Newbury Building Society Reviews

Ratings based on 1,138 reviews       Last review 1 day ago
  Visit Newbury Building Society

Newbury Building Society pride themselves on their reputation. They provide excellent customer service, are involved with the local community, and have a firm commitment to giving its members long-term value. Smart Money People is the place for Newbury Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Newbury Building Society Review Insight

Top Age Profile: 65+

Top Channel Preference: Branch

Newbury Building Society Products 1,138

Mortgages

Friendly service by real people

Very friendly service helpful and great advice. No robots used always a bonus .

Reviewed on 4th May 2021
Kelly's avatar
Kelly

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Kelly, no robots here! Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for us, we appreciate it.

Easy helpful process

Excellent personal service by staff at Wokingham. Always very friendly and treat me as a person and not just another customer. Was very thorough when going through the important details of the account. Made sure that I knew the finer details so I knew that the account was right for me. She even informed me of a future interest rate reduction, honest, and not willing to hide anything, so I could have changed my mind.

Reviewed on 3rd May 2021
Dave's avatar
Dave

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Dave - thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and for your kind words - our colleagues in Wokingham will be so pleased to hear this. Thank you.

Mortgages

Efficient safe professional and clear! Thank you

Reviewed on 3rd May 2021
hm.mooney14@gmail.com's avatar
hm.mooney14@gmail.com

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi - thank you! And thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

Mortgages

Remortgage was made quick and easy. Good rates and very little hassle to process the paperwork.

toni norris's avatar
toni norris

Reply from Newbury Building Society

HI Toni, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback - we appreciate it.

Time consuming experience

I opened a new savings account and had to submit a copy of my passport for validation purposes, which I did within minutes of receiving their email. As I had not heard back from Newbury Building Society after a few days, I phoned them up to check on this. The person who answered my query was very pleasant but could not help me with my query. Total waste of my time and effort.

armonty's avatar
armonty

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi - we are sorry to hear this and not our normal level of service - if you would like to contact us on marketing @newbury.co.uk with your details we can follow this up immediately.

NBS Positive Experience

Decided to open up an existing members account in branch. Gladys was really approachable, knowledgeable about the account I was interested in & just lovely to deal with, so well done NBS for having such individuals.

i's avatar
i

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi, thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to leave feedback - we will be sure to share your comments with Gladys who will be so pleased to hear them. Thanks again.

Mortgages

Brilliant experience. Staff were super friendly and responsive.

Speaking to staff was an easy, pleasant experience. Very responsive to any queries. I never had to worry about it. Brilliant company & staff.

CBlundy's avatar
CBlundy

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi -thank you for taking the time for leaving feedback for us. We really appreciate it

Opening existing member account

Gentle but helpful accounts reviews led to opening this account. Then a further helpful follow up phonecall after we had deposited the money in the wrong account, as we'd entered the wrong reference number! Thank you.

Sara's avatar
Sara

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Sara, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for us - we appreciate it.

Excellent prompt efficient service

Well trained staff offering excellent and prompt service

John Southern's avatar
John Southern

Reply from Newbury Building Society

HI John, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and for your kind words.

Savings

Very easy to speak with real people in your Wokingham Branch. I spoke with Holly, and she managed to see me that same day.

Lynne's avatar
Lynne

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Lynne, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback - we really appreciate and know that Holly will too!

Mortgages

Gave what other companies didn't

I have been with Newbury since 2014 and they are/were the only company that recognised a services injury pension when applying for a mortgage...the other companies basically said the computer says no'. Thus I recommend The Newbury to everyone, they are professional, friendly, approachable and go out of their way to help. My mortgage advisor, Angela Bradshaw is just the best and has simply gone above and beyond to help and advise. Simply the best company who treat you as an individual with individual needs and not a computer statistic

Steve S's avatar
Steve S

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Steve - thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to leave feedback for us. Angela will be so pleased to hear this - we appreciate it.

Savings

Opening a Home Saver Account took a long time.

