Hanley Economic Building Society Reviews

Ratings based on 205 reviews       Last review 2 days ago
  Visit Hanley Economic Building Society

Hanley Economic Building Society's aim is to combine the traditions and roots of a mature organisation with the verve and efficiency of a modern business, by operating as a successful mutual organisation with high quality customer service at its core. Smart Money People is the place for Hanley Economic Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Hanley Economic Building Society Review Insight

Hanley Economic Building Society Products 205

Mortgages

Poor systems and incompetent underwriters

Very poor experience. Our mortgage broker applied for a mortgage, a decision in principal was given as it passed credit checks and affordability. Happily took £300 then they came back and said I didn't pass affordability (despite no changes). Provided evidence of pay rise (that hadn't been declared as it was yet to come into effect) AND offered to pay off a small loan which would have more than met the requirement (still using savings) but wouldn't accept. No explanation for the logic behind the decision (since everything else was fine with the application), no refund provided for their system allowing application to go ahead anyway. This happened literally days before they pretty much stopped lending above 60% LTV, coincidentally. No onwership of the issue and money taken. Oh and took a month and a half of going backwards and forwards to achieve nothing. Went to Leeds Building Society, happy to accept pay rise, house is now nearly complete just three weeks later. I recommend trying Leeds first, no application fee, they have competent staff with common sense and their affordability checking system works!

Reviewed on 16th January 2021
Daniel's avatar
Daniel

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Hi Daniel, we are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience and that we could not help you on this occasion. If you would like to discuss your application further please contact us at customerservices@thehanley.co.uk or call us on 01782 255000.

Friendly, professional service.

If you are after anyone to treat you like a friend throughout the whole process then I can’t recommend Lana highly enough. Her friendly but professional advice was outstanding. Lana Beech + Jill Condliffe I can’t Thank-you enough for all the hard work you guys put in to get me where I am.

A More than satisfied customer.

Reviewed on 15th January 2021
Jack Casewell's avatar
Jack Casewell

Fantastic Service

I would highly recommend The Hanley as a mortgage provider. Lana our mortgage advisor was 10/10! She made the whole process so straight forward and as stress free as possible - thank you!

Reviewed on 5th January 2021
Kieran's avatar
Kieran

Mortgage offer

Thank you! Brilliant work and quick responses!

Reviewed on 17th December 2020
Verified Member's avatar
Verified Member

Further advance

We have just taken out a further advance on our mortgage, from our initial enquiry the Hanley have been... Read more

We have just taken out a further advance on our mortgage, from our initial enquiry the Hanley have been brilliant.
They got back to us shortly after to get the process started, Anna who handled our case was very helpful and friendly and dealt with us mainly over the phone apart from nipping into branch to take in signed forms.
We have been with the Hanley for a good number of years now with our sons child trust fund and mortgage and have always found Their products very competitive and they have always been easy to do deal with even now during this covid crisis .
I would have no hesitation in recommending the Hanley to friends and family.

Reviewed on 3rd December 2020
John Forrester's avatar
John Forrester

Above and Beyond

We completed our house purchase two weeks ago, and we quite simply would not have been able to buy this house were it not for the tireless efforts of Lana Beech, our mortgage advisor at the Hanley. Our situation was particularly complicated, and we faced several set-backs along the way. Lana navigated every obstacle with professionalism, enthusiasm, and a level of dedication I've never experienced from any other financial services provider. We really appreciated the individual approach, and the fact that we were treated as humans, not just customers. Above and beyond doesn't even begin to describe it.

Reviewed on 30th November 2020
Matthew Young's avatar
Matthew Young

Safe

Nothing. Been with you 45 years.

Reviewed on 27th November 2020
John's avatar
John

Excellent *****

In a very difficult period of my life, during the COVID-19 pandemic, and when all other providers were declining a mortgage, Hanley gave me advice and helped me to get a mortgage. I am very happy that these people came to my way and helped me to make my dream come true.

Personally, a huge thank you to Lana Beech. Her friendly behaviour and her professionalism helped the process and made this journey end happily. I will never forget what she did for us. X

Reviewed on 24th November 2020
Paschalis Vlachos's avatar
Paschalis Vlachos

Mortgages

Excellent service and support throughout the whole mortgage process

The whole experience of completing my mortgage application with the Hanley Economic has been excellent. Mortgage advisor Jane Longmore handled the whole process with me with complete professionalism throughout, by taking time to listen and understand what I was looking to achieve with my mortgage, and provided clear advice that I could understand and answered every question without problem. Communication from Jane and the wider Hanley team has been superb and I would fully recommend the Hanley for their professional service and customer focus - excellent!

Reviewed on 24th November 2020
DB Hield's avatar
DB Hield

Always Brilliant

I've only ever used The Hanley Economic for my mortgage requirements. They are always quick to respond and very helpful. If you are lucky enough to have Mark Watson as your advisor then you are in safe hands. I will recommend The Hanley 10 times over.

Reviewed on 30th October 2020
Daniel 's avatar
Daniel

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Wow, thank you for your wonderful review! We are so pleased that you are happy with our service.

Friendly

Nothing. I don't feel nervious coming in like I do in other places. Always very friendly.

Reviewed on 29th October 2020
Mrs Leicester's avatar
Mrs Leicester

fixed rate bonds

looking to invest in FR181 fixed bond application form arrived , contacted company next day , told this bond was now closed.. why send forms out in the first place , totally useless building society

Reviewed on 29th October 2020
a richardson's avatar
a richardson

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry that on this occasion we couldn’t accept your application. We have a set amount of funds per product and this was fulfilled during the time the forms had arrived. We do have alternative products available which we would be happy to accept an application from you. If you wish to do so then please contact us on 01782 255000.

Positive experience

We had great communication from Jane at the Hanley. Clear and regular lines of communication were maintained and explanation was always given if we were unsure. Underwriter and our solicitor were able to communicate which is not always possible with the bigger firms.

Reviewed on 28th October 2020

Reviewed on 27th October 2020
Boulton's avatar
Boulton

Dissapointing

This company held my application for three months asked for heaps of informations and in the end still declined based on information they had from day one. They then charged me for this. AVOID AVOID AVOID

Reviewed on 26th October 2020
caroline's avatar
caroline

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. At Hanley Economic we pride ourselves on the service our customers receive. We have contacted you to rectify this situation and will ensure you do not have this experience again. Thank you.

Professional

I'm more satisfied with all aspects of my experience today. Cathryn was very friendly and I felt reassured with the thorough checks

Reviewed on 20th October 2020
Rachel's avatar
Rachel

Straight-forward

Friendly helpful staff, easy to deal with. Explain clearly

Reviewed on 19th October 2020

Reviewed on 18th October 2020
Brian's avatar
Brian

Good service

All on top form. Very good service

Reviewed on 15th October 2020
Jean's avatar
Jean

Mortgages

The Hanley is by far the most efficient and responsive organisation, financial or otherwise, than I can ever recall dealing with

My Hanley B/S mortgage has completed today. From first contact, having seen their RIO mortgage offered at an unbeatable interest rate, I have been most impressed with every aspect of the Hanley B/S. The phone has always been answered instantaneously by a real person, not a machine. Emails have always been acknowledged the same day. The two people who have been my contacts have been unfailingly knowledgeable, pleasant, polite and understanding of my currently rather challenging circumstances. The Hanley B/S would be doing a great service to the community if it were to set up a subsidiary to run courses for other organisations on the true meaning of 'customer care' and how to achieve it.

Reviewed on 15th October 2020