Bath Building Society: Mortgages reviews

Based on 142 reviews, last reviewed 27th Jan 2023
12% decrease in 5 star reviews

Very helpful service My chat request was answered very quickly, and clear answers were given. Nick was extremely helpful and pleasant. Reviewed on: 27th January 2023

Poor service Very poor contact.Lost count on the amount of calls made. No pace no urgency or keeping customers informed. Nearly 5 months to process once signed the... Read more Reviewed on: 12th December 2022

About the Mortgages

Bath Building Society mortgage reviews can help you to find out what other Smart Money People have to say about what could be your biggest ever financial purchase. Smart Money People was established in 2014 to help provide an independent source of Bath Building Society mortgage reviews. You write your mortgage reviews here to help other people find the best mortgage providers. Together, we can make financial services work better for everyone.

Review Bath Building Society: Mortgages now

Bath Building Society Mortgages reviews (142)

Very helpful service

Reply from Bath Building Society Thank you for taking the time out and providing this feedback. I'm glad Nick was able to assist you and will pass on your comments. Ben Hutchings, Head of Mortgage Sales Response date: 27th January 2023

Good product but time-consuming

The mortgage advisor at Bath (Ian Birch) was excellent and always responded immediately to any questions. I cannot rate him highly enough! Once the application was submitted however, the process became more arduous. For example my husband and I were asked for a signed gift letter, this had already been submitted. We were also asked for statements for an account that we didn’t have - turned out that this was our daughter’s account and the request should have been sent to her. It also wasn’t made clear at the initial application that screen shots would not be acceptable - if this had been stated it would have saved a lot of time. And the whole process took so long that we were requested to provide yet more bank statements as the ones that had been submitted were out of date! It also would have been helpful to be informed via email that our mortgage offer had been made, as with the postal strike it took several days to reach us and the sellers were getting anxious. Reviewed on: 12th January 2023
Reply from Bath Building Society Thank you for taking the time out and providing this feedback. I will pass on your kind comments to Ian. Please accept my apologies if we asked for information again and the time that it took to get you a mortgage offer. Sometimes it can be out of our hands but we are always looking at ways to speed up and improve our services with our customers. I wish you well for a speedy completion. Ben Hutchings, Head of Mortgage Sales Response date: 12th January 2023
Bath Building Society

Bit of a problem but sorted very quickly by talking to the right man!!

I had some problems getting documents I needed to do with my Buy to Let mortgages. This was due to either misunderstandings, or lack or knowledge or training. After several failed attempts I phoned Ben Hutchings who had helped me in the past, he put wheels in motion and sorted immediately even though it wasn't really his responsibility. Thank you Ben!!! Reviewed on: 11th January 2023
Paul Wells's avatar
Paul Wells
Reply from Bath Building Society Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback Paul. We know Ben will always go out of his way to help when he can so it's great to know that's appreciated, we'll definitely pass your comments on. Jo Gillow, Digital Communications Manager. Response date: 11th January 2023

Efficient, Helpful and Contactable

We have just completed our re-mortgage to the Bath Building Society. Our first very positive experience was that the mortgage deal we were offered in September '22 was the deal we now have in January '23 - a period when the mortgage market dramatically changed and where mortgage products and offers in principle were being withdrawn. We found the underwriting process efficient and thorough which is, frankly, reassuring. However, the stand out feature for us was the ability to communicate with members of the mortgage admin team, quickly, by telephone or email, who were able to deal with our enquiries there and then and when they couldn't actually got back in contact with us within a few hours with the answer. This has not been our experience with other financial institutions. It's also worth noting how friendly and courteous everyone we have come into contact with has been. Reviewed on: 5th January 2023
Reply from Bath Building Society Thank you for taking the time out and providing this feedback. This is great to hear. We do pride ourselves on being able to provide good service and that's the benefit of dealing with a small Society. Thanks again. Ben Hutchings, Head of Mortgage Sales Response date: 5th January 2023
Bath Building Society

Do you have a different Bath Building Society product?

Bath Building Society has a range of products available. Check the ratings of each product to find the right one for you. View all products