Voting in the British Bank Awards 2020 is now open.
VOTE NOW

Newbury Building Society Reviews

Ratings based on 542 reviews Last review 6 hours ago
4.79 / 5Amazing overall rating

Newbury Building Society pride themselves on their reputation. They provide excellent customer service, are involved with the local community, and have a firm commitment to giving its members long-term value. Smart Money People is the place for Newbury Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Your Newbury Building Society Reviews (542)

17th January 2020

Easy to enrol and open a Seniors account

But A pity I could not open a "Welcome to Newbury " account online as I live some distance from the nearest branch.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Lesley, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We will advise customers if we change Welcome to Newbury to online opening in the future. Many thanks

Straight forward service

The only slight quibble was that when requesting to open a new account, despite 3 tellers appearing to be doing nothing and two further staff behind the counter, I was asked to wait 10 minutes for someone to come from upstairs. Not the most friendly person, but I suppose accuracy is all that is required for a transaction.
Straight forward to open a account, although it's a shame the loyalty account limits deposits to 2000 per tax year.
No apology or explanation given for the reduction. Newbury Building Society not in the customer relationship business. Rates are good and passbooj account facility meets my needs. Happy to support local business over big banks.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Gareth, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we are sorry to hear that you are disappointed in the service you received from us. We will be in touch to discuss your experience.

Nice people, poor processes

Good initial support and advice followed by slow, bureaucratic and painful financial decision making. Just glad they didn't opt to take the kidney, lung and urine samples I was beginning to expect.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we are sorry to hear that you found the process painful. Can we ask someone to contact you to discuss what happened?
12th January 2020

Clear and precise information

Booked for appointment to open a new account. On arrival met by young lady who explained about the account and asked in turn certain information from us. The whole exercise took about 20 minutes.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Peter, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. It's very nice to hear that you received efficient service when opening a savings account.
12th January 2020

Always the most helpful

We have been with Newbury since we had our first mortgage 15 years ago. Every time we need to remortgage, they offer us a completely brilliant and super competitive remortgage, so we’ve never changed. This time they’ve helped us port our mortgage over to a new property - zero hassle and one hundred percent helpfulness. Particular thanks to Kate who always guides us through our mortgage queries.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Gemma, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for us. It's always so rewarding to hear that we have helped our members and that the transactions have been straight forward and hassle free. We will be sure to share your comments with Kate, who will be so pleased to hear them.
7th January 2020

Modern service provided by people who care

It's a pleasure to go into Newbury Building Society. You sit down to talk to the person serving you. They are always friendly, helpful and professional. The on-line service is excellent too.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Steve, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we do appreciate it.

Looks A Good Choice

Should have done this earlier. The member of staff that dealt with myself and wife was very knowledgeable and the process of opening an account was swift and easy. Don't delay do it to-day.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Stanley, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for us, it's much appreciated! And welcome to the Newbury!

Charging accounts

Caroline was brilliant. She had everything ready for me on saving accounts and which ones are the best suited to me....

She filled in the forms and did very thing for me. Because she knew what I wanted before hand and knows my situation she catered for my every need.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Rachel, thank you for your feedback, we will be sure to share it with Caroline. Thank you, it's much appreciated.

Remortgage and further advance

First class experience. My remortgage and further advance went very smoothly. NBS are a first class society to deal with. Great customer service and a speedy process. Very easy to deal with. Thank you.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi Mike, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, it's much appreciated and we are so pleased to hear your transactions were stress free!
27th December 2019

Great for first time buyers

Great experience using Newbury. When applying for a mortgage for the first time it can be pretty daunting and confusing. Newbury made the application easy and supported us all the way through.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. It's much appreciated and congratulations on your new home!
23rd December 2019

Santander could touch your level of service .

Having been a Santander customer for 28 yrs and never missed a mortgage payment I thought it would be a dead cert for getting a mortgage on our new property -They were dreadful- down grading our mortgage 3x and excessive demands for self employed expenses .
We instructed another mortgage advisor who went with Newbury -within 24 hours our mortgage was accepted and underwritten by a human being with common sense . Thanks to Newbury and their traditional values of customer service we were able to move .

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Dear Tracy, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We're delighted to hear your experience with us was a positive one! Congratulations on your move and we hope you enjoy your new home!
22nd December 2019

A very satisfactory outcome.

We are new customers. Alice Champion opened a new account with a minimum of fuss, but without hurrying or cutting corners. Being from 'financial backgrounds' we understood the process and compliance issues to be dealt with, and she handled all these in a methodical and efficient manner. A pleasant experience overall.

Reply from Newbury Building Society
Dear Robin and Julia, thank you for your kind words. We will share your comments with Alice - she'll be delighted to read them! Wishing you all the best.