British Gas Reviews

Ratings based on 40 reviews       Last review 1 week ago

Want to read what our community is saying about British Gas? We collect British Gas reviews from customers like you. If you're already a customer, leave your own review and help our community find the best products.

Good

British Gas Products 40

Inefficient and Appalling Customer Services

Incompetence and inefficiency at it's most profound. Found out after several months we were on estimated bills. Requested technician, several weeks later and having to wait in all day and turf out everything in order for the meter/comms hub to be seen for Read more

Incompetence and inefficiency at it's most profound. Found out after several months we were on estimated bills. Requested technician, several weeks later and having to wait in all day and turf out everything in order for the meter/comms hub to be seen for him to look at a light and say he can't do anything. Its a known fault, why didn't someone say on the phone to check; it would have taken 2 seconds, rather than waste my time, the technicians etc. To exercurbate it further, to try and complain is painful in the extreme. The complaints email and even the CEO's are apparently full and returned, unread! I finally get a reply and it was totally unacceptable. This is a disgrace, totally incompetent, inefficient and this needs to be addressed. I'll now have to wait another several weeks to get this resolved - totally unacceptable!!! Charlie W

Reviewed on 29th July 2022
Charlie's avatar
Charlie

Boiler Repairs

Terrible customer service and bookings with so many missed appointments

A terribly organised company. The booking team books appointments and then can't find them. Not one person you speak to on the phone has any idea where or what the engineers are doing. 2 appointments booked for a smart meter and one appointment left witho Read more

A terribly organised company. The booking team books appointments and then can't find them. Not one person you speak to on the phone has any idea where or what the engineers are doing. 2 appointments booked for a smart meter and one appointment left without hot water over the weekend after being 'assured' someone will be out to sort it out. Not ONE engineer turned up. You take days off work, lose days' wages and they offer you £30 for the missed appointment. They also book appointments telling you it's between certain times, without ever actually booking it, they message several third party engineers who IF they can do the job, will book you in. The people on the phones do not tell you this, you think you have an appointment. Worst company and service I have ever had the misfortune to do business with. Avoid like the plague.

Reviewed on 25th April 2022
Richard Hewett's avatar
Richard Hewett

Boiler Repairs

Cancellation of the homeserve contact

Started by taking home serve boiler cover any paid for the service booked a priority appointment with British gas asked politely for the Fitter to wear PPE because my wife has ms and chronic myeloid leukemia and is extremely vunerable waited all-day for t Read more

Started by taking home serve boiler cover any paid for the service booked a priority appointment with British gas asked politely for the Fitter to wear PPE because my wife has ms and chronic myeloid leukemia and is extremely vunerable waited all-day for the fitter some one needs to explain what PPE is because he was not wearing any takes one look at the boiler and announced sorry but we don't deal with these boilers I'll cancel your contract and contact British gas to get back the money.left leaving a disabled woman sitting in a mobile home with no hot water or heating amazing beyond belief.British gas was told that the boiler is a morco boiler made by Ideal boilers supplied by morco in hull where most of the park homes are built British gas want to business of repairing LPG boilers "bottled gas" mainly used by park homes but they don't deal with these boilers well good luck with that one common sense please by the way I spoke with morco they are more than happy to supply parts to British gas and I missing something here.

Reviewed on 29th March 2022
George Miller's avatar
George Miller

Rubish

They won’t call you back they won’t speak to you the engineers missed an appointment and never rang me and caused 2 week delay

Reviewed on 28th January 2022
Ross pickering's avatar
Ross pickering

Prompt Service

I have called a couple of times for service in last few months and each time the repairs have been carried out quickly and efficiently with friendly staff.

Reviewed on 12th January 2022
ashde's avatar
ashde

Boiler Repairs

4 time i have rang them they say they will ring me back in the next 14 days but never do I still need to ring back every 2 weeks

Don't sort anything out just tell you they will ring you back but never do

Reviewed on 15th September 2021
Gareth Emmerson's avatar
Gareth Emmerson

Straightforward to claim

I had to make a claim due to a burst water pipe. British Gas were straightforward, uncomplicated and dealt with the claim in a timely manner. Overall I was pleased with their insurance services.

Reviewed on 3rd September 2021
Ashley Halton's avatar
Ashley Halton

Good guys

Customer service is brilliant very friendly people

Reviewed on 14th June 2021
Dan Mc's avatar
Dan Mc

Home insurance

Stay away from British Gas home insurance, they sell it through Covea insurance claim for burnt carpet, quotes for £1300 to replace offered £285 after £350 excess. Policy was new for old. Disgraceful!

Reviewed on 23rd April 2021
briansimpson25@icloud.com's avatar
briansimpson25@icloud.com

Uncontactable!

I wanted to renew my home insurance but could not access my account as I needed my policy number to access my account, which contained my policy number to access my account........ etc. ! There is absolutely no way to contact them, I've trawled every pos Read more

I wanted to renew my home insurance but could not access my account as I needed my policy number to access my account, which contained my policy number to access my account........ etc. ! There is absolutely no way to contact them, I've trawled every possibility, no email address, no phone number, no quick and easy way. Result, their loss and another companies gain. Bye BG!

