Standard Life Reviews

Standard Life is a long term savings and investment business, with headquarters in Edinburgh. Smart Money People is the place for Standard Life reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Good

Standard Life Review Insight

Accuracy & Consistency

isa review

good return on investment, easy to deal with online

Reviewed on 4th August 2020
robert laidlaw's avatar
robert laidlaw

Pensions

Negative rating cannot be recorded which is what is deserved

Awful company and complete theft of my With Profits pension despite knowing of the Equitable Life problems years ago with similar... Read more

Awful company and complete theft of my With Profits pension despite knowing of the Equitable Life problems years ago with similar funds.
Also theft of my AVCs not in any contract to pay my GMP pension which was substantially under funded due to fat bonuses paid out to the senior management.
Cannot and must not be trusted for any sensible financial mangement products. there are lots better elsewhere.

Reviewed on 25th July 2020
Mike's avatar
Mike

Awful

My father paid in £25000 into his standard life pension in 2005. Over the course of 15 years the pension fund actually lost money. They have since made it unnecessarily complicated to withdraw the funds. Keep your money in the bank. The brokers at standard life must be using fisher price trading platforms.

Reviewed on 22nd July 2020
Michael s's avatar
Michael s

Life Insurance

Life and critical insurance means peace of mind.

Took out a joint policy 15 years ago roughly and would not be able to find a policy at the price we are paying now, in fact it would be £200 more!

Reviewed on 1st July 2020
Helen Knight's avatar
Helen Knight

Frustrating

Each time I have called to speak to a representative it takes forever to get through....how long is their lunch hour as according to their lame excuse it must go on most of the day...... Very frustrating!

Reviewed on 10th February 2020
Shaz's avatar
Shaz

Pensions

Does what it says on the tin!

Fairly new to standard life pensions and I like their online functionality for viewing and managing my pension although I think it's a fairly unremarkable provider overall.

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Steve Voller's avatar
Steve Voller

Pensions

Reliable and good performance over the years

My pensions with Standard Life have performed at least as well as the market average over the years and the service I have received has always been excellent

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Robert McIntosh's avatar
Robert McIntosh

Annuity

A strong company

Having been with this Company for some 40 years I find them very honest and very helpful.

Reviewed on 31st January 2020
Peter Jackson's avatar
Peter Jackson

Do t trust this company

Took growth by charging unreasonable fees. Did not follow instructions made when requested to pull out took almost 1 year. No growth over 5 years .....

Reviewed on 8th January 2020

Easy to use

It is really easy to use their systems to get real time information on my pension. I can easily see investment growth as well as break down of contributions. The best bit is however, being able to update my details online by myself.

Reviewed on 15th April 2019
Victoria Anne Peake's avatar
Victoria Anne Peake

Investments

Well performing endowment policy

Recently matured endowment policy yielded greater than expected value with mortgage promise bonuses - great result!

Reviewed on 4th January 2019
Sandy's avatar
Sandy

Annuity

Poor annuity .

initially in 2012/14?, I struggled to access a pittance of an equity from standard.life at a difficult time of potential unemployment. The financial consultant I initially arranged the plan with seemed to be obstructing my request, which at the time I raised with Standard life with no effect . Now I have had triple/duplicate request for information for the annuity review, even though I have already supplied it. I changed my first name by deed poll in 2014, (&informed them) and I am getting requests with also my previous first name, a Christian name. I am near atheist , and I find this both discriminatory, oppressive, regressive and unreflective of any modern day organisation that values religious freedom. It has made me feel like I must be a Christian to access services, a review of my annuity, that they are currently processing.

Reviewed on 20th October 2018
RWhetr Rathna's avatar
RWhetr Rathna

Pensions

Poor returns and forced down an expensive route I don't want.

I stopped putting pension money into SL when I came to appreciate they set up individual polices for each and every contribution - 30 years gives you 30 separate plans that attract 'management fees'. As I approach retirement, the money I did put in has not grown much. Only one fifth of the growth I achieved through other schemes.
Now I want to withdraw some money, I'm told the entire pension scheme will be folded - I thought you could withdraw 25% tax free and leave the rest in the Pension Plan - not so with Standard Life. They insist you buy into one of their other schemes. I just looked at the costs - Threadneedle charge 0.75% management fee - Standard Life Threadneedle attracts 2.25% management fees.......they cash in on you - worst investment I ever made.

Reviewed on 25th July 2018

Reviewed on 3rd June 2018
Jamie Wood's avatar
Jamie Wood

Awful online experience

Took me a lot of effort to set up my online account and now I am being forced to change my password. Adding insult to injury, the process doesn't work properly. Called them and they were equally poor.

Reviewed on 1st May 2018
Anon's avatar
Anon

Investments

Does What It Say's On The Tin

I can't fault Standard Life as they look after all my investments and give a great return !!

Reviewed on 11th February 2018
KARLYBOY's avatar
KARLYBOY

Excellent long term performance

Long term performance is excellent and exceeded projections given when I took out the policy. Great communications and website.

Reviewed on 5th July 2017
Peter Vogwell's avatar
Peter Vogwell

Easy to monitor online

I don't have much use for servicing the pension as I just leave it to do its thing. The online service is useful to track progress and customer service is friendly and efficient.

Reviewed on 4th July 2017
leedsbiker's avatar
leedsbiker

Pensions

Customer service not helpful but product seems fine

I have an occupational pension with Standard Life and when I was leaving my job, I inquired about being able to continue with my own contributions. I found that customer service through emailing on the website were not very helpful at the time, but when I phoned some time later, the service on the call was good. You get sent annual statements to show how your product is performing, which is helpful.

Reviewed on 4th July 2017
Anna G's avatar
Anna G

Plain Pensions

I have had my pension with Standard Life since my company asked me to join about 15 years ago. Since then I have taken voluntary redundancy and now I am self employed. I have been carefully advised, helped and looked after by them since then, and I have a nice little package which will suit me well when I retire or even, should I wish, when I reach 55, so I can take a small lump sum. I think their customer service is always friendly and helpful and thoughtful too.

Reviewed on 19th June 2017