The account was easy to apply for online as I was already a NBS customer. The account showed up immediately when I logged in but I didn’t receive a message from NBS to confirm I could pay into it as I was supposed to. I rang after several days to ask if I could pay money in and spoke to a very helpful man but when he checked for me he said not to pay in yet. It was several days later before I got the OK to pay money in. I’m surprised it took so long as I was an existing customer.

Jennifer Lenton's avatar
Jennifer Lenton

Transferring accounts

I explained what I would like to do. Transfer one account balance to a higher interest account and Tina talked me through it all completed the paperwork then sent it to me to check over and sign. I then had to send it along with my passbook to my branch. Apart from a phone call from Tina confirming some information all has gone through smoothly. Thank you

Kim B's avatar
Kim B

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Kim - thank you for taking the time to provide feedback - we appreciate it.

Savings

annual statement of interest for tax

It would be nice to receive an annual statement of interest for tax for my Newbury Building Society accounts . or even a letter saying the interest rate is going down.

Reviewed on 28th April 2021
Sandra Christine Boyles's avatar
Sandra Christine Boyles

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Sandra, thank you for your feedback - our annual statements should have been received last week and letters regarding the interest change were sent two weeks ago (around 14 April). Please can you contact our customer service team to check that the contact details we have for you are current? - apologies that you did not receive either of the above communications - we appreciate this is frustrating if you are not receiving these.

Friendly and personal

Very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient service with a very personal feel.

Reviewed on 28th April 2021
Verified Member's avatar
Verified Member

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi - thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to leave feedback - we appreciate it.

Newbury Building Society are time wasters

I recently applied online to open a new saver account. I opened the account without any problems and I deposited funds. A few days later I received a phone call from a representative of Newbury Building Society informing me that my account will be closed because I live outside of their area of operation. When I mentioned that there was nothing in the account information or the application suggesting that I was not eligible to open the saving account, the response that I got from the representative of the society was that the rule about living in the operation area was stated in some obscure document that was available on their website. Allowing customers to open and fund saving accounts online and then deciding to close these accounts for reasons not mentioned in the account documentation is not a way to do business. It shows that Newbury Building Society is not a serious financial institution. The market is very competitive and my time is far to precious to have to deal with time wasters such as Newbury Building Society.

Reviewed on 26th April 2021
Konstantinos's avatar
Konstantinos

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hello Konstantinos, we are sorry to hear this. The terms and conditions (the document you mention) include full details of regional restriction information which outlines the post codes. To open the account we advise that these should be read and then you must then tick to agree that you have read them to complete the account opening process. We will certainly review how we can make it clearer that the terms and conditions include vital information and should be read on the site as a result of your feedback, so thank you for taking the time to provide it. If you would like someone to contact you to discuss this please do contact us at enquiries @ newbury.co.uk.

Savings

Friendly staffs, easy to use online banking, excellent rate

Very pleased with the staffs on phone and at the branch, all very knowledgeable, approachable and helpful. Their saving account offers excellent interest rate. Also very importantly the branch is a dog friendly :)

New customer's avatar
New customer

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi - thank you for taking the time to leave feedback we really appreciate it - and welcome to you and your dog!

Great Building Society, great website

I recently opened a new account at the Newbury. That was very straightforward. I then applied for Internet access to the account and that too was very straightforward. Finally I open a new account using the website and that was straightforward. They offer favourable rates, a friendly smile and a simple website that works!!!

Marcus Richards's avatar
Marcus Richards

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Marcus, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for us - we appreciate your kind words. And welcome to the Newbury!

Savings

Opening a savings account.

I was impressed with the telephone conversation I had as it provided me with all the information I needed to open a new account.

Elizabeth's avatar
Elizabeth

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to leave feedback - we really appreciate it.

Small Societies are best

The wonderful and polite treatment confirms my long held experience that smaller Building Societies are both friendlier, more efficient, and offer best terms

Terry Quinn's avatar
Terry Quinn

Reply from Newbury Building Society

Hi Terry, thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to leave feedback for us - we share these comments with our colleagues and it does make everyone very proud. Thank you.