The West Brom Building Society Reviews

The West Brom Building Society is a UK building society, with its headquarters in West Bromwich. Smart Money People is the place for The West Brom Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Average

The West Brom Building Society Review Insight

The West Brom Building Society Products 9

Fixed Rate Bond

Never recommended them to anyone

I opened up an isa account with the West Brom on Wednesday as wanted to build up enough to put as a deposit for my own place. Because of closing a standard book account and a isa a had withcthw West Brom when I was naive and a lot younger head office wrote stating that due to the recent activity on my account they were closing my account, which was quite strange to see in writing as since opening the account on Wednesday I had been waiting for the book to arrive at home in order to make monthly deposits into the account. Which wasn’t the reason the West Brom were closing the account. Rather then see if circumstances had changed and wait to see if I meant to build what money I needed for my own place the West Brom decided to close my account that I opened on Wednesday due to the naivety of my youth as the reason to close the account which was verified verbally by a member of staff on Saturday as well as today.

Reviewed on 22nd July 2019
Dev sanghera's avatar
Dev sanghera

Fixed Rate Mortgage

Awful mortgage - Strongly avoid!

This is company is terrible, just found out through my paper accounts that they sold me PPI insurance and we were not aware what we were originally signing up to. Overall, I would not recommend The West Brom, mainly because they offer poor mortgage percentage deals, no online accounts and their customer service team is hard to get hold of. I would highly recommend trying a leading Bank with online accounts and payments. The West Brom is outdated and does not offer customer service - Strongly avoid!

Reviewed on 9th April 2019
Amith 's avatar
Amith

BTL Mortgage - appauling legal team

Used West Brom for a BTL mortgage via my Limited Company. They make you pay for their legal fees (£1140.00) who ask for TONNES of ridiculous and unnecessary searches resulting in even more fees and an increase in my own solicitor fees because of the extra work. One of the searches is usually used for properties worth over 1 million but they wanted it for a 100k house!!!

Their legal team are appalling at communicating and causing unnecessary delays with a simple no chain purchase. I intend on buying 3 or 4 more properties this year and will not be using West Brom purely because of this.

Reviewed on 18th March 2019
KTC1980's avatar
KTC1980

West Bromwich accepted ID fraud

Discussed with this company, I was never informed hacker/ conman had 2 1/2 mortgage arrears with this appalling company

Reviewed on 20th August 2018
Elle Page's avatar
Elle Page

Fixed Rate Mortgage

West Bromwich accepted ID fraud.

Why did you accept ID fraud why with crucial evidence out of subject access file. Shits you are

Reviewed on 20th August 2018
Elle Page's avatar
Elle Page

mortgage

good communication and competitive rates

Reviewed on 1st June 2018
georgie's avatar
georgie

Savings

Helpful staff

Very helpful and friendly. They are always checking to see if they can offer me a better interest rate

Reviewed on 13th November 2017
Richard Rowley's avatar
Richard Rowley

Fixed Rate Mortgage

Unproblematic, but no website/online options

I've had my West Brom mortgage for more than 10 years now, and have always found it entirely unproblematic. They are helpful and friendly over the phone, and their paper correspondence is always clear and timely. In general, no problem at all. My only complaint is that they still have no facility to manage your mortgage and payments online - there is no online option at all, which seems very retro (putting it mildly) for 2017! I know other mortgage companies make it easy to make payments and keep an eye on the figures online, and it would be very helpful to be able to do that. So ... in general, an easy company to deal with, but very old-fashioned!

Reviewed on 15th August 2017
Jane Chamberlain's avatar
Jane Chamberlain

Savings

Friendly society

Have had an account since I was a child and have always found the staff helpful and friendly. At the moment the interest rates are poor but that is the same for all financial institutions at the moment.

Reviewed on 24th December 2015