RIAS Reviews

RIAS is a specialist provider of home and car insurance for the over 50s. We have the expertise to find the cover you want for all the possessions and memories you've collected over the years. Smart Money People is the place for RIAS reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Good

RIAS Review Insight

Auto renewal scam

Every year I get new household insurance, which I did after a year with Rias as the price had gone up so much. Little did I know but they automatically renewed anyway without my knowledge (they're very smug at telling you it's in the terms & conditions since my complaint) and they took my money (yes, I should have noticed that) even though insured with someone else. Then for the third year, I moved house and they still automatically renewed at my old address, even though I didn’t live there. I was of course insured with someone else.

After complaining, they write to me at my old address that I haven’t lived there for over a year, stating they will charge me a non-refundable admin fee and may only consider a 50% refund of one of the years, but I also have to get a DUAL INSURANCE QUESTIONAIRE filled out by my previous insurer that have to be stamped with their company stamp – sending copies of my past policy isn’t enough.

These people will do anything to wriggle out of paying back an unwanted premium and seem happy to go to ridiculous lengths of bureaucracy . I’m only glad I didn’t have to make a claim, you can imagine how difficult that would be.

It’s a principle thing now and have got the Ombudsman involved.

Reviewed on 13th November 2020
Ian Bright's avatar
Ian Bright

Home Insurance

Water leak in July still not resolved

Water leak in July and no electric in the lounge since then, still waiting for the claim to complete with rias. Constantly having to chase with call wait times up to an hour each time to no effect, would not recommend this insurance - avoid.

Reviewed on 26th September 2020
Rachael Lawrence's avatar
Rachael Lawrence

Home Insurance

Settled a fraudulent clam agaisnt my name

Appaling! I had a fraudulent claim made agaisnt me last year. I got in contact right away to defend myself and told them there was no way I could have been involved as I would have to have been in teo places at once. I also sent a email letter to AGEAS stating everything and heard nothing more, so i assumed that was the end of it. I recieved my renewell qoute a few weeks a go with a renewell of over £150 a month with all of my no claims taken from me! On speaking to AGEAS they claim theyve not even madr a final decision on this case yet as they hadnt collected my evidence! This is illegal as you cannot wipe a persons no claims until found guilty of an accident! Ive already said legal action will be the next step for this shocking company

Reviewed on 28th June 2020
Amy's avatar
Amy

Easy to sort out

I have my contents insured with rias and it was easy to set up and a very competitive price.

Reviewed on 12th September 2019
Capitano's avatar
Capitano

great!!

easy to set up. great customer service and good price.

Reviewed on 7th June 2019
Debbie Jayne Davies's avatar
Debbie Jayne Davies

Rip off

Been with this company for about 20 yrs paying £53 a month for house & contents insurance !!! When our immersion heater broke we contacted them ,they sent someone out to fix it .the gentleman said it can't be repaired ,so got back to Ria's,to be told they won't replace it ,although they were told by the engineer its not repairable,Ria's still told us they would only pay for the repairs !!!!!we have never claimed from this company in all the years we have been with them ,They then sent US a bill for £130 for cancellation, what a bloody joke just like the company,so if you are unfortunate to join this company I would enquire about everything you are entitled too before you waste your money !!!!!!!

Reviewed on 15th February 2019
Jackie craven's avatar
Jackie craven

No Customer Service Skills Whatsoever

My mother passed away & I received an abruptly worded letter demanding answers to numerous questions & an alternative funding source for her contents... Read more

My mother passed away & I received an abruptly worded letter demanding answers to numerous questions & an alternative funding source for her contents insurance.
Upon phoning them I was left on hold for 12 minutes, they are the only company to totally disregard the common courtesy of offering condolences. The woman (having put me on hold three times by this point) and whose manner was barely civil said that I couldn't cancel the insurance and they would need a copy of the Death Certificate (which is standard) plus they would need payment of £11.27 for the months premium pro rata (payment was last made on the 3rd and she died on the 7th). Once again she was dismissive and seemed totally oblivious of the fact that although RIAS could lose £11.27, I had just lost my mother. I would never recommend them & hope never to have to deal with them & having looked at a comparison site today found the premium was twice what other companies are quoting.

Reviewed on 22nd November 2018
SH's avatar
SH

Unprofessional

My Mother sadly passed away two weeks... Read more

My Mother sadly passed away two weeks ago.

