We are delighted to reveal the winners of the British Bank Awards 2022, run by Smart Money People!
Now in their eighth year, the awards saw over 81,000 votes cast across 29 categories over 13 weeks to determine the winners and we are grateful to everyone who cast a vote in the awards and helped us to find the winners. Scroll down to see the full list of winners and those awarded highly commended for each category.
We announced the winners on Thursday 5th May, at an awards ceremony in the heart of London, with over 330 guests joining us to celebrate at our first in-person awards event for the since March 2020, when the British Bank Awards were held just days before the country entered into lockdown.
On the evening, Monzo walked away with the highly coveted ‘Best British Bank’ award for the first time, sponsored by Folio, who were the headline sponsor in the awards. The team also took home awards for ‘Best Business Account’, which they won for the first time, and ‘Best Banking App’, making the coral coloured challenger bank the top winner for 2022 in the awards.
Starling Bank maintained its hold of the award for ‘Best Current Account’ for a fifth consecutive year, and also scooped the award for ‘Best Children’s Account’ for the first time for its Kite account which it launched in 2020.
Tembo received the award for both ‘Best Newcomer’ and ‘Best Mortgage Broker’, for their specialist family mortgage brokerage, providing solutions to helping people achieve their dreams of homeownership. The achievements in the British Bank Awards come less than 12 after Tembo formally launched to market in June 2021.
Many of the winners within the awards this year provide app-first solutions to people’s banking needs. NewDay’s latest offering to the credit card market, Bip, won ‘Best Credit Card Provider’ in the awards for their app-based credit card product, and Chip, an app focused on encouraging people to save, won ‘Best Personal Finance App’ for the second time.
British Bank Awards 2022 Winners and Highly Commended
Top Level Awards
- Best British Bank (Sponsored by Folio) - Monzo
- Best Building Society (Sponsored by Finova) - Suffolk Building Society
- Innovation of the Year (Sponsored by The Fintech Times) - HyperJar
- Best Banking App (Sponsored by Folio) - Monzo
- Best Newcomer - Tembo
- Highly Commended Best Newcomer - Ilumoni
- Customer Service Champion - Novuna Personal Finance
- Treating Customers Fairly Champion - RateSetter
- Personal Finance Journalist of the Year (Sponsored by 71a) - Katie Binns
- Online Financial Influencer of the Year - Lara Joanna Jarvis
- Highly Commended Online Financial Influencer of the Year - I'm Broke Baby
- Best Alternative Finance Provider - CapitalRise
- Highly Commended Best Alternative Finance Provider - CrowdProperty
- Best Business Banking Provider - Monzo
- Best Business Finance Provider - Allica Bank
- Best Children's Financial Provider - Starling Bank
- Best Credit Card Provider - Bip.
- Best Crypto Exchange (Sponsored by Folio) - Ziglu
- Best Current Account Provider - Starling Bank
- Best Ethical Financial Provider (Sponsored by Merje) - Triodos Bank
- Best Investments Provider - Triodos Bank
- Best Specialist Mortgage Provider (Sponsored by The Mortgage Marketing Forum) - Newbury Building Society
- Highly Commended Best Specialist Mortgage Provider - Suffolk Building Society
- Best Mortgage Broker - Tembo
- Best Online Trading Platform (Sponsored by Folio) - Freetrade
- Highly Commended Best Online Trading Platform - Wealthify
- Best Personal Finance App (Sponsored by Folio) - Chip
- Highly Commended Best Personal Finance App - HyperJar
- Best Personal Loan Provider - JN Bank UK
- Best Savings Provider - Melton Building Society
- Marketing and PR Partner of the Year - TeamSpirit
- Consultancy of the Year - Capco
- The Pioneer Award - 11:FS
- Technology Partner of the Year - CSI
- RegTech Partner of the Year - Encompass
Commenting on the results of the evening, CEO of Smart Money People Jacqueline Dewey said, “With the awards 100% voted for by consumers and no judging panel, the British Bank Awards truly reflect the best of the UK banking industry, and the commitment and engagement these organisations have from their customers. This year our winners range from the newest firms in the market to well-established household names, illustrating the breadth and depth of the UK's financial services market across many sectors. Both the finalists and the winners of the awards this year should be proud of their achievements.
With household and business budgets really feeling the squeeze at the moment, we know that getting the best rate or best deal is more important than ever but it's so important that providers also maintain high levels of customer service and satisfaction. We're absolutely delighted for our winners but also hope that these awards serve a higher purpose in helping consumers and businesses make more informed choices about who they trust with their hard-earned money."
Commenting on the awards, Antonio Mugica, Founder/Chairman of headline sponsor Folio said, “The banking sector is being revolutionised by technology and new business models, yet the consumer remains the most important part of this transformation. Because these awards listen to the customer we believe the winners can take additional pride in their success. Our congratulations go out to all the winners and nominees, your hard work is ensuring Britain remains the world leader in financial services.”
About the British Bank Awards
Launched in 2015, the British Bank Awards saw over 81,000 votes cast across 29 categories over 13 weeks to determine the winners. Voting in the awards was as competitive as ever, with some categories having up to 10 finalists in the run up to the winner’s announcement.
The awards are determined by asking customers to vote for their favourite product provider by leaving them a rating out of five and then a review on the Smart Money People website. Smart Money People also asks the customer to give a rating for customer service, NPS, value for money and whether they felt fairly treated.
About Folio, headline sponsor of the British Bank Awards
Folio, is the world’s most loved digital wallet! It makes signing up to online services simple and effortless as you never have to upload ID documents again, just use your Folio Wallet instead.
About Smart Money People
The British Bank Awards are run by Smart Money People, which offers a dedicated website for reviews on financial service products to help consumers better understand which companies are providing great customer service, in order to help financial decision making.
Smart Money People use the data collected from the financial service reviews to provide customer insight to companies across the industry, showing them what they’re doing well and benchmarking against their peers. Smart Money People also runs the Consumer Credit Awards and Insurance Choice Awards each year.
The British Bank Awards will be back in 2023!
Voting will open on Monday 9th January 2023, so save the date.