HMRC Reviews

If you’re looking for the best place to read or write independent reviews of HMRC, then you’ve come to the right place. At Smart Money People, we aim to use the power of customer reviews to increase trust and transparency in financial services. If you’ve had experience with HMRC, good or bad - then why not leave a review and help others. We aim to be the biggest source of HMRC reviews online.

Good

Reviewed on 27th March 2021
vojta's avatar
vojta

GREAT SUPPORT

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT OR NEED TO APPLY FOR REGARDING YOUR LIFE IN UK. HMRC WILL HELP YOU GET IT SORTER.

Reviewed on 22nd May 2018
Maksims Zubkovs's avatar
Maksims Zubkovs

Business

For the rich not the poor, for the big people, not the little people. Making everything more confusing one step at a time.

I hate having to deal with these people, all their information is incorrect, there are way too many processes and forms that take forever, are complicated, and area always refused, there isnt enough help online, there arent enough people on the phone that can really help and they dont help in the step to step process. there arent there for the people, but they should be, the money that we pay, where does it go?! who does it help? how does it help? we dont know? i think we should know. we should have a clear view of HMRC and our Government, they dont have our best interests at heart, like everyone else they are only looking out for themselves and looking to get as much out of us as possible. they dont care about our living standards, or the fact that we are all skint. taking away privilages, taking from the poor and giving to the rich, waht kind of twisted world do we live in!?

Reviewed on 8th November 2017
Francesca Bound's avatar
Francesca Bound

Incompetent system and staff

I would have given no stars but did not have that option. The HMRC took half my neighbour's wage off him this week with no warning. He apparently owes them just over £400 from last year and they took £180 this week from £360 gross wage - leaving him with no way of paying his rent. The incompetent I spoke to took up most of my day stating the obvious I.e. He owes us the money so we can take it without warning. The guy is polish and does not understand but is petrified as he has 2 children and could be thrown out of his house. The operative from HMRC said she didn't believe that but I know it is true because of the documents he has signed. When he was asked to give his permission for them to speak to me he even had to ask the operative to repeat herself as she had a very strong Scottish accent which I who have English as my first language struggled to understand. Why are our systems so incompetent - by anybody's standards to take half of someone's weekly wage is ridiculous and should invoke a penalty. If we don't have dedicated phone lines or letters that can be provided in different languages then surely we could make it that people with very strong accents are not answering the phone - it's not rocket science is it - how did they ever meet the criteria for customer service?????
Having spent more than half the day on the phone the best I got was that they will take £9 / week in future until the debt is paid. Why couldn't they have done that in the first place!
The 'manager' I spoke to was clearly punching well below the intellectual weight for her position and when I mentioned the language she stated that 'they shouldn't come into the country if they can't speak the language and that it was their choice to do that'
At no point did she understand this mess is because of their incompetence and not his.
HMRC - the department and staff - Not Fit For Purpose

Reviewed on 3rd August 2016
Geraldine Nichols's avatar
Geraldine Nichols

NI summary

having recently contacted HMRC for an indication of National Insurance contributions for pension purposes, i would commend their efficient and expeditious service.

Reviewed on 24th December 2015
wendy's avatar
wendy

Personal

Takes long time to send a letter.

My first experience was lovely, so nice perssons, but my recent experience was far away from the first. I send a letter in august and they send me back another in november to ask me to send one more time an info that i send it already.

Reviewed on 12th November 2015
Tatiana's avatar
Tatiana

Really helpful

As a first time business owner I found the world of business admin really difficult to get my head around. But HMRC have made it really simple and I may just be lucky but the advisors I've had are always as helpful as anything.

Reviewed on 13th September 2015
Alan R's avatar
Alan R

A bit too sarcastic

It was my first time calling HMRC and while I don't think it will be my last, it was not a good experience. The agent started off friendly, but as the call continued it felt like the amount of sarcasm was increasing. Ok, I was asking a lot of questions, and maybe they were basic, but for me it was all new, so wanted to be sure I was understanding it.

Reviewed on 10th September 2015
Tom's avatar
Tom

Quite good

My experience of HMRC has been quite positive. Once you're on the phone (I always try to call start or end of day to avoid long wait times), the advisors try to help as much as possible.

Reviewed on 10th September 2015