Barclays Reviews

Ratings based on 5,195 reviews       Last review 2 days ago

Barclays reviews can help you to find out more about this bank. Barclays' purpose is to help people achieve their ambitions in the right way. Smart Money People is the place for Barclays reviews, so tell us about your customer experience today. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Barclays Review Insight

Best Business Banking Provider Winner of ‘Best Business Banking Provider’ in the British Bank Awards 2017

Bank Account

Always treated well at the bank , online and via telephone communication

Reviewed on 8th April 2021
S's avatar
S

Barclays

simply, not impressed. not very helpful, often quite unprofessional in more than one way. wouldnt recommend to a friend.

Reviewed on 7th April 2021
Cliff Webb's avatar
Cliff Webb

Personal Loan

great interest rates

attached to my bank account, easy to use and great low interest rates

Reviewed on 7th April 2021
Katherine smith's avatar
Katherine smith

Personal feelings lost

Although Barclays has been my primary Bank for a long time, it does feel as though with the closing of branches and move to Mobile and internet banking, the personal relationship has gone. It takes far too long to contact customer services and the app chat does nothing else but redirects you to phone contacts system... I still trust Barclays to be my main partner as the range of products they offer covers all my needs, present and future!

Reviewed on 30th March 2021
Sebastien's avatar
Sebastien

Business Banking

Terrible business and technical support

The business banking managers have been not much help over the years (we banked with Barclays as a business for 12 years now). The latest is that they push you to talk via app chat, which is an absolutely dreadful experience - speaking with people in India, after explaining the matter in details, I get asked questions that I already answered, responses not useful - scripted, no intelligence being applied - clear lack of training, halfway through conversation the person left, another one joined. After 50 minutes - got nowhere. Call centre experience slightly better - a lady in the UK was trying to be helpful, but again, just going through scripted motions (again 52 minutes later got nowhere). In the end, it turned out to be Barclays system issues, that my partner (who is software engineer) pointed out to them (not sure if they will fix it in their end). But as a busy business person, I had to spend 2 hours getting nowhere (getting frustrated), and if it was not for my partner pointing the issue, who knows how much longer it would have taken.

On the side of business support, the business managers are personable, but again I never got any value out of them. From not highlighting services that might be useful to us, to not being much help on any credit applications (we get our credit from Funding Circle - they have great customer service, better processes and better rates).

Maybe once the business reaches a certain size, the service level increases at Barclays, but as a micro 10-20 employee company owner, I am not impressed. We need to find a better bank, just need to get around to moving - but I think this latest "chat" experience is the last straw.

Reviewed on 28th March 2021
Laura P's avatar
Laura P

Lovely staff

Cool and lovely staff they need more support to low income customer's

Reviewed on 22nd March 2021
Fora sandros's avatar
Fora sandros

Discrimination

Barclays Bank in my experience has been terrible. I first opened my account with Barclays because- as with most us- my father and his father before him had been with Barclays. However, whenever i go busking and have a lot of coins to pay in, the counter (the only place that accepts coins) at my local branch is only open between 11 and 2 on weekdays only. When explaining to one of many useless employees who are just milling around that I have school during the week and between 11 and 2 meaning that i can therefore never pay in my cash i was told that essentially that’s my problem. In comparison, when i have then gone on to tell them that my dad is a premier customer, then all of a sudden the situation changes and now they are prepared to take my money? It is blatant discrimination based on the fact that I am just a scruffy teenager (and I’m barely even that!).

Reviewed on 19th March 2021
Oliver Gregory's avatar
Oliver Gregory

Bank Account

Interesting experience in all my transaction App easy to use and very interactive

Reviewed on 18th March 2021
Adeyemi Adeboye's avatar
Adeyemi Adeboye

Banking

I find asking for help using online banking a chore and there is very little help

Carl kaylow's avatar
Carl kaylow

Amazing Bank!!!

The staff so kind always help and solve what I need!!! Just no words.. I tell everyone I know go and get Barclays bank account so easy the app or online website. the staff so kind and professional!!

