Hanley Economic Building Society Reviews

Ratings based on 221 reviews       Last review 14 hours ago
  Visit Hanley Economic Building Society

Hanley Economic Building Society's aim is to combine the traditions and roots of a mature organisation with the verve and efficiency of a modern business, by operating as a successful mutual organisation with high quality customer service at its core. Smart Money People is the place for Hanley Economic Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Hanley Economic Building Society Review Insight

Hanley Economic Building Society Products 221

Lana Beech, amazing customer service

I recently completed a self build mortgage with The Hanley Economic. I can honestly say this was the easiest mortgage I have ever obtained. Outstanding customer service from Lana, absolute credit to the company. Always made time to explain and go the extra mile. Shows a genuine interest in your project and is always there every step of the way offering help and support. Lana is outstanding in her role and prompt in returning calls and emails. I would highly recommend The Hanley Economic to anyone who is considering a mortgage.

Reviewed on 8th April 2021
Nigel Gallagher's avatar
Nigel Gallagher

Mortgages

Lana Beech is my saviour!

I initially had a new build mortgage with the Hanley after every other source of funding refused to finance my project. Lana was so professional from the start but she also explained all of the process to me from the beginning to the end. Without the Hanley Economic Building Society I would never have finished my project which is now the best looking house in our street and something that I am very proud of achieving. After my project was finished, the pandemic started and I was concerned that I may lose my project build and also my first property. In stepped the Hanley again and allowed me to refinance to an interest only mortgage which took away all of the worries that I had. All of the staff that I dealt with there were absolutely brilliant and so helpful. I can definitely say that they all went above & beyond their remit to help me. I still occasionally chat to Lana now just to let her know about life in general and she is always a pleasure to speak to. If any of the other building societies or banks happen to read this review, then please take a leaf out of the Hanley Economic Building Society's book and get your staff to behave like theirs! They are all a credit to their employer.

Reviewed on 6th April 2021
Michael O'Mahoney's avatar
Michael O'Mahoney

Great Service

Anna and the team at the Hanley have been so helpful, friendly, and accommodating throughout the sometimes stressful process of buying a house. Thanks

Reviewed on 30th March 2021
RFUK's avatar
RFUK

Retirement Interest Only Mortgage

I contacted the Hanley after finding them via a Google search for the type of mortgage I was looking for, and the whole process was plain sailing from start to finish. Jane Longmore was my contact throughout and kept me fully up to date with progress. She even sent me a 'New Home' card, which was a lovely touch, and followed up with a phone call a couple of days after my purchase completed. I would recommend the Hanley to anyone looking for a smooth and trouble free transaction.

Reviewed on 24th March 2021
Lesley Hanson's avatar
Lesley Hanson

New build mortgage

We chose this bank due to struggling to find low deposit mortgages for new builds. Lana beech the mortgage advisor there has been absolutely brilliant From start to finish! She always went the extra mile to help us. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed on 23rd March 2021
Aden 's avatar
Aden

Excellent Customer Service

We chose Hanley after speaking to numerous Self Build mortgage providers and brokers. All... Read more

had lengthy application waiting times because
of Christmas/New Year holidays and pandemic. However, the Hanley Mortgage Advisor, Lana Beech listened to why our case was urgent and despite her busy schedule, fitted us in at short notice and went the extra mile to process our application before the holiday period.

She was friendly and professional, always replied promptly to any questions and/or concerns. Waiting for the underwriters to approve was very stressful, but she made the
process so much easier.

We would highly recommend The Hanley.

Mr and Mrs Webb

Reviewed on 23rd March 2021
Mrs Webb's avatar
Mrs Webb

Effective & Efficient Service

Experience with Hanley Economic, specifically with their adviser Lana, was excellent. Always clear and concise advice and help with the transaction. Many thanks. AL

Reviewed on 22nd March 2021
Alan Lomax's avatar
Alan Lomax

Savings

Very friendly

Very friendly and helpful staff in branch, decent range of products. Always good to go local!

Reviewed on 10th March 2021
David Nicoll's avatar
David Nicoll

Self Build Mortgage

First of all a great product that suited my needs perfectly. The application process was quite lengthy (they all are!) but I was led through it by my point of contact - Jane Longmoor. She was friendly, helpful, professional and always called exactly when she said she would. Overall - very happy.

Reviewed on 3rd March 2021
Julian Parry's avatar
Julian Parry

Self-build, AVOID!

The Hanley said they would remove my ex-partner from our mortgage if I met their affordability criteria. I met their criteria and then they moved their self-defined goalposts as it, 'reduced their risk'. As a consequence neither of us could move on with our lives.

They then refused release of final stage payment unless I paid another exorbitant fee.

The Hanley severely damaged my health and delayed the project significantly all while I was paying them ~6% interest.

They had the following statement on their website, “Ensuring the customer is at the heart of everything we do”. It couldn't be further from the truth.

They knew the potential consequences of their actions, they didn't care. Avoid.

Reviewed on 9th February 2021
James H's avatar
James H

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Hi James, we are so sorry to hear about your negative experience during your mortgage application. We wish we could have helped you and turned this into a better, more positive experience. If you would like to discuss your application further please contact us at customerservices@thehanley.co.uk or call us on 01782 255000.

