BUPA Reviews

Ratings based on 31 reviews       Last review 1 day ago

Smart Money People is the place for BUPA reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Average

BUPA Review Insight

Features

Always evading claims

It took me a month to get the claim rejection overturned. BUPA has no idea on medical conditions. Only after getting evidence from the consultant and after having our company HR apply pressure, and providing 20pp of published evidence did BUPA pay the claim. Even then they refused fault.

Reviewed on 20th October 2021
Tim Passey's avatar
Tim Passey

Health Insurance

Avoid being a member of BUPA

I've been a loyal member with BUPA since end of 80s I started with a full policy to cover for anything i may have needed they have made it so difficult for me to continue with them now my policy is not worth the paper it's written on. My premiums are £232 a month a increase of £40 a month from last year's renewal I also have a ,£500 excess and have to pay all my consultation fees and no cover for any physio out patient cover. As a member we were all promised a fair rebate for being unable to access treatment during March-September of last year I didn't receive a month's payment back. They say they gave a loyalty team don't be fooled they may have a department called loyalty team but I've been told no one gets treated any different if you are a loyal member for over 30 years or not guess the word loyalty gives members a false sense of security because BUPA do not seem to understand the meaning of the word. I've recently found out if a member wishes to be transferred out of a NHS hospital after being admitted to a ward and under a consultant there's no way for the foreseeable future BMI or Spire Hospitals will accept transfers BUPA did not even know this they strongly denied it then I made them phone the hospitals and they then had to inform me I was right they then tried to tell me all memberships are for elective admissions only absolute rubbish. No one wants to speak to you they hide behind closed doors I could go on I have cancelled my membership today and yave been told I now have to wait up to 38 days for my refund complete joke. Please do not waste your money on this company they are a greedy profit making organisation who care very little about its members only about the amount of money they receive from them. Shameful

Reviewed on 3rd August 2021
Karen Stevenson 's avatar
Karen Stevenson

No Stars

No stars!!! Not worth having the cover, they’ll find any excuses not to provide treatment. I had purchased a fully comprehensive plan for my 2 year old son. My son was referred by BUPA recommended GP Babylon and when I called BUPA to arrange treatment we were told we had to have a referral from our GP and our GP had to fill in the form. The whole point of going to Babylon GP was because our GP didn’t have any appointments available. How can our GP fill in the form when our son was seen and referred by Babylon? He was not seen by our GP, BUPA staff are very rude when you complain. I’ve written a complaint email 6 weeks ago I’m still waiting for their reply. I was sold a comprehensive plan which was completely useless and waste of time and money. They won’t be there for you when you need them please avoid. I’ve cancelled my sons plan and gone to much better insurer.

Reviewed on 30th July 2021
Dinesh Kathrecha's avatar
Dinesh Kathrecha

BUPA service

Get your lawyer and medical practitioner to examine BUPAs terms and conditions and never accept their attempts to deny treatment against medical advice. They do not employ qualified medical personnel to make decisions regarding treatment.

Reviewed on 2nd July 2021
J Johnson's avatar
J Johnson

Scam

5 years with them, never asked them for anything, ones I really need and of course the where looking for excuses!!!... Read more

My case is so simple and they where digging I'm my pa's when I was 14 I felt off and my nose was bleeding, now I'm 43 and recently I have a bit problem with breathing and i asked for help, they said to me I have preexisting condition because what happened about 25 years ago.. Ridiculous!.
Please don't give them money! They are Scam

Reviewed on 18th June 2021
Sasho 's avatar
Sasho

Disappointing zero stars

I would give this a zero if I could. I have been paying $125 a month for 6 yrs and recently got braces which I was Originally told was covered when I signed up in 2015. On the site it also says I am covered for orthodontics including braces, however, apparently after sending in all the receipts I'm only covered for braces if I have an accident. So unethical. Please do not go with bupa. I am paying 10k out of pocket for braces, Bupa is not even giving me back $1 of my own money!

Reviewed on 19th March 2021
Sarah's avatar
Sarah

Health Insurance

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY I'VE EVER USED. PLEASE TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!

