HSBC Fixed Rate Mortgage Reviews

Ratings based on 60 reviews       Last review 3 weeks ago

HSBC mortgage reviews can help you to find out what other Smart Money People have to say about what could be your biggest ever financial purchase. Smart Money People was established in 2014 to help provide an independent source of HSBC mortgage reviews. You write your mortgage reviews here to help other people find the best mortgage providers. Together, we can make financial services work better for everyone.

HSBC Review Insight

Voting in the Insurance Choice Awards is now open!VOTE NOW

Your Fixed Rate Mortgage Reviews

Review HSBC's Fixed Rate Mortgage now

Responsive to need

You can have a personal meeting with your mortgage broker and discuss realistic needs

Reviewed on 7th September 2021
Angelina N Gardner's avatar
Angelina N Gardner

Poor customer service

Despite a relatively straightforward application and approval process, now we have the mortgage, customer services fail to pick up the phone every time we call. I requested they change the bank account they take our payments from, completed on the phone, then continued to come out of the wrong account. Another hour today spent trying to get through to them on the phone and still on hold. When we come to remortgage, we won't be sticking with HSBC.

Reviewed on 6th September 2021
Fed up's avatar
Fed up

Offered vastly lower amount going direct

Looking to remortgage, went through a broker who got me a good deal through HSBC - however, as my existing mortgage is with HSBC he couldn't proceed on my behalf and he was told I had to go... Read more

Looking to remortgage, went through a broker who got me a good deal through HSBC - however, as my existing mortgage is with HSBC he couldn't proceed on my behalf and he was told I had to go direct.
Going direct HSBC could only offer me £75,000 (or 40%) LESS than I'd been offered through the broker, and elsewhere.
Absolutely useless.

Reviewed on 6th July 2021
Steve's avatar
Steve

dissapointed

As exsiting HSBC customer I expected more support applying for mortgage, but left deeply dissapointed. Completed the application online and uploded requested documents, which was ok, but then needed to wait entire two weeks for the advice appointment to progress the application. Mortgage adviser sent a request just before appointment for new payslips and other documents, which were not possible to forward just because of short notice. I did not see any attempts to help , just trying to pull as back in every step, then two hours planned appointment ended in ten minutes with her predictions that they probably would not lend requested amount. I feel that I lost my valuable time with them.

Reviewed on 15th June 2021
dambu's avatar
dambu

Quick Decision

Very relaxing the whole process... and everything happened as planned... very well done HSBC

Vasco Antonio's avatar
Vasco Antonio

Fantastic rate for 5 year fixed rate

Fantastic cost effective rate for their 5 year fixed rate mortgage and very straightforward online application to change my rate with very knowledgeable customer service staff. Mortgage allows overpayment so reducing the interest owed

JacquiS 's avatar
JacquiS

Simple

Simple move from one fixed rate to another product

Darren Sharp's avatar
Darren Sharp

Great experience for first time buyers

HSBC Weston Super Mare branch were helpful and clear with their guidance. We have a 5 year fixed term mortgage on our first house with affordable repayments.

Reviewed on 14th January 2020

Reviewed on 13th January 2020
J Robson's avatar
J Robson

Best rates and quick

A very organised and quick bank to get a mortgage with, this all made the process so much quicker!

Reviewed on 21st November 2019
Sally05's avatar
Sally05

Friendly and professional

Everyone one speaks to is very friendly and highly professional. One can actually speak to real people.

Reviewed on 20th November 2019
symonsmark@aol.com's avatar
symonsmark@aol.com

May as well organise a mortgage yourself

Used HSBC for the mortgage on a new property. Simply put we were 'porting' our current HSBC mortgage from the old to the new house and taking out a second HSBC mortgage to cover the difference. The maths was Mortgage 1 + mortgage 2 = the price of the new house (minus what we put in in terms of equity on the old property)

HSBC applied the following maths. Mortgage 1 - mortgage 2 = £97,000 short of what we needed. I voiced concern this was wrong and this was ignored for 10 weeks straight, despite repeated e-mails and phone calls. 2 days before exchange our lawyers got involved and pointed this out. HSBC finally accepted the mistake as one of the advisors having made a cock up. I expressed dismay that the mistake wasn't picked up by underwriting and the fact theres a single point of failure that can go all the way through to exchange.

