Clydesdale Bank Reviews

Clydesdale Bank is a bank that's big enough to provide competitive products, but small enough to offer a more personal touch. Smart Money People is the place for Clydesdale Bank reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Clydesdale Bank Review Insight

Fees & Charges

Business Banking

Just disgusting - No other way to put it, really.

Laughable really. I am supposedly a "private account customer" and I pay for that (not for much longer). I wrote the following to Clydesdale bank, and have been contacted today by some clown from "Virgin Money" who says that my complaint will be responded to in the next 4 to 8 weeks. Just read what I wrote, and reflect on their response! Says it all, doesn't it?

I am a private account customer acting as executor to my late father and I will need an account for September / October onwards for this purpose. I am happy to pay a reasonable fee for this safety and security.

Your "bereavement line" first of all tells me that you can't be bothered to answer because of Coronavirus, and then tries to throw me back to your website. (Which contains nothing to help me).

This is exactly the sort of clueless and infuriating lack of customer service that I have expected since you tied yourself up with the truly dreadful "Virgin" brand, and I can only say how thoroughly depressing it is to see it all starting to happen, exactly as feared. I suggest the following course of action:

1) Get rid of the Coronavirus message on your bereavement line - everyone is maddened by these excuses now and they have become the hallmark of abysmal service and a profound lack of care for customers everywhere.

2) Get that line answered promptly by a human being who sounds as though they care, not a machine - it is a bereavement line, remember?

3) Stop showing so obviously, that you are trying, with every fibre of your being, to try to prevent your customers from actually talking to anyone.

4) Show this all to someone who can make it all happen now, or these comments are going to appear all on feedback pages all over the internet.

5). Kindly have someone email me or call me to deal with my requirement.

6) Dump the Virgin brand, cut your losses, learn from the experience. It is not a good look, and pretty unpopular, having utterly wrecked our gyms, trains, flights, and now, it seems, our banks!

Yours most sincerely.

Reviewed on 18th August 2021
Albireo Double's avatar
Albireo Double

Current Account

Bank account with useful benefits

Clydesdale Bank Reward Account is an easy to use account with a decent app which includes allowing you to pay in cheques via the app without having to visit a branch.

Reviewed on 16th April 2021
Philip Thomson's avatar
Philip Thomson

Signature Account

Fantastic packaged account for great value of £13.50. Offers Travel Insurance, Breakdown Cover, Mobile Insurance and Gadget Cover.

Reviewed on 19th July 2020

Brilliant 0% spending card

I got this card so I could spread the cost of my purchases, and it's been perfect.

Reviewed on 12th July 2020
Daniel Austin's avatar
Daniel Austin

Gold Credit Card

It is a very small bank acting like an extremely small bank

The system is awful their services an extreme challege to use, honestly, why do they pretend to offer a ......service

Reviewed on 2nd May 2020
Martin's avatar
Martin

Signature Account

Fantastic value for money. Travel Insurance, Breakdown Cover, Mobile Phone and Gadget Insurance all for £13.50 per month.

Reviewed on 28th April 2020

Very bad bank

I wish I never joined this bank I wish I read the reviews but I joined virgin money bank which I now find out is Clydesdale bank big big big mistake.... Read more

My story is I have stage 4 terminal cancer bone lung blood very rare and very aggressive sarcoma I opened this account 3 weeks ago to have my benefits paid into it yesterday I found out that my account has been put on hold and have stopped me from gaining access to my money with no reason what so ever and I have been told by all government agency that they cannot hold benefits monies paid to me it is illegal and they are breaking the law but hey do they listen no they have caused me stress and it’s killing me so they are some evil people working there rude VERY VERY RUDE and they do not care I have reported them to ombudsman who are now looking into this and solicitors for breaking the law I hope and pray they lose there banking licenses and never operate again so MY FELLOW BANKERS PLEASE DO NOT BANK WITH THIS BANK

Reviewed on 11th March 2020
Huseyin bozokay's avatar
Huseyin bozokay

Current Account

Wish I never joined this bank

Reviewed on 11th March 2020
Huseyin bozokay's avatar
Huseyin bozokay

Business Banking

FOR YOUR SANITY - AVOID!

