Smile Bank Reviews

Smile Bank reviews can help you to become Smart Money People by finding out what other customers have to say. Since 1999, Smile Bank has provided online banking services including credit cards and current accounts to customers throughout the UK. Smart Money People is the place for Smile Bank reviews. Read and write Smile Bank reviews today to help increase trust and transparency in financial services.

Smile Bank Review Insight

Smile Bank Products 65

Current Account

Ethical and easy to use online account

The Smilemore account isn't free, but includes valuable travel and gadget insurance.

Reviewed on 16th April 2021
Glyn's avatar
Glyn

Well Run Professional Bank with a customer focus

I have been with Smile many years and have found them to be decent and professional. They are sometimes slow to adopt new technology, but I suppose better safe than sorry but overall a very good bank

Reviewed on 13th April 2021
John's avatar
John

Current Account

stay away...no customer service at all

Have been with Smile for about 20 years and used to really enjoy being a customer. Recently tried to open another current account and was denied (I am a home owner, mortgage free and £70,000 sitting in a current account with them). I emailed for an explanation and was told to contact the credit company. When I asked for further explanation I was given info about how to close my account. Absolutely disgusting customer service.

Then received a bill for £25 for having my account...which by the way earns 0% interest.

Smile have gone way downhill, they used to be ethical and friendly, nothing of that now. Disgusted by them.

Reviewed on 12th April 2021
Karen Inkster's avatar
Karen Inkster

Perfect service

Essential that we stick by a bank with a critical mass of customers committed to returning to cooperative ownership. Excellent service always, and ethics matter.

Reviewed on 14th February 2021
Ellen McVea's avatar
Ellen McVea

Failure to close account 3 years ago

I have concerns with all of my Cooperative bank accounts. Be very careful.... Read more

I have concerns with all of my Cooperative bank accounts. Be very careful.
Charges are excessive.
Their phone service offers different information to the phone representatives.
Twice today, phone representatives terminated the call before anything was resolved.
I closed my ISA and current account with them 3 years ago - today I was told I'm about to exceed my OD limit with them because of direct debits on the current account.
They refused to provide written confirmation that both accounts are now, in fact, closed.
AVOID THE COOPERATIVE BANKING GROUP, in my experience they are failing and not secure.

Reviewed on 22nd January 2021
Joe's avatar
Joe

Current Account

Their latest website needs improving

Been with them for many years and been very happy until their lates software... Read more

Been with them for many years and been very happy until their lates software upgrades.
I understand getting software that works well with every device and every version of operating system must be a nightmare but if you wish to be internet competitive this is where you need to invest.

Reviewed on 11th September 2020
Howard's avatar
Howard

Current Account

still good after many years

Still good. Not 100% - but better than the competition. Helpful staff, good products, I appreciate the ethics very much. Been with them since 1991 - longest I have been with any bank.

Reviewed on 5th July 2020
david's avatar
david

Current Account

simple to use - highly recommend

I have held a smile bank account for almost 20 years now and I highly recommend it. The App is easy to use, always up to date and you can access your savings account and credit card from the same log in. Hassle free way of using your money

Reviewed on 2nd July 2020
Tina J Grant's avatar
Tina J Grant

Great simple bank account

Everything runs so smoothly. Works well

Reviewed on 28th April 2020
Peter Saville's avatar
Peter Saville

Current Account

Brings out the, well, smiles...

I've been a customer of Smile for some time, and joined due to the ethical nature of the bank. Online banking has been essentially faultless, but when issues have arisen they have been sortedquickky.

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Andy Campbell's avatar
Andy Campbell

Current Account

Not great for international banking

It's very difficult to get in touch with customer service and get guidance on transferring money abroad to non-standard banks.

Reviewed on 8th February 2020
Megan's avatar
Megan

Good

The Cooperive Bank has always been a nice bank to deal with. The Smile Bank current account gives you a £500 overdraft, a Contactless Visa debit card and you can have a cheque book if you ask for one. The web site is very easy to get to grips with an dI love the card design.

Reviewed on 12th January 2020
Peter G's avatar
Peter G

Current Account

Good bank with one or two quirks

For my personal account, ethical was of the highest importance. The only real choice I had was to use Co-Operative. I chose the Smile deivision as it was the digital bank, which suits... Read more

For my personal account, ethical was of the highest importance. The only real choice I had was to use Co-Operative. I chose the Smile deivision as it was the digital bank, which suits me.

There are one or two quirks with the bank however. Transfers in do not appear instanty - they do with my other accounts - and can take the full 2 hours.

They are not well integrated with third party services either, and have yet to sign up to the Open Bank protocol - where pretty much every other major bank has done this.

Wihle I am happy with the service, I do feel they could be doing more to catch up with the other banks. Particulatly as they are supposed to be a digital / internet bank.

Reviewed on 3rd January 2020
Ian V's avatar
Ian V

Simple and honest

An ethical company with an account that is simple to use and easy to access

Reviewed on 8th December 2019
Sue Norminton's avatar
Sue Norminton

Honest and siomple

An easy account to manage. No frills just easy to use

Reviewed on 8th December 2019
Sue Norminton's avatar
Sue Norminton

Easy peas online squeezy

Smile has provided my banking facilities for almost two decades. I like what they do, I have no plans to change.

Reviewed on 20th November 2019
Sadie Godiva's avatar
Sadie Godiva

New app.

I live abroad now and had much difficulty with the card reader. We're excited to hear about the new app. But now it is not available in my country. What happened to international banking??

Reviewed on 10th June 2019
Elmien's avatar
Elmien

Current Account

Great banking but no local bank

Love using Smile and they’ve always been very helpful with any queries. They’re very flexible. But we have no branch in our town now which is not so good.

Reviewed on 31st May 2019
Vicki Joanne's avatar
Vicki Joanne

Left behind

I opened a smile account a long time ago when it was one of two internet only banks. Shane it didn't change for years and then when it did try to improve its app it made a mess of it. I looked around and found a new bank that made banking really easy so I closed my smile account.

Reviewed on 9th February 2019
Thomke's avatar
Thomke

Good banking experience

Always efficient service and good understanding of customer needs.

Reviewed on 19th January 2019