Legal and General Reviews

Legal & General reviews can help you to find out more about this long established UK insurance company, with a wide product range. Legal & General have built a strategy around Every Day Matters which they claim "guides us in everything they do." Smart Money People is the place for Legal & General reviews. Read and write reviews to help us increase trust and transparency in financial services.

Legal and General Review Insight

Very helpful

Left laptop on train. Was replaced (since named item) and due to the one we bought no longer being available we ended up with a better one than we started with!... Read more

Was hassle free and call center staff were friendly and helpful throughout. Now have all my insurance through them.

Reviewed on 25th August 2016
Charlotte Pike's avatar
Charlotte Pike
Editors Choice

ripping of veterans

robbing veterans of what they are... Read more

robbing veterans of what they are due
when i left the royal air force I transferred my raf pension into a buy out plan after being made guarantees by an employee of legal and general stating my raf benefits would be a minimum that I would receive . It transpires that my pension will not be paid til age 65 fives years after the raf payment date and no tax free lump sum . they then sell my pension to reassure so they can wash there hands off it .what an upstanding company robbing veterans who have served there country .

Reviewed on 13th May 2021
Charles Proctor's avatar
Charles Proctor

Annuity

Choose your friends more wisely

Unfortunately L&G were commissioned by Aegon to provide a product I had originally bought from Scottish Equitable. Aegon did such a bad job that L&G are implicated in the mess too. Choose your friends more carefully in future L&G

Reviewed on 4th May 2021
Matt Durcan's avatar
Matt Durcan

Constant issues, no resolutions

I've never struggled to pay an insurance company before, normally they snap my arm off for every last penny but Legal and General have managed to provide me with a litany of... Read more

I've never struggled to pay an insurance company before, normally they snap my arm off for every last penny but Legal and General have managed to provide me with a litany of firsts.
- First company ever to force me to reset my password to something new, literally every time I log in. I'm up to 7 times in a two month period.
- First company to enforce the special characters I can use in my password, presumably because their IT team is not up to scratch and cannot setup their website properly.
- First company to not be able to provide me access to my account because someone else at my address also has a policy with them.
Also the only company I've ever dealt with that take my money via direct debit and return it, consistently, two days later, before sending a message to complain I haven't paid.

Then you try and get in contact and wait and wait and wait. Don't bother, I've cancelled the account. Based on what I've seen of their IT, I've also asked them to remove all my data, I'm sure they'll be the next company in the news about a data breach.

Reviewed on 11th April 2021
Alex's avatar
Alex

Investments

money well looked after

safe investing company.money in good hands

Reviewed on 26th March 2021
James Hamilton's avatar
James Hamilton

Critical Illness

Don't bother

Please don't bother insuring yourselves for life cover with this firm as they don't pay out when you die of COVID-19 if there was a 0 star for effort and empathy then I'm sure they would qualify. As a business professional I have never experienced such weak excuses from a company not to pay a small life cover that another rival company did!!!. They will happily take your money for years but beware down the line if you think your loved ones will be looked after think again! Shame on you !!

Reviewed on 24th February 2021
julieane skelton's avatar
julieane skelton

Worst Customer Services

Sir,... Read more

Sir, Madam,

I logged in a complaint on 19/08/20
I received an acknowledgement from Legal and General that my complaint was “being processed” on 26/08/20
I asked for update on 09/09/20
I received another acknowledgement from Legal and General that my complaint was “being processed” on 15/09/20
I asked again for an update on 14/10/20
I asked again for an update on 07/11/20
I asked again for an update on 25/11/20
I asked again for an update on 09/01/21
I received on 12/01/21 a blunt email, automatically generated from Legal and General, asking me to create an account and read my message…
Subject: BESECURE. FW: Your Complaint with Legal & General
I discovered on the 12/01/21, that I have an email from Legal and General dated 08/10/20.
I never got a notification and I never created an account or been asked to create an account or been told that if I don’t have an account I cannot receive email from Legal and General.

The automatic renewal of our insurance contract costed us 20% more than the first year.
It was not mentioned in any notification we received. There was no visibility on this huge increase.
Then it proved impossible to talked to someone and get a reply as to how this could happen without warning us.

Your customer services department is really the worst I ever saw.

Now, I request you to stop the automatic renewal of our contract, because obviously, we will not continue with Legal and General.
And I want a reply to my email, not your hidden own mailbox created by Legal and General.

Sincerely gutted and disappointed.

Kind regards

Reviewed on 24th January 2021
Romain's avatar
Romain

Home Insurance

These low-lifes give the insurance industry the bad name it's renowned for!