After 2 years of banking with them for my LTD company I gave up. The log in and platforms are overly fussy and confusing, so many steps, so many passwords and so MUCH FAFF! You can't export your statements into excel, they don't integrate with any accountancy software. ITS DIFFICULT. I've just opened a new account with Starling bank as I was so lightheaded with rage having to deal with clydesdale recently. Just don't do it.

Reviewed on 6th March 2020
Laura's avatar
Laura

Cash ISA

friendly staff, decent products

Helped sort out my deceased father's estate afew years ago

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Henry Campbell's avatar
Henry Campbell

Current Account

Great bank for many years with an easy app & banking

Used this bank since i was young, never had any issues with banking, loans, overdrafts. Charges are always reasonable and their banking app easy to use. Even though half the branches are closed never had an issue banking via the post office and the online app means you can also scan in cheques.

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Lisa's avatar
Lisa

I love the B app

The B banking app is great. Was from Clydesdale/Yorkshire bank but now has been taken over by Virgin. So easy to use, great functionality.

Reviewed on 1st February 2020
Kate S's avatar
Kate S

Efficient, customer-friendly app

Very convenient, user-friendly, detailed credit card app.

Reviewed on 18th January 2020
Greg's avatar
Greg

Current Account

This bank is absolutely appalling

This bank is absolutely appalling. I was defrauded by someone of nearly £500 - this person was using a Clydesdale bank ... Read more

This bank is absolutely appalling. I was defrauded by someone of nearly £500 - this person was using a Clydesdale bank account.

After contacting their customer service team, they palmed me off and didn't take the fraudulent activity seriously. Eventually i had to obtain a crime reference number and escalate to the Banking Ombudsman to have them take me seriously acknowledging my complaint under reference [#2254504].

Not only that, i provided their customer 'experience' team comprehensive details of what happened, how it happened, account numbers, names, details, times and dates - essentially doing all the investigation for them - this was in October 2019, and in January 2019 they have failed to provide any meaningful update. This is a shambles - money has been stolen by one of their customers and they have no protocol in place to handle this, and are unable to provide any details of what they have actually spent the last 3 months doing.

The ombudsman have now become involved and asked them for a final response - this is not good for Clydesdale (ref: PNX-3390434-W4Z8)

If you are using Clydesdale to bank with - i would be very very concerned as they clearly have no measurable controls around fraud, and could not care less about customer or any other service. The fact that i have had to escalate to the Banking Ombudsman tells you all you need to know about the quality of Clydesdale.

Avoid at all costs.

Reviewed on 17th January 2020
Ben Thompson's avatar
Ben Thompson

Fantastic Benefits account

I hold the Signature Current account and for what I pay each month I'm still saving a lot of money!

Reviewed on 23rd November 2019

No complaints

I switched over to clydesdale just over 2 years ago now and they are hands down best bank I have ever had. Call centres are always quick to get through to and opening hours in branch are great.

Reviewed on 22nd November 2019
Corrinne McLeish's avatar
Corrinne McLeish

Loan

Good interest

Easy process and good interest rates

Reviewed on 20th November 2019
Linzo84@btinternet.com 's avatar
Linzo84@btinternet.com

Critical Illness

Account-holder has Altzheimer's - impossible for spouse to withdraw much-needed money

I have been trying to help the French wife of a Scottish friend with Altzheimer's to withdraw money from her husband's account with the Clydesdale bank. We have phoned 5 times, never been able to talk to anyone at the branch concerned, sent all requested documents - certified translations of the lady's power of attorney and of her French Identity card. She is 84, lives in NE France and cannot travel to Scotland. What else can we do to get the money she requires to help pay for her husband's care and which is reightfully his and hers? We understand that there must be security controls but given that we have sent the above-mentioned documents and 3 withdrawal request forms over the past 4 months, we cannot believe that the Clydesdale bank is there to serve its customers.

Reviewed on 30th October 2019
Sheila Roberts's avatar
Sheila Roberts

Always Helpful!

Clydesdale Bank staff have always been very helpful and friendly, making sure I'm aware of the best deals to get the most out of my banking!

Reviewed on 31st August 2019
m.simpson's avatar
m.simpson

Gold Credit Card

A great credit card, and terrific service when applying for it.

Reviewed on 10th June 2019