Barclays Reviews

Ratings based on 5,171 reviews       Last review 1 hour ago

Barclays reviews can help you to find out more about this bank. Barclays' purpose is to help people achieve their ambitions in the right way. Smart Money People is the place for Barclays reviews, so tell us about your customer experience today. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Barclays Review Insight

Best Business Banking Provider Winner of ‘Best Business Banking Provider’ in the British Bank Awards 2017

Great Bank

Great online banking services, app easy to use. However the online chat facility via the app is a little frustrating as you can be waiting for quite sometime for an agent to answer your questions

Reviewed on 19th January 2021
Louise's avatar
Louise

Branches closing, costs increasing

I run a cash-based business (a pub). My local branch is closing imminently, so to get change or deposit cash at my bank I have a 20-30 minute drive in either direction. It took more than 4 hours to eventually contact someone by telephone when I had a problem (this included speaking to a member of staff working from home with screaming kids in the same room; being given the wrong number & having to ring back; waiting in a telephone queue for more than an hour...) Due to the pandemic my business is currently closed, but imagine trying to do that whilst also trying to serve my customers?! The fees for my account have shot up. I have been with Barclays for almost 30 years and have been very happy with their service until the last few years - now you have to have a turnover of more than £1 million to even have your own business banker. It's clear they are not at all interested in small businesses (except for milking us for charges) so I am sad I feel forced to leave. I intend to move all of my accounts - business and personal - to another bank.

Reviewed on 18th January 2021
Helen's avatar
Helen

Fixed Rate Mortgage

Complete mess, Clown Employees, Monkey org

If you want to lose chance of buying your dream house then go with Barclay otherwise don't even think about it. Over 2 months of my application and no one knows what is happening and none of the clowns sitting in call centers are willing to help.

Reviewed on 6th January 2021
janjua jee's avatar
janjua jee

Fixed Rate Mortgage

Completely inept employees

As a first time buyer it should be a pretty straight forward process for me, but it wasn’t, the people Barclays hire are completely incompetent at their jobs, we were consistently lied to for 3 months over a document that wasn’t sent out (they told us repeatedly they had) on top of all this, they decided to audit the mortgage application after they were delaying us constantly for around 4 months, this adding another couple of weeks on the the completion date. Please use another company other than Barclays, as soon as I can I will be cutting ties with this company and looking elsewhere. Seems they hire anyone and everyone who really shouldn’t be employed in any capacity.

Reviewed on 15th December 2020
Reece Scholes's avatar
Reece Scholes

Appalling.. No customer care

Appalling. Can't believe l just read barclays reviews now before l write my review. It's unbelievable.
I have had my online banking blocked.. Well l need to sort it out through the phone.l have waited for 35mins to talk on the phone which was cut before l even spoke to any one. Surely, Barclays, you know how this means to us during the pandemic. The customer care is non existent if not operational. Well in this time of economic restraints, can't believe this is the way you treat your customers.

Reviewed on 27th November 2020
George 's avatar
George

Great Bank

I have a Barclays basic account as a secondary account never had any issues. Find Barclays great to deal with and they deliver what they promise.

Reviewed on 28th October 2020
Jolene's avatar
Jolene

account locked

accounts locked. Phone calls upto 2 hours five and on the phone now. I was asked loads of questions and told its been unlocked tried to make a payment and its delayed again - I will move all my money as soon as they will let me !

Reviewed on 25th October 2020
John Young's avatar
John Young

Poor bank. Poor services

I'm not happy with the service I'm provided. There never is offers for me to take out for example a over draft and there never has been since I've been banking with you for over 8 years or more. I earn over £4,000 a month most months, I will pay the remaining loan balance off which is very low now and I will be leaving this bank. The bank is too hard work for me I struggle to call the bank never mind use the card reader which I have never been able to use or keep, I work and travel and this is no good for me. To even send a message to you you have to use the machine. Not happy at all. I've asked to leave once before to lloyds and you did not accept that move so I will be going to the fianaical ombudsman for advice on why you are able to put a stop to it.

Reviewed on 8th October 2020
Pip's avatar
Pip

Ridiculous Wait Times

Barclays have put a block on my debit card and it is now impossible to get through to the team to unblock it, I've spent hours - so much for premier banking! I've been with Barclays for 20 + years and will now be leaving!