She had taken contents insurance for her house from Riaz and been with them for a number of years.

Upon her passing, I contacted Riaz to inform them of the same.

The gentleman (using the term loosely) that I spoke to seemed more interested in recovering the last premium payment (due out of her account some 7 days after she passed) than actually offering any sentiment of condolence.

However, like my mother taught me, I firmly believe that a debt of any kind (in this case £14.25) needs to be settled & gave them my name & contact details to facilitate the same.

Today I received a letter from Riaz at my (not my mother’s address) addressed to my mother stating there was an outstanding balance and demanding settlement within 7 days of the date of the letter (dated some four days earlier).

There was no reference to the fact she was recently deceased.

Please do not misunderstand me, I was not expecting a condolence card and flowers, but a professionally worded letter addressed to me at my address (AND NOT HER) referencing my earlier report of her passing stating there was an outstanding amount would have been perfectly acceptable... Dare I even suggest a remark noting sympathy???

Instead, my Mum (NOT ME) at my address receives a needlessly poorly toned and possibly threatening letter demanding payment.

One can only conclude the Riaz are either unprofessional, disorganised, incompetent, don’t really care about their clients or are possibly in such troubled times that £14.25 could make or brake them to such a degree that they have to send such a shocking letter to a recently deceased person!

Disgusted!!!!

After calling them to again state I would settle the amount and objecting to the letter, they did write off the out-standing balance, but frankly, not nearly sufficient for my anger with them to subside!

Would strongly discourage anyone from using them!

Reviewed on 5th October 2018
Stewart Lawton's avatar
Stewart Lawton

Nothing hidden

Having had my home contents insurance with RIAS last year, when my renewal came up I was amazed to find there was hardly any increase in the cost for my second year's insurance, making them still cheaper than any other. Included in that is a great customer service who listen to your needs and process everything exactly when they are asked to. Hopefully next year's renewal quote will be just as competitive.

Reviewed on 18th August 2018
Corinne Fisher's avatar
Corinne Fisher

Home Insurance

Good

Helpful easy quick claim process

Reviewed on 20th June 2018
N Berry's avatar
N Berry

A welcome introduction

Made me feel welcome as a new customer. Gives me confidence that they would be efficient if I had to make a claim.

Reviewed on 1st October 2017
Gillian Yates's avatar
Gillian Yates

Home Insurance

I have been with RIAS for years and have never had a problem through at least five claims. Price never rose, all work completed in a very timely manner and all with no hassle what so ever.

Reviewed on 30th September 2017
Serena La Pietra's avatar
Serena La Pietra

Good service

Been with this company for years and never had a problem.

Reviewed on 26th September 2017
christine holman's avatar
christine holman

Always hassle free

I've been with RIAS for several years now and have always found them very friendly and helpful. They are cost effective and always hassle free to deal with. Highly recommend

Reviewed on 13th September 2017
Leza Holme's avatar
Leza Holme

Home Insurance

Had an issue but resolved quickly

My policy schedule had a specific cover item missing which was on other documentation. I emailed RIAS via their online portal and the matter was resolved within 24 hours. Happy with the service and price.

Michael Daly's avatar
Michael Daly

Exspensive good service and helpful.

1st year exspensive . Second year the insure went up higher in price I ask why and they lowered it by an amount of about 60pounds .The third year they sent a reminder to which I thought was to much money. So I cancelled.

Home Insurance

Gouging Pensioners by charging over 3 times the average - AVOID!!

I just found out my 88 year old mother is paying £459.93 per year for home insurance. I only pay Admiral £135.64 for a holiday home of very similar value and property type which is unoccupied for 3 weeks of the month. I called Rias and spoke to a guy called George in Customer Service who offered no explanations or anything as to why they are taking advantage of a lady who is nearly 90. A quick look on the web reveals that RIAS is bad news I recommend anyone using them and especially if there are elderly family members check the price VERY, VERY, CAREFULLY!!

Reviewed on 29th August 2017
John T's avatar
John T

Home insurance

I found Rias helpful and the house insurance was reasonable, they are a reputable company and are easy to deal with, when I needed to make a claim the lady helped me all of the way, no pressure or difficulties, I have always trusted this insurer for... Read more

I found Rias helpful and the house insurance was reasonable, they are a reputable company and are easy to deal with, when I needed to make a claim the lady helped me all of the way, no pressure or difficulties, I have always trusted this insurer for my needs.

Reviewed on 1st August 2017