Scottish Widows Reviews

Ratings based on 14 reviews       Last review 2 weeks ago

Scottish Widow was created as an icon that confronted all the negative values associated with the word 'widow' and presented the positive values on strength, reliability, integrity, innovation and heritage. Smart Money People is the place for Scottish Widows reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Scottish Widows Review Insight

Great Eco Product

I got pension 25 years ago and it slowly rose in value, with climate change it surged nearly 25% this year. Ethical investing pays.

Reviewed on 9th October 2021
Mark Robinson's avatar
Mark Robinson

Pension

Very poor in all aspects.

I have two pensions. One with Scottish Widows (Clerical Medical), the other with Aviva. In comparison, SW/CM were exceptionally poor on all fronts, when compared with the competition. Over 20 years their investment return was a fraction of others, their record keeping and sharing of investment data is secretive, and suspiciously absent, and now their customer service provides delays and lip service. Mark Radin.

Reviewed on 28th September 2020
Mark Radin's avatar
Mark Radin

ISA

Excellent customer service

The best rates and the best service

Reviewed on 15th July 2020
Gary Wright's avatar
Gary Wright

ISA

Always helpful

I feel that they are always just a phone call away for any help; they don't try to give you a sales pitch and are accommodating.

Reviewed on 12th July 2020
Joslyn's avatar
Joslyn

Mortgage

Likely

Had difficulty getting a mortgage due to zero contract hours, good money but not in a contract With 12 months payslips we negotiated a mortgage, very happy

Reviewed on 15th May 2020
Crowmo's avatar
Crowmo

Par Excellence

First class customer service, clear honest transactions, future advice and transparency. Options discussed, and a tailor made service to meet your needs.

Reviewed on 4th February 2019
JACQUELINE THOMAS's avatar
JACQUELINE THOMAS

Don't waste your money

Dug meat company don't waste your time or your money with a company which does not invest in its staff or technology. Lloyds banking group try to run this as a bank and do not invest any time or resources into this once successful firm

Reviewed on 17th July 2018
John McGinn 's avatar
John McGinn

Confusing

I've had reason to contact the company several times in the past three months. The customer service staff are always kind but never seem to know enough. I've been passed around from department to department in quest of answers to what are fairly simple questions. Their literature, too, seems intended to obfuscate matters rather than to assist customers. They're very clear about where impartial advice can be obtained which is excellent. Altogether a very frustrating, albeit friendly, experience.

Reviewed on 20th April 2018
Sue Peters's avatar
Sue Peters

Life Insurance

suits needs

been with SW for 3 years, fairly straightforward and easy going. no hassle insurance

Reviewed on 12th September 2017
SACHIN PARMESH's avatar
SACHIN PARMESH

Investment Bond

Decent Investment Service

I've been with Scottish Widows for about 10yrs. I have always found them helpful and regularly receive postal updates of my account. Never had any problems. I have a low risk stocks investment and have made a decent return given what I originally... Read more

I've been with Scottish Widows for about 10yrs. I have always found them helpful and regularly receive postal updates of my account. Never had any problems. I have a low risk stocks investment and have made a decent return given what I originally invested.

Reviewed on 27th July 2017
Victoria Lodge's avatar
Victoria Lodge

Investment Bond

Good customer service

Phoned them up about a problem with my online pension account, problem sorted out quickly and efffeciently

Reviewed on 4th July 2017

Mortgage

Good mortgage lender

It offers very good mortgage deals. I am very happy with their services.

Reviewed on 14th October 2016
Alina Tierney's avatar
Alina Tierney

Straight forward

Nice clear website and communications from this company

Reviewed on 5th September 2016
Ruth Padbury's avatar
Ruth Padbury

Distressing

I was persuaded by an advisor at Lloyds TSB to start a pension with Scottish Widows. At the time I could barely afford it but it seemed sensible to start saving for my... Read more

I was persuaded by an advisor at Lloyds TSB to start a pension with Scottish Widows. At the time I could barely afford it but it seemed sensible to start saving for my pension.

A couple of years later I was horrified to discover that there was now half the money that I had saved in the account. I was upset that money I had struggled to save had been halved.
I stopped payments and rang Scottish Widows who told me that there was nothing that I could do about it as it was a risk I took when I took the policy out.

In the great scheme of things it was a relatively small amount of money, but money that I could ill afford to lose.

Reviewed on 29th August 2015