I wrote a letter asking HSBC to alter their procedures so no single mistake could go through to exchange without a second check to detect it, a relatively easy process to employ. HSBC refused stating it was 'too difficult' to implement this. From someone that works in a safety related industry where procedures change the whole time I know this not to be true. HSBC then suggested it was the lawyers that were to blame, ironic when it was the lawyers that THEY INSISTED i use. That cost me £1004 in cancelled legal fees from the original lawyers I instructed. Again HSBC denied any wrong doing as it's in their terms and conditions. I might also remind them 'learning from mistakes and putting things right is also in the T&Cs but they failed to do that by refusing to change very poor procedures. HSBC then went on to suggest I was the second line of defence on mistakes and I should have picked up the mistake. I pointed out I was not a financial adviser but I had highlighted a mistake and I had been ignored. Ironically then HSBC seemed to ignore me when I further pushed this point. I would summarise they actively encourage weak procedures so they can use plausible deniability. In the end I was offered £250 and the ombudsman agreed this was fair because the legal issue and the procedures issue they do not look into as it's not their area of responsibility. I contacted the FCA who seemed largely disinterested but 'added it to their statistics'.

Now i know how the 2008 financial crash occurred. In my industry this standard would not be accepted.

Taking my mortgage and bank elsewhere at the end of my fixed mortgage term. That will cost HSBC a lot more than £1004 i can assure them.

In summary a totally incompetent and mismanaged process, and very unlikely to be a one off given the weak procedures to prevent such things happening.

Reviewed on 3rd July 2019
Alexis Jonckheer's avatar
Alexis Jonckheer

Extremely disappointed

I've been baking with HSBC for over 8 years, and have had a great relationship with them, until applying for a mortgage online. The process was extremely fast and I thought this was a good sign, until they made a decision on my application in 3 days and declined my application on my credit score, which is rated as very good by both Experian and Equifax. I'm lost for words with HSBC as they are clearly incapable of accepting applicants that don't meet their stringent criteria, of which I have asked HSBC to clarify on how I can apply again in the future with better Hope's, and they simply replied with "we cannot share this information and it is commercially sensitive". HSBC don't take into consideration loyal customers and I will certainly stop banking with them until the foreseeable future, really is their loss.

Reviewed on 18th June 2019
Younus's avatar
Younus

Review

Just a test review ...............

Reviewed on 13th June 2019
test's avatar
test

easy and fast

good experience no issues during the process and all got sorted as needed.

Reviewed on 16th April 2019
jakeworn's avatar
jakeworn

Standard product, slow service

The people at the bank were good and knew what they were doing but the people on the phone were clueless. It took about 7 phone calls to establish that they did in fact have all the info they needed. All smooth sailing after it was approved though.

Reviewed on 16th April 2019
Sarah Webb's avatar
Sarah Webb

Box Tickers

I bank with HSBC personally and the company also banks with them, and this part of the bank is fantastic, but the mortgage section is on a different planet. In essence they are looking for any tick box reason not to process your application, they are slow, it is beyond them to use common sense, and even when you send them every thing they ask for still no action. In short great bank, excellent interest rates, absolutely rubbish mortgage department.

Reviewed on 15th March 2019
Mortgage mad's avatar
Mortgage mad

Bank bank

Love HSBC best mortgage deals anywhere. Also taken out affordable loans

Reviewed on 10th February 2019
Kelly Sayer's avatar
Kelly Sayer

Enabled us to get the house we truly wanted.

The whole process was friendly, simple and efficient when applying in person. All staff were knowledgable and professional. The rates offered to us and mortgage term times enabled us the peace of mind that we can afford the house thats right for us, the one we had truly set our sights on. Having banked with HSBC for over 15 years and having had a previous mortgage with them with no issues from either meant it was a definite choice to stick with them.

Reviewed on 1st January 2019
SD88's avatar
SD88

Dreadful

Ask if they use QCAS legal? If they do say BYE. QCAS legal are very poor communicatotors and will cost you more more money. I am in the 5th month of a small remortage that I have spent over £1000 to set up.

Reviewed on 29th December 2018