Reviewed on 6th October 2020
Lloyd Nicholson's avatar
Lloyd Nicholson

Business Banking

Certainly the most useless and unreliable service I can imagine existing in the small business world

This is most certainly the most useless and unreliable service I can ever imagine existing in the business... Read more

This is most certainly the most useless and unreliable service I can ever imagine existing in the business world.
It made me doubt that I am in the UK as it gives the impression that I am in country with one telephone line only and am served by lazy and/or illiterate or perhaps non-existent clerks... They claim 24 hour hour access. Perhaps they mean this is the waiting time at any given point one tries to contact thm...Business banking with Barclays has been a painful punishment.
I opened a business bank account, but my clients cannot pay me, as as soon as they try, they get a message that the account is not associated with me. Also I cannot pay out from this account, I guess for the very same reason. Even PayPal wouldn't recognise the account.
After countless hours (who has this spare time?!?) spent on the phone line listening to the most tasteless and repetetive 2 lines of music, I feel that I want to close all my accounts in this bank and run elsewhere.
But firstly would like to share my misery and stupidity (trusting Barclays that they will facilitate the financial side of running my business) everywhere to warn and protect fellow small business owners from getting trapped in the same trap!
Nadia Hristova

Reviewed on 28th September 2020
Nadia Hristova's avatar
Nadia Hristova

Personal Loan

AJ ALONSO

Am just smiling as am posting this Comment because Michelle Trust Loan Company has made my family out of debts. It all started when my dad needed a loan of $15,000.00 to clear all the debt he was owing so i came across his email contact on the internet which is Facebook so i alerted my dad to apply for the loan from her and he did just that right now am very happy and great full for the help of Michelle Trust loans for giving my dad the loan,you can contact her now via this email to get yours you can text him via:+1(470) 485-4938

Reviewed on 23rd September 2020
Ojie Wakanda's avatar
Ojie Wakanda

Home Insurance

Avoid this company

Barclays Home Insurance will do all in their power to undercut a claim. Basically they refuse to replace an item like for like. Their policy booklet states that - ‘Replacement will be on a like for like basis or based on the nearest equivalent available in the current market.’ Don't believe this. All they offer is a cash settlement well below the current value of what is available.
Furthermore their customer care is appalling. They don't ring back when they say they will and when they eventually do, there is no hint of an apology. All you get is a load of dribble - anything to avoid paying up.

Reviewed on 21st September 2020
Dennis's avatar
Dennis

Barclays - best bank

Have dealt with Barclays bank for many years now, always extremely accommodating, friendly, helpful, happy staff. It is never too much trouble for them. Online and app banking system is also so easy to use.

Reviewed on 18th September 2020
Shani Edwards 's avatar
Shani Edwards

Bank Account

Great friendly service however required

I feel that Barclays bank offers second to none service whether in the branch or through their app. It is so easy to use their facilities and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Reviewed on 16th September 2020
Sharron Page's avatar
Sharron Page

Business Banking

Unable to make its own systems work

I am treasurer of a charity. For 6 months I have been trying to get a debit card to access accounts. Despite phone calls (each approx 1 hour wait), forms completed,numerous apologies, letter to CeO (passed on to an automatic respondent I think) more apologies and no action. No one is willing to take my complaint and sort out.

Reviewed on 15th September 2020
Andrew Cook's avatar
Andrew Cook

Bank

I have been with Barclays for a number of years they have always been understanding very helpful and polite every time I go in to see them if I have a problem it is always doubt with I do not need to go anywhere else as this is the best bank I've been... Read more

I have been with Barclays for a number of years they have always been understanding very helpful and polite every time I go in to see them if I have a problem it is always doubt with I do not need to go anywhere else as this is the best bank I've been with

Reviewed on 11th September 2020
Sandra 's avatar
Sandra

Home Insurance

Disappointed with cover when needed and how claim dealt with.

Have learnt more from my experience when making a claim on my insurance to find out they dont cover it on that wind speed or bad weather condition. Plus no empathy expressed when finding this out just matter of fact other than the first person l spoke to who actually asked if l wished to make a complaint and put that in motion. But to no avail it was not accepted as lots of assumption made on their before of why not even though l was in the house when it happened. Felt me as a claiment was dealt with more like a number and not as a person on the end of the phone or by letter. Disappointing customer care.

Reviewed on 10th September 2020
Tammy's avatar
Tammy

Very Good

never had an issue with this bank even when I've gone overdraft they send out a text with a time limit in witch i need to bring my balance back to £0 and always managed to do so in time

Reviewed on 2nd September 2020
Vanessa's avatar
Vanessa

Bank Account

Been with them for years efficient

Reviewed on 28th August 2020
Rosie Merc's avatar
Rosie Merc

Travel Insurance

Excellent service, very helpful adviser.

Due to coronavirus we had to cut short our dream trip to Australia incurring a additional cost for change of flight and cancelled hotel reservation. Our claim was dealt with quickly and efficiently. We've had this policy for several years and have never had to claim before. Thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed on 14th August 2020