Retirement Interest Only Mortgage

Thanks to Mortgage Advisor Lana Beech, my Retirement Mortgage application progressed well despite the corona virus pandemic. Lana was always a delight to liaise with, helping me to negotiate the process with skill and good... Read more

Thanks to Mortgage Advisor Lana Beech, my Retirement Mortgage application progressed well despite the corona virus pandemic. Lana was always a delight to liaise with, helping me to negotiate the process with skill and good humour.
For those in retirement wishing to raise money against their property without the commitment to repay the capital until death or sale, the Hanley Retirement Mortgage is thoroughly recommended. The Hanley Retirement Mortgage also offers extremely competitive interest rates.

Reviewed on 2nd February 2021
JSS's avatar
JSS

Professional Friendly Efficient

Branch staff very helpful. The process was easy to understand. Lana Beech our Mortgage Advisor was Professional Friendly and always there to speak to Excellent Service.

Reviewed on 29th January 2021
Anne Wainwright's avatar
Anne Wainwright

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for your wonderful review!

Mortgages

Fantastic service on a self-build mortgage!

Our mortgage advisor, Jane Longmore, provided fantastic service throughout our application for a self-build mortgage. Right from the start Jane offered us support, information and time, and we never felt pressured or stressed when considering the different mortgage offers. Throughout our self-build process so far, Jane has been the most friendly and supportive external party we have worked with - she was always contactable even if we called her several times a week! Jane’s fantastic service led us to choose The Hanley Economic and we would thoroughly recommend to others based on this! The underwriting team were also easy to contact throughout and supportive.

Reviewed on 29th January 2021
Matthew Forrester's avatar
Matthew Forrester

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback, we are so pleased that you had a great experience and would recommend us to others :)

Self-Build mortgage

Completed a self-build mortgage with the Hanley Economic and our advisor, Jane Longmore. Even in these difficult circumstances, we always felt that Jane was incredibly accessible and she definitely went out of her way to provide us with comprehensive information regarding the mortgage. Each step was explained clearly and made the process very manageable. Towards the completion date, there was some confusion between what we understood from Jane and what the Underwriting Team were then telling us, but this problem was quickly resolved to complete what has otherwise been a very smooth process. Thank you to the Hanley and to Jane for all of your support.

Reviewed on 25th January 2021
Dan Jones's avatar
Dan Jones

Mortgages

The best mortgage advisor!!!

We are first time buyers and decided to go with The Hanley for our purchase. Our mortgage advisor was Lana Beech and she made the process effortless from our side, she helped to handle everything from start to finish.... Read more

As we are first time buyers we were completely out of our depth on where to start but Lana helped us through the whole process and made it really easy - she was very responsive and always got back to us on the same day. The service was amazing and really took a lot of stress out of the journey for us.

Tomorrow we get the keys for our first home and we are so excited!! Thank you Lana :)

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
Chelsea Haddon's avatar
Chelsea Haddon

helpful friendly efficient

I was dealt with by Jane Longmore who was available pleasant helpful and efficient

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
Janet Keenan's avatar
Janet Keenan

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for your feedback Janet!

Mortgages

Poor systems and incompetent underwriters

Very poor experience. Our mortgage broker applied for a mortgage, a decision in principal was given as it passed credit checks and affordability. Happily took £300 then they came back and said I didn't pass affordability (despite no changes). Provided evidence of pay rise (that hadn't been declared as it was yet to come into effect) AND offered to pay off a small loan which would have more than met the requirement (still using savings) but wouldn't accept. No explanation for the logic behind the decision (since everything else was fine with the application), no refund provided for their system allowing application to go ahead anyway. This happened literally days before they pretty much stopped lending above 60% LTV, coincidentally. No onwership of the issue and money taken. Oh and took a month and a half of going backwards and forwards to achieve nothing. Went to Leeds Building Society, happy to accept pay rise, house is now nearly complete just three weeks later. I recommend trying Leeds first, no application fee, they have competent staff with common sense and their affordability checking system works!

Reviewed on 16th January 2021
Daniel's avatar
Daniel

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Hi Daniel, we are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience and that we could not help you on this occasion. If you would like to discuss your application further please contact us at customerservices@thehanley.co.uk or call us on 01782 255000.

Friendly, professional service.

If you are after anyone to treat you like a friend throughout the whole process then I can’t recommend Lana highly enough. Her friendly but professional advice was outstanding. Lana Beech + Jill Condliffe I can’t Thank-you enough for all the hard work you guys put in to get me where I am.

A More than satisfied customer.

Reviewed on 15th January 2021
Jack Casewell's avatar
Jack Casewell

Fantastic Service

I would highly recommend The Hanley as a mortgage provider. Lana our mortgage advisor was 10/10! She made the whole process so straight forward and as stress free as possible - thank you!

Reviewed on 5th January 2021
Kieran's avatar
Kieran

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for your glowing review! :)

Mortgage offer

Thank you! Brilliant work and quick responses!

Reviewed on 17th December 2020