Reviewed on 27th March 2021
A Lewis's avatar
A Lewis

Poor and incompetent

The carbon monixide alarm went off on a Wednesday , the initial fas board person has to come and shut the gas. British Gas had to be called about 10 times to follow up for the actual repairs . Now thet say the earliest they can do is Monday! And this is s Read more

The carbon monixide alarm went off on a Wednesday , the initial fas board person has to come and shut the gas. British Gas had to be called about 10 times to follow up for the actual repairs . Now thet say the earliest they can do is Monday! And this is supposed to be "Emergency Service'. Be withooit heating for 6 days in freezing December! Never again with British Gas.

Reviewed on 4th December 2020
PM's avatar
PM

Home Insurance

Retrospective tariff increase after leaving and ruined mortgage applications

We joined BG in May ‘19 and the first seven months seemed fine. Around Xmas they began doubling the monthly DD without writing, or writing and confirming a lower amount. I reclaimed and paid manually to protect my mortgage payments. Battled on to correct Read more

We joined BG in May ‘19 and the first seven months seemed fine. Around Xmas they began doubling the monthly DD without writing, or writing and confirming a lower amount. I reclaimed and paid manually to protect my mortgage payments. Battled on to correct estimated start readings. Maintained original payment schedule and initiated leaving early June with a modest credit on the accounts.

Received three bills in mid July (after account closure) claiming I owed £154, then £194, then £249. On receipt of first bill, asked BG to prove the debt. Despite regular contact and repeated requests, it failed to do so. In Sept, BG placed 3 late markers on my credit file for the disputed debts (2 gas and 1 electricity), which has derailed an ongoing mortgage application.

Raised a claim with ombudsman and discovered that BG had placed us on the standard (most expensive) tariff and backdated this to January, that BG had also increased the debt to £336 added an additional £28 ‘debt recovery fee’ and forwarded to a debt collection agency during investigation by the ombudsman. This is contrary to FCA sourcebook guidance. I have received no justification for the increases after account closure.

The markers have reduced my mortgage offer by £80k-£100k and forced us to radically downscale our aspirations. Instead of looking forward to buying our dream home with our two small children we’re are struggling to raise enough to even remortgage our current home!

Even after being forced to pay hundreds of pounds in disputed debt in full (on a without-prejudice basis) to its debt collection agency, British Gas refuses to remove the late markers. After following BGs advice to escalate to the ombudsman, BG refuses to speak to/correspond with me on the matter. I am left hundreds of pound out of pocket and essentially unmortgagable!

Taking out a British Gas contract ranks amongst the worst decisions I’ve ever made. It’s no exaggeration to state that British Gas have ruined my family's dreams!

COME ON, British Gas, do the right thing and remove the late markers. Don't punish my children for the dispute you have with me!

Reviewed on 15th November 2020
Chris's avatar
Chris

British Gas Home Insurance

BIG CON - Don't insure your kitchen appliances with this BRITISHGAS. Did you know that once your appliance is over 4years, you may get next to nothing? They say 30% of the cheapest 'like-for-like' of your old appliance that you get. So I had Zanussi int Read more

BIG CON - Don't insure your kitchen appliances with this BRITISHGAS. Did you know that once your appliance is over 4years, you may get next to nothing? They say 30% of the cheapest 'like-for-like' of your old appliance that you get. So I had Zanussi integrated dishwasher (mid-range) level. It was bought for £449 at the time. All my kitchen appliances were Bosch or Zanussi (Mid-range).I took out a BGAS H/care. It started giving trouble after its 6th yr and BG took their time to repair. I reported in February 2020, the technician sent couldn't understand its fault until I suggested looking at its plug fuse, he did but, after one wash it packed up again. I called the next day, he said he would have to get all the parts in as the diagnostics were difficult to determine. COVID19 arrived and we couldn't use our D/washer all through until I called in June '20. The sent someone to fit all new parts but, the plates weren't drying up. Another technician sent came and said he couldn't pull it out and not allowed. I got someone to unscrew and pull it out for a charge. Technician came again and said it's unrepairable and that the heating component in the washer was gone. So I were referred to the replacement team. I had to chase them up for that...Again! I kept getting the 'COVID 19' blame for bad service. It was stressful calling them. I got a quote for a new equipment but was told that since my machine model has depreciated in value and no longer exists, I'd get 30% of the lowest value in the same comparison of size. So as my exact model was no longer available, they would search for a brand likeness that was either available from John Lewis or AO.com. He found a Bosch which was £379 which means their contribution would be £113.70 and as it's integrated, Id need to pay the difference plus, the installation and removal of existing which amounts to £110.00. In short, why did I insure this damn equipment? Now, I called the next week to go ahead with this bad deal. The operator in the 'Item replacement team' who claims to be sub-contractors of BGAS now said she has to look it up again. She saw various and a 'Hotpoint' which she claims was a like-for-like that cost £279. I thought it was cheap and does not look like a likeness of our old one. She said when she compared it, it came up as a likeness hence, they are only going to pay £70 toward any D/washers we choose since they take the 30% at the cheapest available. I agreed but, asked what if it doesn't fulfil my purpose. She said once it arrives and installed and are not satisfied, we can call them and it would be removed and taken back for another. They came from AO without any notice and took away my old one, installed this wrapped equipment. As I opened it, I just saw that it was not a likeness in comparison. It was dead cheap in quality and not the same depth as my old Zanussi. I called the replacement team and was told it's too late 'its been installed'. They said that I should have told them immediately that dimension of the same was a priority. But, when you ask for a 'like for like', does that not mean the whole item should have the qualities and brand comparison as the last equipment? I was told that it was my responsibility to ensure that it was the exact same when the delivery men turned up with the wrapped package. So, I should have stood right there with the men with a tape measure. Compared the old equipment and measured the depth with all the dimensions myself. He said, I didn't tell them that the depth was a priority....If I did, they would have ensured I got one with the depth stipulated. I was told that they have no idea of the dimension of my old dishwasher so its my responsibility to make them aware. I was so upset because I am stuck with a cheap-ass Hotpoint dishwater that I feel like smashing into pieces because it's like a 'plastic toy'. My old Zanussi model was not an Entry level' model but a mid-range. This Hotpoint model is an entry level and it serves no real purpose for my household. Insurance of kitchen eqiup. is a CON.