I am honestly so utterly disgusted with BUPA, the way they have treated me and the absolute lies they have told... Read more

I am honestly so utterly disgusted with BUPA, the way they have treated me and the absolute lies they have told me.
I am 49 and have been with BUPA for a large part of my life through private and company policies and chose to stay with them when moving from a company to private policy in April as they offered a continuation policy (apparently!!)
I was quoted approx £80 per month and having had around 10 brain operations I thought was very reasonable. I was then asked if I had had any issues with my back such as arthritis and whilst I hadn't, I explained that I had fallen over on an icy travellator a few years ago and had 2 lots of injections in my back (which didn't work) and some physio but that there was no further treatment that I could have nor would be able to have (I had written proof of this) as I had been left with chronic pain and not a back condition.
Bupa do not cover treatment for Chronic Pain but despite this they loaded my premium by 150% from £80 per month to over £200 per month, purely because of my back pain and told me that it would not be reduced again at any point, even though they could see that I was not and could not claim anything for it and that it would increase further every year with age etc
I asked them to exclude my back if they were happier doing so, although I did not really see why it was necessary, but they refused, and despite there being recordings and written proof that the loadings were solely because of the fall and not my brain ops (the brain condition has now been cured), they then lied and started suggesting that it was to do with the brain ops after all to justify the huge increase. They also said that I was told it could be changed within the first 21 days of cover and they could have looked at excluding it, another lie as I was never told that.
I pointed out that they had already told me it was not to do with my brain and I asked for an explanation as to why the loading was so huge. They then told me they don't have to explain that to me and if I wasn't happy I could seek cover elsewhere, which will obviously leave me with no cover for anything that is considered pre existing, such as any treatment relating to my brain should I ever need it again.
This is only a snapshot of what has happened and the way that I have been treated by them but I can honestly say I have never been treated with such total indifference and lack of compassion by a company before.
They have absolutely stitched me up and taken an additional £1500 from me this year for something that they themselves admit they do not even cover.
I would urge you to go elsewhere for cover. My family are now cancelling their policies too and I will never ever recommend BUPA to anyone, indeed I would urge anyone looking for cover to take their business elsewhere.

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
SARAH L's avatar
SARAH L

Health Cash Plan

Brilliant service

Easy and benefits are amazing. Highly recommended :-)

Reviewed on 24th September 2020
KuKaur's avatar
KuKaur

Health Insurance

Too complicated, disorganised and terrible customer service

My company had a automatic policy with Bupa- so I used it for the first time for Mental Health counselling. First of all, it took about one week for them to access my information and my policy cover. They recommended three therapists of two who were no longer active. (generalists, nothing too niche) The policy was so complicated so I have double checked that the treatment was being covered 100% and have asked them to let me know before any cost incurs. I went ahead with the treatment, only to find out that I had to pay after which I really couldn't afford.

The only therapist from the recommendation, was not qualified to deal with my issues, I found out half way through the x10 sessions I've had.

I've raised a complaint to Bupa, whilst I was being pestered for the invoice to be paid ASAP (because she 'needed the money for holiday'...) they repeatedly promised me to call me back, get back to me, I am still awaiting, after 2 weeks.

In the meantime I paid the invoice.

I called them because I suffered anxiety- this experience made it so much worse.

Reviewed on 16th August 2020
ottie's avatar
ottie

Cowboys

They classed new symptoms I had as pre existing conditions even though I'd never even seen a GP about them previously and they weren't on my medical record. I lodged an official complaint which was dismissed and am cancelling my policy (with no refund obviously). The second time they did this it cost me a surgery date that I'd been waiting 9 months for. The result is... I'm going to miss my surgery window and am still currently walking round with a bone sticking into my skin. Avoid at all costs, like insurance salesmen they'll find a way to get out of making a payout for absolutely everything. It should probably also be worth a mention that I held the most extensive policy

Reviewed on 7th August 2020
NS's avatar
NS

THEY CAUSED ME HEALTH ISSUES

Everything you read below is TRUE! I am sat waiting for an appointment for two months and still have not been seen. Lord help me

Reviewed on 23rd July 2020
Stacey Magnifique's avatar
Stacey Magnifique

Crap

These people just take your money and don’t pay for anything . Big con! Don’t bother with the money I paid them I could have paid for all my medical needs . Now I’m well out of pocket because of them

Reviewed on 3rd May 2020
Nick zammit 's avatar
Nick zammit

not worth your money

Bupa is a too expensive healthcare insurance provinieron to not cover any sort of epidemic, like the corona virus which is brewing. I think it’s shameful that in case of such emergency they will not cover their clients even after taking thousands of dollars. Look for better insurance policies that will cover you in such epidemics...

Reviewed on 5th March 2020
Ben's avatar
Ben

Health Insurance

misleading documents, verging on lies.

My personal guide tells me that they will pay for a service, which other documents contradict this Their documents basically lie. What a waste of money. I am cancelling my account today, don't waste your money by signing up with them.

Reviewed on 20th May 2019
hilary white's avatar
hilary white

Keep away from BUPA

To whom it may concern in... Read more

To whom it may concern in BUPA.

