Suffolk Building Society, formerly Ipswich Building Society Reviews

Ratings based on 26 reviews       Last review 12 hours ago

At Suffolk Building Society we're here to help our members buy a home and save for the future with an organisation they can trust. Smart Money People is the place for Suffolk Building Society reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services.

Suffolk Building Society, formerly Ipswich Building Society Review Insight

Suffolk Building Society, formerly Ipswich Building Society Products 26

Mortgages

Excellent personal service and rapid response

I phoned expecting to wait for ages to get an answer. Carly responded promptly and passed me on to the Admin Department. The information I needed was sent to me almost immediately and I am now able to resolve a pressing financial issue.

Reviewed on 30th November 2021

Very antiquated

The lender has some niche areas in terms of underwriting but their overall processes are very backward compare to the rest of the mortgage market. Ideally they will look beyond their own world and see what others are doing to help clients.

Reviewed on 19th November 2021

Reply from Suffolk Building Society, formerly Ipswich Building Society

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention, I apologise that our services have not met your expectations and would be happy to discuss your comments in more detail if you would like to contact us directly. As part of our recent rebrand to Suffolk Building Society we have begun reviewing our existing processes and internal systems. We will take your feedback into consideration during this process, and anticipate the upcoming changes will provide a much better customer experience and more streamlined process for all involved.

Savings

No online facility, stuck in the dark ages

It's 2021 how can they not have Internet banking it's ridiculous. Struggled to get an appointment to open a new account so will be moving my savings elsewhere. change your name if you want, still a rotten apple underneath

Reviewed on 6th October 2021

Reply from Suffolk Building Society, formerly Ipswich Building Society

Hi there, thanks for the comment. We're very sorry to hear you've looked to move your savings elsewhere - but we do understand given that there's no online facility. We are going to be launching online savings in the near future and it's a priority for us in 2022. We hope you might take a look at our savings accounts again in the future when we've launched our online offering.

Customer care

Found staff-especially Mr. Paul Blaking - very helpful and patient in our dealings.

Reviewed on 28th September 2021

Mortgages

Ipswich-so easy to do business with

I needed money to purchase a dream motorhome. Rang Ipswich, thinking this is going to be difficult, but they agreed in principal very quickly. Money arrived on time and what’s more so much cheaper than a bank! Thank you Ipswich !

Reviewed on 17th September 2021

Lack of customer service

Unable to provide accurate information or clear updates. Chose as local but shall stick with a bigger mortgage provider.

Reviewed on 11th September 2021

Reply from Suffolk Building Society, formerly Ipswich Building Society

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and we are sorry our usual high standards fell short for your mortgage enquiry. We are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries and appointments, which, sadly, have clearly impacted our ability to give you the service we strive for. Your feedback is incredibly useful as it helps us to monitor our service standards and, having fallen short of expectations, we will review this and act accordingly. Thank you once again.

A little dated

I like my fixed rate saver as not too bad of a penalty if I withdraw early, however no online service is not very 2021 and the Ipswich branches close at 3pm which is bizarre.

Reviewed on 27th August 2021

Savings

Excellent service always at Woodbridge.

Welcoming staff at the Woodbridge branch.

Reviewed on 25th August 2021
Kathryn's avatar
Kathryn

Poor interest rates

Better interest rates found at other Building Soc so had to change companies and the cost of changing the name of this soc should not be down to the savers

Reviewed on 20th August 2021

Good staff in branch

I only have positive things to say regarding staff and service in branch. I usually use Halesworth branch. I do however feel that the society could do with a major revamp of its online services. In this day and age you really should be able to check your accounts on line and currently this isn’t available.

Quick efficient savings

I contacted my local branch with regards saving, I was dealt with politely and with clear information. My cheque was cleared quickly and the transaction confirmed by telephone

Nacton Branch

I always use Nacton Branch for any transactions. They are always most helpful and nothing is too much trouble, even when I need them to explain things they take the time to help me to understand. Lots of different staff but always lovely.

disappointing

Called IBS regarding the requirements to make withdrawals but the operator failed to mention all account holders were required to be present for the transaction!

disappointing

On line

It would be nice to manage all your accounts on line.

Avoid at all costs!!

reviews ... Read more

reviews

IBS

As it says on the title, avoid IBS! Having had a mortgage with the society for close to 5 years, they have outrageously high early repayment charges( much higher than any other lender). Poor customer service, no customer loyalty.
Archaic in lending- no opportunity to speak with someone at any senior level, if you request a call back with senior management they will forward messages on.
Highly judgemental organisation that needs to move to the 21st century.
So pleased to have left them and have always advised family and friends to AVOID!

Reviewed on 16th August 2021
ME's avatar
ME

Reply from Suffolk Building Society, formerly Ipswich Building Society

Thank you for your review of our mortgages. We are sorry to read you have been unhappy with our service and in particular our Early Repayment Charge. All of the fees and charges relating to our mortgages are displayed upfront and listed in the individual ESIS document, so we are sorry that you feel unhappy with those charged on redemption of your mortgage. In relation to your comment about being unable to speak with a member of our senior management team we apologise for not being able to meet this request – we will take this feedback on board and are committed to improving service standards for our members. Once again thank you for your feedback and we apologise we did not meet your expectations.

Mortgages

Helpful, professional and a good mortgage deal

It is very easy to contact Ipswich Building society and to speak to an advisor. I received good advice and I am very happy with my mortgage. Everything was set up with the minimum of fuss.

Reviewed on 15th July 2021