Coventry Building Society Reviews

Ratings based on 57 reviews       Last review 2 weeks ago

Coventry Building Society is committed to offering all their members long-term value with a service that is as simple as it is efficient. Smart Money People is the place for Coventry Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Coventry Building Society Review Insight

Disgusted by their actions

After reading online an article about how the Coventry building society cheated 2 OAPS out of their home of 40 years . The ordeal caused 1 OAP to die a broken man. My wife was appalled by the Coventrysite action and will transfer her account to another Bank. Avoid Avoid Avoid

Reviewed on 5th January 2022
Carl Mason's avatar
Carl Mason

Savings

refusing to close my account

2 weeks and CBS still refusing to close my account. This establishment think its THEIR money and not the customers money. Ignore them at all costs

Reviewed on 5th November 2021
jim patterson's avatar
jim patterson

You're a criminal

Bad experience at the Highworth branch. Got treated like a money laundering criminal. Was asked to provide proof of a private sale of a motorcycle. I was explicit concerning the sale and when asked how I could provide further evidence the manager said I could've (and I quote) taken a screenshot of the eBay advert. I was astonished. The end result was that they just wouldn't believe the money was from an honest transaction and refused to deposit less than £3000. So I closed my account and went to the Post Office and paid it in there. What makes me laugh is that the manager had no idea about motorcycles and I could've shown him a photo of a pram and he wouldn't have known the difference.

Reviewed on 11th August 2021
Michael James's avatar
Michael James

Savings

Sharp practice over interest rates and no communication

I opened a Double Access Saver (online) account with the Coventry paying 1.2% interest on 22 September 2020. While preparing my tax return for the 20/21 year, I noticed from the end of year statement issued by the Coventry in April that the account was listed as a Limited Access Saver (online) account paying 0.55% interest.

I queried this by phone & was told that the Society had supposedly sent me an email on 10 February telling me of this change. No such e-mail was received. I complained about this, and was told that as far as the Coventry was concerned, it had met its obligations. And so, on the back of a single email, of which I have seen no evidence whatsoever, the Society believes it can unilaterally close a customer’s account and open another one on considerably reduced terms – in this instance a c. 70% interest rate reduction - without first seeking consent.

Unlike other financial organisations, the CBS feels no need to ensure that a customer has received an email on such matters by inviting a response. It doesn't believe it's necessary to issue a follow-up confirmation either electronically or via the post. I see that it subsequently ‘reissued’ the Double Access several times in Autumn at a continuously lower interest rate. This in itself doesn't inspire confidence.

My extended family & I have been customers of the Coventry for 20 years. It's a shame that, having once traded on its ethical reputation, the Coventry now freely resorts to sharp practices & treats its loyal customers with such contempt. My family will be taking its custom elsewhere. Not that its managers will care, of course.

Reviewed on 6th July 2021
Michael Hrebeniak's avatar
Michael Hrebeniak

Good rate

Easy to open a saving account on line and manage it on line. best rate in town at the time of opening.

Reviewed on 4th April 2021
Peter Costello's avatar
Peter Costello

Savings

Good interest rate in comparison

Opened as best savings interest of the day. Been reduced regularly since but still slightly better than the rest. Only gripe would be to add a SMS authentication option as well as automated call - not.everone can take a call!

Reviewed on 11th March 2021
Italiano's avatar
Italiano

Successful Investment

I invested lump sum in an ISA after seeing the rate at the time- content investor .

Reviewed on 18th January 2021
Glyn's avatar
Glyn

Savings

Coventry b soc Online not recommended

A year ago Internet Banking was easy until I was locked out! Trying to access a new Internet Account proved very long winded and in the end I gave up and withdrew funds except for bonds. Not recommended! M King

Reviewed on 11th August 2020
Michael King's avatar
Michael King

Still living in the 20th century

tried to open an account online - the normal way to do it nowadays. All that happens is that they send you an envelope of paper which took so long to arrive I had forgotten that I had made the application. not sure I can be bothered frankly

Reviewed on 29th May 2020
onecounsel 's avatar
onecounsel

Savings

Always kept informed - good rates - no harrassing!!

Reviewed on 24th May 2020
Gigi's avatar
Gigi

Good savings product

Receive a decent interest rate for saving a set amount each month to be held for a fixed period of time. Easy to set up online. Staff available to talk with on the phone for help and guidance if required.

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Fiona sutherland's avatar
Fiona sutherland

Savings Accounts

Friendly & very easy to get through to on phone - good if not great rates but talking to real people who are happy to help makes the difference

Reviewed on 5th February 2020
Helsbells20's avatar
Helsbells20

Fantastic Service

Always looking after our money and giving the best savings rates on the market.

Reviewed on 19th January 2020
Stephen's avatar
Stephen

The best

I like Coventry Building Society. They are up to date and offer some good rates of interest across their products. I have recently opened an easy access saver which gives one of the best interest rates out there.

Reviewed on 16th January 2020
Chimera's avatar
Chimera

Best Incompetant Building Society 2019 - Coventry

Still waiting for my WEB ID three months after opening an account. Coventry are unable to explain why I havn't received my web id. They can't supply it in branch, on line or by post. In the 21st century this has to be the most incompetant building society ever.

Reviewed on 10th January 2020
Stephen Shepperd's avatar
Stephen Shepperd

Coventry First

The Coventry First has changed and it's now very inflexible

The Coventry First account has changed in the last year. The current account no longer allows an overdraft on the current account. The debit card can no longer be used for purchases and can only be used to withdraw from cash machines.

Reviewed on 27th December 2019
Clare Baskott's avatar
Clare Baskott

Feeble Staff Training

Don't even think of applying for a mortgage with these people if you are a company director. They have absolutely no idea how Ltd companies operate. If you're a sole director and your company has shareholder funds just under a million this does not compute with the Coventry. Feeble training of underwriters and ludicrous questions.
They feel they are doing you a favour not providing a service.

Reviewed on 28th November 2019
Richard Sutton's avatar
Richard Sutton

Savings

Frustrating to set up and register online

I have just opened a savings account with them and I have never before found setting up and registering for online banking so annoying, long-winded and... Read more

I have just opened a savings account with them and I have never before found setting up and registering for online banking so annoying, long-winded and frustrating!

I almost gave up with the amount of paperwork and failed attempts I made!

However, the 2.5 % interest is the best I could find on the market at the moment with a maximum of £500 a month paid in for a year.

Reviewed on 22nd November 2019
Rachel H's avatar
Rachel H

Mutual values

Coventry is how a building society should be. It listens to its customers and puts their interests first.

Reviewed on 5th November 2019
Alex White's avatar
Alex White

Bad experience

I have applied for a mortgage 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a decision. Keep asking stupid and irrelevant questions. Do not recommend, don't waste your time and money with them.

Reviewed on 22nd May 2019