I would like to complain on your poor service and support.
I tried to use your service for the first time and did not received it when needed.
I was under the impression that you are all about the customers. Me and my family left other health insurance company due to recommendations on BUPA but seems we have been mis leaded.
My 3 yrs daughter need to see a Paediatrician.
On Thursday, the 17.01.19 we have spoken to your representative on the phone which asked if we have a referral from our GP. We have answered yes and he asked us to read the content of the latter and after doing so, he asked if we can send a copy of it, which we did.
An hour after spoken to the same representative again and he has advised that the medical team suggested that the content of the GP is good but the format of WORD is no good and asked to receive it in PDF, so a few min after we have sent the ''right'' format to the Medical Team via email and we have received a confirmation email that it was well received. We have been spoken to the same representative again and he said that now they are closed as it is after 6pm and that he will contact us first thing in the morning.
First thing in the morning arrived and off course no one contact us and no authorisation number seems in sight.
When we have called BUPA again, we have been advised from a different representative that still no confirmation and perhaps it has not even been received and that it can take up to 72 hours to confirm the format in the medical team while a child is sick ?!?!?
So we send it again.
Then we have been transferred to a person name Mark who said he is the manager or something like that and he still couldn't help us with receiving authorisation number although we have kept explaining that we do not wish to hold with it into the weekend.
All this time I have a sick child, which is insured with BUPA, that need to see the Paediatrician, we have sent the right documents that asked to be provided and the only thing we keep hearing is that the format needs to be checked ?!?!?!?!?
Weekend has entered, Saturday then Sunday so no one to support.
Monday 21.01.19 (day 5 after contact BUPA) – As expected, no authorisation number and no one to help.
Make you wonder, why do I pay for a family insurance with BUPA ?!?
The 2nd representative called around 4pm to say is calling out of curtesy but no authorisation number yet.
Please note, in both times while was speaking to the 2nd representative, he was very unpleasant and just tried to end the conversation.
My 3 yrs daughter still seek and still need to see the PD !
Funny thing is, when I called today to BUPA and asked as a new customer, if I will join, how long will take to receive an authorisation number for a 3yrs, consider off course there is a referral letter from the GP, how long will it take – I have been told, ''On the spot, with out even waiting more than 2 min''.
I have asked if she is sure with her answer so she did double check and confirmed again: ''On the spot''.
Please note that all calls are monitored in your system so please feel free to check yourselves. Please Do !
BUPA, are you always lying and behaving this way to all of your customers or just randomly choose where you can play with people lives?
Today is Tuesday, 22.01.19 – Day 6..
FCA FYI ASAP !!!!

Reviewed on 2nd February 2019
dan's avatar
dan

Health Insurance

A good brand minus the bureaucracy

I was on a Bupa company health insurance plan in Egypt. They did have the best hospitals in their list like the Saudi General. The only downside was having to fill in the paperwork while you're sick. I did send in my claim, though to date, I've not received any of my money back. Was a pity

Reviewed on 19th September 2018
Anna T's avatar
Anna T

Poor communication

My widowed mother in law is 84 and in 10 years she has not made a claim and has paid around £40,000 in premiums. My wife has to make all the enquiries on behalf of her mother and then relay the information to her. She has seen a consultant at a local private hospital and he decided she needed to go to the local general hospital (The only one in the area) to have laser treatment prior to a cataract operation. In making phone calls, they are well aware that my wife is handling, but notwithstanding that we have more understanding of procedures, Bupa still managed to confuse us by saying that our hospital was not a Bupa participating hospital. Bearing in mind that Eastbourne has a population of well over 100,000, we did not understand this and no attempt was made to explain why she could not go to the district hospital. The consultant does not operate anywhere else, so in that case we would be left without a consultant. Why can’t staff take the time to explain. Do they not have any thought that an 84 year old woman may, and in this case is, extremely worried about having any type of operation. Bupa need to do better and customer skills at present fall far short of what they ought to be.

Reviewed on 18th May 2018
Martin Bourne's avatar
Martin Bourne

Health Cash Plan

Slow communication and no online portal

Whilst it is possible to claim on line, there is no effective portal where you can view remaining allowances or previous claims.  These have to be obtained by telephone  or email. The latter can take several days for a response.

Reviewed on 21st March 2018
Anon's avatar
Anon

Terrible Customer Service

They lose important paper work, don't believe what the customer says. Hang on phone for hours. Depends on whom you speak to as to how they answer your question, from poor to bad. Heard very bad reports from friends and relations in the past about BUPA but didn't believe them until it has happened to me.

Reviewed on 16th February 2018
S. Ross's avatar
S. Ross

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH

Costs a fortune, and when you ask for cover, they try everything to find a reason why they will not cover you. They are hopeless, one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Don't touch them with a barge pole. Alyson.

Reviewed on 16th February 2018