To refer to these low lives as pond scum would be an insult to aquatic weeds.... Read more

To refer to these low lives as pond scum would be an insult to aquatic weeds.
They take your money for years and when you make a claim, they search high and low for caveats in their terms and conditions to weasel out of paying. Not only that, whilst they "process" your claim they will take months to "investigate" potential conflict of their hidden T&C clauses, whilst still charging you your monthly premiums. You have to chase and chase and listen to excuse after excuse about the underwriters being busy, before eventually being told they are making your policy invalid.

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
Fran G - Leeds's avatar
Fran G - Leeds

Pet Insurance

Rubbish

3 months to settle pet insurance claim, very little corrosponce despite sending numerous emails and attempted phone calls. I will not be renewing any of my life or pet insurance policies at renewal, more stress than it's worth.

Reviewed on 15th January 2021
Hazel bankier's avatar
Hazel bankier

Worst Insurance company I have dealt with

Lost my phone, made a claim, have had 2 minor claims in my adult lifetime, was interrogated by some third party 'fraud prevention' company they have appointed who have insinuated I was somehow being dishonest, told me blatent lies in an attempt to get me to admit my claim is somehow fraudulent. Almost 2 weeks on and still no settlement or communication, absolute WORST insurer I have dealt with in 20 years. Quick to take my money but will resist settling claims. I will be cancelling. Pay a few pounds more and insure with a decent insurer. I wish I had read some of these reviews before taking out my insurance with the 'CHEAPEST'. Unfortunately in this case you get what you pay for, ZERO. With insurance one expects peace of mind but this is a joke of a company and we are all powerless, they do what they want. I would give a minus if I could. Will be reporting them to the Ombudsmam.

Reviewed on 24th December 2020
Manjit Hear's avatar
Manjit Hear

take, take,take

paid in for 20 odd years, paid off morgage but they still took money out of account, said my bank had asked for a refund, then sent me a letter saying if i dont pay funds back they refer to debt recovery!! quick to take my money, was going to insure car and caravan with them, thats just cost them about £700

Reviewed on 11th December 2020
lewy's avatar
lewy

Avoid at all costs.

Earlier this in heavy winds, a tile was blown form my house roof. This damaged a neighbour's property causing damage. Initially Legal and General Insurance agreed to settle the claim and instructed repairs to be carried... Read more

Earlier this in heavy winds, a tile was blown form my house roof. This damaged a neighbour's property causing damage. Initially Legal and General Insurance agreed to settle the claim and instructed repairs to be carried out.
Five months later, after following up the claim. L and G decided not to pay out on the claim, the reason was I had stated my property was maintained in good order. L and G said they would most likely have paid out it I had said my property wasn't maintained in good order.
This was my first insurance claim in over 35 years, I have found out the hard way, honesty doesn't always pay with insurance companies.
I now find I have to settle the repair bill with my neighbour myself, despite being insured, or so I thought. Never totally trust an insurance company.

Reviewed on 25th November 2020
R's avatar
R

Friendly and Quick

I wanted to get home insurance and Legal and General had good reviews, one phone call later and my mind is at ease. I definitely didn't feel pressured or swayed to pay more than I was comfortable with paying. Lovely people!

Reviewed on 11th September 2020
Audrey Odriscoll's avatar
Audrey Odriscoll

Terrible Administration

Very hard work just trying to do simple things like not renewing a policy, even having given plenty of notice prior to the policy end date. I had the policy with them for many many years but I will never go back to them now.

Reviewed on 28th August 2020
John J's avatar
John J

Legal & General have simply destroyed our home

View our experiences of Legal & General's customer care on BBC's Rip Off Britain - Series 12 episode 10 Viewable on You tube, simply search: Legal and General Ripoff Britain. No words can describe our ongoing experience.

Reviewed on 5th August 2020
Andrew Miller's avatar
Andrew Miller

Investments

stunning returns notwithstanding the epedemic

have been delighted by performance of four unit trusts in which I invested in last ten years all still going strong

Reviewed on 2nd August 2020
D MAHONEY's avatar
D MAHONEY

Stable prices

Been with them for many years so far no big hikes in premiums always competitive on price

Reviewed on 30th July 2020
C.Horton's avatar
C.Horton

Fit for purpose

They cover my requirements provde the cover i need

Reviewed on 28th July 2020
Ali Sara's avatar
Ali Sara

Pension

Makes my pension pot understandable

My work based pension feels like pretend money but L&G do a decent job of informing me how my pot is growing and performing and appear pretty darn trustworthy

Reviewed on 14th July 2020
Jenna Hegarty's avatar
Jenna Hegarty

Pension

Nice and easy

Great online self service website, easy to access and to manage your investments.

Reviewed on 14th July 2020