Ale Anselmo's avatar
Ale Anselmo

Bank Account

Does what it says on the tin

You are required to have a log in pin of 5-digits and you can be sure that it is a secure connection as they have a secret message on the login - I feel confident using the app knowing I'm on a safe and secured... Read more

You are required to have a log in pin of 5-digits and you can be sure that it is a secure connection as they have a secret message on the login - I feel confident using the app knowing I'm on a safe and secured page!
I don't have much complaints about Barclays as a bank except that they don't really tell YOU how to make the best out of their services. Of course they have the information out there for you but you have to first find it - with the exception of the savings quiz.
I really liked the BlueRewards scheme, but they decreased the rewards in recent times, as well as a drastic decrease in the savings rate for the blue rewards saver last autumn dropping to 0.01%!
Sometimes it is just better to call the customer service line itself as some of the staff on the live chat do not seem knowledgeable about the app functions or usually have some kind of misunderstanding about the query.

Eunice Suitor-Grant's avatar
Eunice Suitor-Grant

Business Banking

hard to get through to on the phone, especially since covid. do they care? nope

They're a bank, all business banks are the same, broadly they resent having customers disturbing a peaceful day on Facebook. Lots of defects in online banking etc.

Reviewed on 14th March 2021
Abelljms's avatar
Abelljms

Bank Account

Great if you have money in your account

Have found their help is relative to your bank balance. The staff are friendly although they have closed most of the branches.

Reviewed on 12th March 2021
Sumpop's avatar
Sumpop

Cash ISA

Good customer support but poor on ethics and investments drag it all down

Barclays offers very low-interest rates on all its accounts despite high profits. They have a quick and good smartphone app which is a good thing but it's what you'd expect. The most pressing issue for me is their climate pledge and investment in fossil fuels. I don't like the fact that my money is with an unethical company that in a way greenwashes its actions with public relations stunts. I never had any issues with the bank but the low ambition and lack of ethical products along with their investment record were sufficient for me to begin moving my money. It's sad but if we don't force banks to re-think and change, they will do very little.

Reviewed on 4th March 2021
Maciej's avatar
Maciej

Utterly dreadful

As a new treasurer of a sports association I have had three unsuccessful phone calls (when I have eventually got through) just to be added to the account mandate. The mandate team have consistently given the wrong advice including attending a branch. The branch advised me they had not been doing business banking for 2 years.

There are currently people who have access to the club accounts who are not even in the club and potentially could just empty the accounts without us being able to do anything about it.

Currently 40 minutes into my next phone call and still not sorted.

I can see one of my early jobs as treasurer will be move to a different bank!

Reviewed on 4th March 2021
Louise Pegg's avatar
Louise Pegg

Bank Account

Barclays is the worst thing ever

Just don't. Anything is bad with them, literally any, single,... Read more

Just don't. Anything is bad with them, literally any, single, thing.
I had to call 4 f-ing times to get a specific statement, 4 TIMES!
They lied to me when I asked about overdraft, just to find out later on in their Terms that I actually was eligible.
And list is longer, but yeah, stay away from Barclays

Reviewed on 2nd March 2021
Maccabro's avatar
Maccabro

Worst customer service

One of the worst customer service ever out there. Hanging up on people. Absolutely disgusting.... Read more

We were scammed by someone using an account in your bank and instead of getting reassurance from you that something is being done, that this is being looked at, your customer service is just rude, absolutley awful and treats the victims like criminals.

It feels like you like protecting the criminals using your accounts.

You are absolutely disgusting!!!!!!

Reviewed on 21st February 2021
Maria Rose Lw's avatar
Maria Rose Lw

Great customer service

I always get great service from Barclays. I wouldn't bank anywhere else.

Reviewed on 17th February 2021
Miss A V's avatar
Miss A V

Trusted

Helping you to the most of their ability and knowledge. They will look after your money and suggest new products can help you with managing your account.

Reviewed on 17th February 2021
Vhinny's avatar
Vhinny

Bank Account

Very good and helpful, and the app is very useful

Reviewed on 16th February 2021