar
Dragos Olar V

Awful customer service

With out a doubt the most awful bank on the high street. Long long queues expect up to an hours wait. Shortened opening hours because of COVID, what a joke the rest of the country is opening up. One counter open. Don’t get me started on their customer service phone line. Expect an hour at Least on the phone with no resolution at the end. Do not open an account at Barclays, all they want to do is cut staff costs, shut branches all at the expense of customer service.
I have been a customer for 40 years not for much longer though. Awful awful awful

Reviewed on 29th June 2021
Stephen Wodhams's avatar
Stephen Wodhams

Very average

My perception is that there is absolutely no loyalty involved unlike many years ago. Service less than great during lockdown and many fewer branches. I pay 18 per month for a travel plus account but cannot travel due to lockdown

Reviewed on 26th June 2021
Jm picton's avatar
Jm picton

Worse bank ever for security issues and fraudulent activities!

Ongoing fraudulent transactions on my account, person information hacked/changed causing security... Read more

Ongoing fraudulent transactions on my account, person information hacked/changed causing security issues.

I have had a number of transactions not of my own, thus money taken from my account - when requesting help to file claims and be reimbursed, Barclays failed to do so.

I have never had an issue confirming security over the phone til now, when apparently my date of birth is no longer correct!

Disgraceful customer service!

Lack of assistance in times of need!

Security issues regards personal information/data!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EVERYONE AVOID THIS BANK, AND IF POSSIBLE I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU ALL TO SWITCH TO ANOTHER ASAP!

Reviewed on 22nd June 2021
annom782's avatar
annom782

Great security and good service

Online security and app is very good

Reviewed on 20th June 2021
Simon Emary's avatar
Simon Emary

Barclays sucks as a bank

I have been with Barclays for over 20 years, my first bank. All of a sudden I receive a letter from them to say, my account will be closed. I have been ringing around and been passed from person to person, no explanation was or is given. Now apparently, I might be black listed and might not be able to open and account anywhere. I don't know what's happening or if there is something wrong, a way to to defend myself. No what you would expect from one of the major banks in UK. They are absolutely rubbish, I have to cancel all my direct debits and reset them in another bank somewhere now, I don't know if I can either.

I would not goto this bank at all ever again. They are also holding my sons money and not releasing it to him, again no reason. He has been trying to get through to them and do something about it, same thing, no answers.

Anyone reading this, leave if you are with them or don't join them I you are planning to.

Reviewed on 20th June 2021
zaheer butt's avatar
zaheer butt

fair trade econonmics

lot less people in debt with stable financial situations for family and business

Reviewed on 15th June 2021
hessie's avatar
hessie

Lack of caring towards customers

They are allowed to take your money out of your bank at any point they’d like and not give you a reason. I’d go with a different bank as this policy does nothing but leave you stressed and without money for living for as long as they think its Okay.

Reviewed on 18th May 2021
Kimia Davani's avatar
Kimia Davani

Awful personal experience

They don’t seem to care enough about their customers. If I could go back to 5 years ago I would have never opened an account with them.

Reviewed on 18th May 2021
Kimia Davani's avatar
Kimia Davani

Worst customer service experience I have ever received.

Worst customer service experience I have ever received. Been charged twice for something and the staff clearly don't care and have ignored me both on the phone and over the live chat, which hardly works anyway. Terrible company who obviously treat the staff so badly that they provide this awful experience.

Reviewed on 17th May 2021
Lucas's avatar
Lucas

bad

poor customer service not helping at all playing ping -pongs not explaining anything talk like a robots

Reviewed on 17th May 2021
Liutauras's avatar
Liutauras

telephone service, telephone payments, branch closures and counter opening times

AVOID AVOID AVOID !!!!!! having been a barclays customer for over 20years i must say that i am appaled at the telephone banking experience and the website. having tried to make an online pyment over the daily limit, you get a pop up text box asking you to telephone a number for customer services who can help you. Well the nightmare begins, all automated questions and no option to just talk to somebody, when i eventually got through i was told that a different team could make the payment, but you cannot have thier number (the telephone banking payments team) i told them what i needed to do and was told that their limit is only £15k so the online system, knowing the issue points you to the wrong place!!!! i was then told that the only way to make the payment was to go into the branch (my 2 local branches have been closed!!!), so i have to go into town during the working week, ooh, and the counter is now only open between 10am and 2pm!!! GET A GRIP BARCLAYS!!!!! we are coming out of a lockdown yet you have to travel to get a payment made. Barclays need to stop closing branches, increase counter opening times and also get with modern times with telephone banking so that payments of any size can be made. i have several accounts with Barclays, all of which i shall now be closing.
My advice to to bank with METRO BANK - better opening times, and miles better customer telephone banking team

Reviewed on 7th May 2021
IB's avatar
IB

Horrible, absolutely horrible.

I've Been a client of theirs for 11 years now and I'm not even eligible for a small car loan or a credit... Read more

I've Been a client of theirs for 11 years now and I'm not even eligible for a small car loan or a credit card.

3 years ago I applied for a credit card as I was receiving weekly posts/emails about applying for one, when I did, my application was denied for a very vague reason. Fast forward 3 years, my credit score was suddenly slashed by 90 points because of an account that was closed, care to guess who the account was with? Yup, Barclays. They had opened up an account for me without my knowledge and closed it due to inactivity as I didn't even know I had it which resulted in my score being slashed 90 points, and they didn't even acknowledge the mistake. Stay away from them.

Reviewed on 23rd April 2021

Reviewed on 16th April 2021
James Hamilton-Bird's avatar
James Hamilton-Bird

Best bank

Very secure and available everywhere

Reviewed on 16th April 2021
reda@redaafify.com's avatar
reda@redaafify.com

Bank Account Review

I find the bank, safe, secure and customer focused. Held account for 50 years. Well pleased to continue

Reviewed on 15th April 2021

Reviewed on 14th April 2021
Robyn Ella's avatar
Robyn Ella

Reliable

Been using them for years for my personal card and every time their service and highly-effective security has been fantastic.

Reviewed on 14th April 2021