Reviewed on 3rd November 2020
BIssy's avatar
BIssy

Home Insurance

Completely useless - withdrawing money without permission

Completely useless and not to mention that they automatically renew everything without permission. They just take the money from your account . They are twice more expensive than other companies and they offer you nothing.

Reviewed on 23rd October 2020
Alex Razvan Simionescu's avatar
Alex Razvan Simionescu

Horrendous

Bought BG insurance through compare the market, 9 years claim free. Insured a watch separately which I lost, informed police provided photos and receipt to claims at BRitish Gas, interviewed like I was a criminal, then told because I had CCJ 5 years old Read more

Bought BG insurance through compare the market, 9 years claim free.
Insured a watch separately which I lost, informed police provided photos and receipt to claims at BRitish Gas, interviewed like I was a criminal, then told because I had CCJ 5 years old my insurance was null and void, I should of declared CCJ mmmm at no point through compare the market are you asked this question and how the hell a CCJ from 5 years ago can affect a watch claim on home insurance for a house you have a mortgage on is beyond belief.
Buyer beware I do not normally write reviews but this has left me feeling very sour.
Do not use British Gas Insurance and once my energy fixed term ends I will not be using them for anything and their attitude is absolutely disgusting

Reviewed on 20th September 2020
Private 's avatar
Private

Home Insurance

Appalling service at a premium price

We pay over £700 for this disgusting service. Our dishwasher died and today we took delivery of a new one. The person installing it said, 'You've got a slow leak, here - get a plumber asap. I'll put some temporary fitting around it.' Spent HOURS trying to Read more

We pay over £700 for this disgusting service. Our dishwasher died and today we took delivery of a new one. The person installing it said, 'You've got a slow leak, here - get a plumber asap. I'll put some temporary fitting around it.' Spent HOURS trying to get through on British Gas and the only time I succeeded some woman answered with 'Yeah?' I said, 'Is this British Gas?' and she admitted it might be and hung up on me. Tried to complain and - no surprise there - their complaint phone line ENTIRELY FULL UP (also for hours) and NO EMAIL for complaints - I'd have to write by snailmail. Is this the most appalling service EVER? - Yes, it is.

Reviewed on 11th September 2020
Alice McVeigh's avatar
Alice McVeigh

Always choose British Gas

British Gas is the best! Fantastic for all your boiler repairs

Reviewed on 2nd August 2020
Diann Allenby's avatar
Diann Allenby

Boiler Repairs

Friendly staff who arrived on time to help me with my boiler and heating

Reviewed on 14th May 2020
shannonw1992's avatar
shannonw1992

50% Premium Increase in 2 Years

My premiums went up by an astonishing £100 in a 12 month period despite no claims, incidents or even inquiries (as I now know just asking your insurer a question can affect your premiums). They went up £50 at the first renewal, again without any need to c Read more

My premiums went up by an astonishing £100 in a 12 month period despite no claims, incidents or even inquiries (as I now know just asking your insurer a question can affect your premiums). They went up £50 at the first renewal, again without any need to contact them. So 2 year's additional no claims on buildings and contents means £150 extra on my premium. I've told them to get lost and gone to one of their competitors.

Reviewed on 13th May 2020
Ric's avatar
Ric

Boiler Repairs

Bought a boiler from them last year,very good service.

Very good after care. My heating was instant and I am glad to recommend them to anybody that is thinking of changing their boiler.

Reviewed on 24th January 2020