Skipton Building Society Reviews

Ratings based on 34 reviews       Last review 1 day ago

The Skipton Building Society was established in 1853 in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Smart Money People is the place for Skipton Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Skipton Building Society Review Insight

Savings

as good as any other but more personable

great customer service in all branches i have been to. know their products well too.

Reviewed on 24th September 2021
Elizabeth's avatar
Elizabeth

Savings

Excellent Building Society

Skipton have just launched a regular saver account for existing customers, paying 3.50% interest. This is an excellent rate. I have always found the staff at Skipton to be friendly and helpful. The app and service from staff are really excellent - it is easy to send a direct mail via the app, and I can see all of my former accounts and the interest rates. Everything is simple to use and well thought through.

Reviewed on 29th August 2021
George's avatar
George

Conspiracers

Dont trust lots of fatal errors will let you down never admit no matter how vital they dont care will let you down reiterate lies to all including F O S avoid .

Reviewed on 26th April 2021
Donna Discriminated's avatar
Donna Discriminated

Lifetime ISA

Invaluable when not much choice out there

When searching for a way to save for a house 3 years ago, Skipton were one of the few offering lifetime ISAs. They have allowed me to save consistently and securely.

Reviewed on 24th March 2021
Medi's avatar
Medi

Fixed Rate Mortgage

Flexible and Sensible approach to lending

Our situation was unusual in that my wife worked for the family business and took a wage cut during Covid. Skipton looked at matters for us from a personal viewpoint - we felt like they considered us a people, not just number crunching. Overall an amazing experience with friendly people who care.

Reviewed on 25th February 2021
Ali Carter's avatar
Ali Carter

The Lifetime ISA is the Gift that Keeps on Giving

I have been a Skipton Building Society customer for over 3 years now, and it is without a doubt one of the best decisions I have made in my adult life. The first product I used was the Lifetime ISA. Without this account I would not be the position I am in right now where I can put in offers on properties to buy. The 25% interest applied to any savings is frankly incredible! The fact that savings in a Lifetime ISA can only be withdrawn (without penalty) for a first-time buyer mortgage or retirement has been fantastic as it has allowed me to commitment to saving for my future. Admittedly, without the penalty I may very well have wasted a significant proportion of my savings instead of securing it for my future. I will be forever grateful for this product from Skipton Building Society and I know that it has given me the 'leg up' that I needed towards being able to buy my first home!

Reviewed on 9th July 2020
Josh's avatar
Josh

Lifetime ISA

Interest rates dropped through the floor

After being with Skipton for 3 years and the BoE rate drop the rates applied to the isa have dropped steeply.

Reviewed on 27th April 2020

Fixed Rate Mortgage

Total failure to do their jobs constant cut and paste mentality zero adjustments for disabled customers

Terrible just terrible toward diverse... Read more

Terrible just terrible toward diverse customers...

Where to start! Firstly they don't understand anything relating to disabled customers. Managers don't even deal with complaints always front line customer service advisor teams instead. Front line staff in the contact centre clearly have no disability awareness training and the same for departments behind the scenes as constant failures to even look at disability needs throughout all dealings.

Clear a customer financially ok but then faff about no end to avoid having to lend. Weeks and months of endless LIVING HELL stress with constantly being passed about and cut and paste generic responses no regard for disabled customers accessibility needs or circumstances at all. Clearly don't understand the Equality Act at all. Even told me to go elsewhere! What a disgrace.

For a company that advertises when your money is in a good place so are you... Clearly not living up to your values! Treating customers as individuals would be a good start. Quite happy to give lots of money to Mental Health UK as their charity partner but have zero regards for the distress of their failure to make disability accommodations has on their own members and customers.

Don't even include full information in the complaints when submitted and issue final responses before they even compile the full information. "This is our final response" only to then read down the page where it says if we have missed any information please let us know... How can you issue a final reply without even referencing the content of the complaint??? Or even having used the full information you were supplied with...???!!!!

Shambles doesn't even sum this up. HR seriously need to start educating about disability and train their staff on what the Equality Act means. So sad as you would think that with a presence and perception to the public of local service they would do well.

Reviewed on 18th April 2020
Witheld 's avatar
Witheld

Cash ISA

Lifetime isa

An excellent product which sees the government reward you for saving by adding to your savings in line with the amount that you save up to a maximum of £4,000.00 per year for a set period of time within prescribed timescale. All money paid out when you reach age 60 years, ideal savings plan to benefit you at retirement.

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Fiona sutherland's avatar
Fiona sutherland

Quit renting

Great way to focus on getting money into an account and it costs more to withdraw, provides a focus if saving for something like a first home

Reviewed on 24th January 2020
Stocky14's avatar
Stocky14

Lisa

A really great experience with Skipton. Fantastic from start to finish and helped me on the journey to owning my own house

Reviewed on 22nd November 2019
Beth hoyle's avatar
Beth hoyle

Local

A few local branches, however interest rates have been decreasing

Reviewed on 22nd November 2019
Mike's avatar
Mike

Lifetime ISA

One of the few products on the market

Competitive rate with the other 2 products on the market for Cash LISAS

Reviewed on 15th April 2019

Home Insurance

Cash back scam

I purchased home insurance via Quidco in June 2018 because there was an offer of cash back. Have chased this several times via Quidco who informed me it just takes time. 9 months later got email from Quidco telling me skipton had refused to pay something to do with the terms and conditions. If I had been told 9 months ago that they weren’t going to pay I would have cancelled my insurance and looked elsewhere. I get 14 days to cancel but they get 9 months to refuse cash back. What a scam. Don’t use Quidco or Skipton if you want a fair deal.

Reviewed on 12th March 2019
Catherine's avatar
Catherine

Lifetime Isa for first home

One of the few banks to offer a lifetime isa and make it easy to understand through their website. The ISA can be managed online and email notifications let you know when the bonus is being applied. Very good and informative bank making it easy for young professionals to hop onto the property ladder.

Reviewed on 12th January 2019
Joe's avatar
Joe

Great product

Great service, easy to use and have recommended to various friends

Reviewed on 9th January 2019
Joe's avatar
Joe

Excellent !

Great service and advice. Couldnt have done more to support me at a very difficult time.

Reviewed on 7th January 2019
Gogsb's avatar
Gogsb

They're one of the few that offer a Cash LISA

It's been a smooth process and due to the method of transferring the HTB to LISA i got 25% for the entire HTB balanced (which ended on the last tax year). Couldn't be happier.

Reviewed on 9th November 2018

Simple and Efficient

Skilton Life ISA was simple to set up, easy to deposit money each month and the HMRC bonus is instant for helloing first time buyers. The house value is limited to £250k for the U.K. on a help to buy but the Life ISA is £450k

Reviewed on 8th November 2018
Sophie's avatar
Sophie

Cash ISA

One of the best interest rates out there

Very friendly , convenient branch banking

Reviewed on 6th November 2018