Hanley Economic Building Society Mortgages Reviews

Ratings based on 88 reviews       Last review 2 weeks ago
  Visit website

Hanley Economic Building Society mortgage reviews can help you to find out what other Smart Money People have to say about what could be your biggest ever financial purchase. Smart Money People was established in 2014 to help provide an independent source of Hanley Economic Building Society mortgage reviews. You write your mortgage reviews here to help other people find the best mortgage providers. Together, we can make financial services work better for everyone.

Hanley Economic Building Society Review Insight

Top Channel Preference: Branch

Voting in the British Bank Awards 2021 is now open!VOTE NOW

Your Mortgages Reviews

Review Hanley Economic Building Society's Mortgages now

Self-build, AVOID!

The Hanley said they would remove my ex-partner from our mortgage if I met their affordability criteria. I met their criteria and then they moved their self-defined goalposts as it, 'reduced their risk'. As a consequence neither of us could move on with our lives.

They then refused release of final stage payment unless I paid another exorbitant fee.

The Hanley severely damaged my health and delayed the project significantly all while I was paying them ~6% interest.

They had the following statement on their website, “Ensuring the customer is at the heart of everything we do”. It couldn't be further from the truth.

They knew the potential consequences of their actions, they didn't care. Avoid.

Reviewed on 9th February 2021
James H's avatar
James H

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Hi James, we are so sorry to hear about your negative experience during your mortgage application. We wish we could have helped you and turned this into a better, more positive experience. If you would like to discuss your application further please contact us at customerservices@thehanley.co.uk or call us on 01782 255000.

Retirement Interest Only Mortgage

Thanks to Mortgage Advisor Lana Beech, my Retirement Mortgage application progressed well despite the corona virus pandemic. Lana was always a delight to liaise with, helping me to negotiate the process with skill and good... Read more

Thanks to Mortgage Advisor Lana Beech, my Retirement Mortgage application progressed well despite the corona virus pandemic. Lana was always a delight to liaise with, helping me to negotiate the process with skill and good humour.
For those in retirement wishing to raise money against their property without the commitment to repay the capital until death or sale, the Hanley Retirement Mortgage is thoroughly recommended. The Hanley Retirement Mortgage also offers extremely competitive interest rates.

Reviewed on 2nd February 2021
JSS's avatar
JSS

Professional Friendly Efficient

Branch staff very helpful. The process was easy to understand. Lana Beech our Mortgage Advisor was Professional Friendly and always there to speak to Excellent Service.

Reviewed on 29th January 2021
Anne Wainwright's avatar
Anne Wainwright

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for your wonderful review!

Fantastic service on a self-build mortgage!

Our mortgage advisor, Jane Longmore, provided fantastic service throughout our application for a self-build mortgage. Right from the start Jane offered us support, information and time, and we never felt pressured or stressed when considering the different mortgage offers. Throughout our self-build process so far, Jane has been the most friendly and supportive external party we have worked with - she was always contactable even if we called her several times a week! Jane’s fantastic service led us to choose The Hanley Economic and we would thoroughly recommend to others based on this! The underwriting team were also easy to contact throughout and supportive.

Reviewed on 29th January 2021
Matthew Forrester's avatar
Matthew Forrester

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback, we are so pleased that you had a great experience and would recommend us to others :)

Self-Build mortgage

Completed a self-build mortgage with the Hanley Economic and our advisor, Jane Longmore. Even in these difficult circumstances, we always felt that Jane was incredibly accessible and she definitely went out of her way to provide us with comprehensive information regarding the mortgage. Each step was explained clearly and made the process very manageable. Towards the completion date, there was some confusion between what we understood from Jane and what the Underwriting Team were then telling us, but this problem was quickly resolved to complete what has otherwise been a very smooth process. Thank you to the Hanley and to Jane for all of your support.

Reviewed on 25th January 2021
Dan Jones's avatar
Dan Jones

The best mortgage advisor!!!

We are first time buyers and decided to go with The Hanley for our purchase. Our mortgage advisor was Lana Beech and she made the process effortless from our side, she helped to handle everything from start to finish.... Read more

As we are first time buyers we were completely out of our depth on where to start but Lana helped us through the whole process and made it really easy - she was very responsive and always got back to us on the same day. The service was amazing and really took a lot of stress out of the journey for us.

Tomorrow we get the keys for our first home and we are so excited!! Thank you Lana :)

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
Chelsea Haddon's avatar
Chelsea Haddon

helpful friendly efficient

I was dealt with by Jane Longmore who was available pleasant helpful and efficient

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
Janet Keenan's avatar
Janet Keenan

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for your feedback Janet!

Poor systems and incompetent underwriters

Very poor experience. Our mortgage broker applied for a mortgage, a decision in principal was given as it passed credit checks and affordability. Happily took £300 then they came back and said I didn't pass affordability (despite no changes). Provided evidence of pay rise (that hadn't been declared as it was yet to come into effect) AND offered to pay off a small loan which would have more than met the requirement (still using savings) but wouldn't accept. No explanation for the logic behind the decision (since everything else was fine with the application), no refund provided for their system allowing application to go ahead anyway. This happened literally days before they pretty much stopped lending above 60% LTV, coincidentally. No onwership of the issue and money taken. Oh and took a month and a half of going backwards and forwards to achieve nothing. Went to Leeds Building Society, happy to accept pay rise, house is now nearly complete just three weeks later. I recommend trying Leeds first, no application fee, they have competent staff with common sense and their affordability checking system works!

