CIGNA Reviews

CIGNA are one of the leading providers of health insurance in the country. We collect your CIGNA reviews to help others, so if you're an existing CIGNA customer, please share your experiences and help our community!

Good

CIGNA Review Insight

Culture & Values

Top Age Profile: N/A

CIGNA Products 2

Health Insurance

I would rather deal with the cable company

In 30+ years of professional life, I have had health insurance through multiple carriers and Cigna is, bar none, no comparison, the absolute worst. I would rather deal with the cable company or the IRS than Cigna. With those two, at least I receive something in return for my money.

When our child required significant health care services - strongly recommended by multiple providers - Cigna's first reflex was, naturally, to deny coverage. Ditto the appeal (that we made to a Cigna-compensated vendor). We were forced to make do with the skimpy coverage they were willing to provide but, even then, they have actively sought ways to avoid paying anything. In two years we have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (i.e. savings and borrowing) for healthcare that our child absolutely required while Cigna has grudgingly paid about $14,000. In other words, we've received less than what Cigna received in premiums. Which, come to think of it, is an outstanding business model.

Claims sit for months; information that is either irrelevant or that has already been provided multiple times before is demanded; the rationale for delays and/or denials changes depending on whom we speak to; the website is either opaque or doesn't track with what "customer service" has to say. If it is not written in the "customer service" script, it is not uttered (which would explain why, after waiting months for one claim to be processed, we were told with confident assurance and lack of irony that all claims are processed within 7-10 business days). Perhaps because they were tired of talking to us, we were informed that our claims (past and present) were being "audited" and that would take another 60 days. Finally, yesterday, we received a letter saying that we'd been paid too much and to please send them a check for $300.

I really cannot find enough negative things to say about Cigna.

Reviewed on 6th September 2017
John Price's avatar
John Price

Health Insurance

Prompt, happy and helpful service

After our company informed that a movement of our health insurance was to switch to CIGNA I was hesitent having not heard of them before. However, since falling very unwell I have found their service to be far better than the company we were previously with (Bupa) due to local (Scotland) staff in the call centre who are always so cheerful and willing to go into detail to clarify certain catches unlike most companies. They also send helpful texts or emails/ with reminders, authorisation numbers, guidelines of the insurance which is an added bonus when you are on the go/stuck in a hospital with no pen and paper to hand!

Reviewed on 1st August 2016