Reviewed on 16th January 2021
Daniel's avatar
Daniel

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Hi Daniel, we are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience and that we could not help you on this occasion. If you would like to discuss your application further please contact us at customerservices@thehanley.co.uk or call us on 01782 255000.

Friendly, professional service.

If you are after anyone to treat you like a friend throughout the whole process then I can’t recommend Lana highly enough. Her friendly but professional advice was outstanding. Lana Beech + Jill Condliffe I can’t Thank-you enough for all the hard work you guys put in to get me where I am.

A More than satisfied customer.

Reviewed on 15th January 2021
Jack Casewell's avatar
Jack Casewell

Fantastic Service

I would highly recommend The Hanley as a mortgage provider. Lana our mortgage advisor was 10/10! She made the whole process so straight forward and as stress free as possible - thank you!

Reviewed on 5th January 2021
Kieran's avatar
Kieran

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Thank you for your glowing review! :)

Mortgage offer

Thank you! Brilliant work and quick responses!

Reviewed on 17th December 2020
Verified Member's avatar
Verified Member

Further advance

We have just taken out a further advance on our mortgage, from our initial enquiry the Hanley have been... Read more

We have just taken out a further advance on our mortgage, from our initial enquiry the Hanley have been brilliant.
They got back to us shortly after to get the process started, Anna who handled our case was very helpful and friendly and dealt with us mainly over the phone apart from nipping into branch to take in signed forms.
We have been with the Hanley for a good number of years now with our sons child trust fund and mortgage and have always found Their products very competitive and they have always been easy to do deal with even now during this covid crisis .
I would have no hesitation in recommending the Hanley to friends and family.

Reviewed on 3rd December 2020
John Forrester's avatar
John Forrester

Above and Beyond

We completed our house purchase two weeks ago, and we quite simply would not have been able to buy this house were it not for the tireless efforts of Lana Beech, our mortgage advisor at the Hanley. Our situation was particularly complicated, and we faced several set-backs along the way. Lana navigated every obstacle with professionalism, enthusiasm, and a level of dedication I've never experienced from any other financial services provider. We really appreciated the individual approach, and the fact that we were treated as humans, not just customers. Above and beyond doesn't even begin to describe it.

Reviewed on 30th November 2020
Matthew Young's avatar
Matthew Young

Excellent *****

In a very difficult period of my life, during the COVID-19 pandemic, and when all other providers were declining a mortgage, Hanley gave me advice and helped me to get a mortgage. I am very happy that these people came to my way and helped me to make my dream come true.

Personally, a huge thank you to Lana Beech. Her friendly behaviour and her professionalism helped the process and made this journey end happily. I will never forget what she did for us. X

Reviewed on 24th November 2020
Paschalis Vlachos's avatar
Paschalis Vlachos

Excellent service and support throughout the whole mortgage process

The whole experience of completing my mortgage application with the Hanley Economic has been excellent. Mortgage advisor Jane Longmore handled the whole process with me with complete professionalism throughout, by taking time to listen and understand what I was looking to achieve with my mortgage, and provided clear advice that I could understand and answered every question without problem. Communication from Jane and the wider Hanley team has been superb and I would fully recommend the Hanley for their professional service and customer focus - excellent!

Reviewed on 24th November 2020
DB Hield's avatar
DB Hield

Always Brilliant

I've only ever used The Hanley Economic for my mortgage requirements. They are always quick to respond and very helpful. If you are lucky enough to have Mark Watson as your advisor then you are in safe hands. I will recommend The Hanley 10 times over.

Reviewed on 30th October 2020
Daniel 's avatar
Daniel

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

Wow, thank you for your wonderful review! We are so pleased that you are happy with our service.

Positive experience

We had great communication from Jane at the Hanley. Clear and regular lines of communication were maintained and explanation was always given if we were unsure. Underwriter and our solicitor were able to communicate which is not always possible with the bigger firms.

Reviewed on 28th October 2020
Alison's avatar
Alison

Dissapointing

This company held my application for three months asked for heaps of informations and in the end still declined based on information they had from day one. They then charged me for this. AVOID AVOID AVOID

Reviewed on 26th October 2020
caroline's avatar
caroline

Reply from Hanley Economic Building Society

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. At Hanley Economic we pride ourselves on the service our customers receive. We have contacted you to rectify this situation and will ensure you do not have this experience again. Thank you.

The Hanley is by far the most efficient and responsive organisation, financial or otherwise, than I can ever recall dealing with

My Hanley B/S mortgage has completed today. From first contact, having seen their RIO mortgage offered at an unbeatable interest rate, I have been most impressed with every aspect of the Hanley B/S. The phone has always been answered instantaneously by a real person, not a machine. Emails have always been acknowledged the same day. The two people who have been my contacts have been unfailingly knowledgeable, pleasant, polite and understanding of my currently rather challenging circumstances. The Hanley B/S would be doing a great service to the community if it were to set up a subsidiary to run courses for other organisations on the true meaning of 'customer care' and how to achieve it.

Reviewed on 15th October 2020
Verified Member's avatar
Verified Member

Flawless from start to finish!

We were extremely lucky to work with Jane from The Hanley on the purchase of our first property together, from the start we knew that we had gone to the right place and felt extremely valued. The time and effort put into our application ensured that everything went smoothly and the purchase of our house was processed quicker than we anticipated - a huge contrast to the horror stories we had heard from friends and family who had used larger lenders!! Thank you Jane, we will definitely be returning to you and The Hanley for any future purchases!

Reviewed on 4th October 2020