Halifax Home Insurance Reviews

Visit website

Halifax home insurance reviews can tell you how good this product really is. How quickly did you get the policy documents? How well did Halifax handle your home insurance claim? Our Halifax home insurance reviews can help you to find out this and much more. Have you ever had a policy with Halifax? You can tell us about it by writing your own review below.

Halifax Review Insight

Voting in the British Bank Awards 2021 is now open!VOTE NOW

Your Home Insurance Reviews

Review Halifax's Home Insurance now

Appalling service

Been with Halifax for several years, many cheaper deals around but thinking it was a good company, how wrong. Claimed on buildings insurance following water leak, they didn't cover the damage caused by our builder tracing where the leak was coming from which obviously we needed to know or how could we repair it. Absolutely disgraceful, their manner is very poor, we will never use this company again, intend to cancel all policies immediately and as landlords with many properties we have a lot of policies. Please save your money and go elsewhere, when you need to make a claim you don't need the extra upset of dealing with these rip off merchants.

Reviewed on 6th January 2021
R Shelley's avatar
R Shelley

Avoid

I have had nothing but antagonistic behaviour from start to finish.... Read more

I have had nothing but antagonistic behaviour from start to finish.
A burst water pipe and my downstairs ruined and repairs and painting half done or paint painted over dried peeling paint wood work, items damaged and no one informed me, no expection of your property at the finished date before signing off- recipe for disaster ! I will not be recommending Halifax home insurance to anyone.

Reviewed on 18th September 2020
Sarah Faye's avatar
Sarah Faye

My Halifax home insurance experience

I had a comprehensive home insurance with Halifax up until last week. I tried to claim in July for a broken computer.My first insurance claim in 11 years. So I sent in a claim which was acknowledged, two weeks later nothing heard so I rang them. They knew nothing of it. So they asked for a variety of things including an estimate for repair. They then handed the claim to an agency. They rang me a week later, obviously they didn't wish to speak to me, wanted the same and more information. They are uncontactable by phone and so hostile it's untrue!
So we are into this over a month by now. I replaced the item myself and cancelled the claim. I asked to complain. A month later someone from Halifax called to apologise. I cancelled the policy that day. It is a waste of time and money insuring with Halifax, they are useless.

Reviewed on 7th September 2020
Mick Philbin's avatar
Mick Philbin

Great Service

Been with the Halifax over 3 years very quick and easy to use their service is second to none

Reviewed on 28th July 2020
Paul Dawson's avatar
Paul Dawson

Great Value and a meaningful NCB

Have been with them for a number of years now as not only is it competitively priced but you also get £50 cashback by way of a no claims bonus every year!

Reviewed on 9th February 2020
Euan Vivash's avatar
Euan Vivash

Always change at year end

I trusted the Halifax. I insured my home and contents for around £150 a year, This increased over 3 years though to over £450 and I failed to notice as they direct debited and if I did get the renewal, I missed the h... Read more

I trusted the Halifax. I insured my home and contents for around £150 a year, This increased over 3 years though to over £450 and I failed to notice as they direct debited and if I did get the renewal, I missed the hikes.
So on their website now, you can get the same for £150 or less. Just a third the cost.
SO I queried it and their letter says they just added "reasonable "increments.

TO me, over 300% increase in 3 to 4 years is somewhere between fraud or a protection racket. With interest rates at sweet nothing %, how do they justify the massive over inflation hike.
Well is it the council building houses for newly released prisoners and they all live on my estate??? The local Insane Asylum closed and all the firestarters moved opposite in a halfway house. Or was I just getting ripped off.
Now I have to go to the Ombudsman and waste all our times to get a refund of the "reasonable" overcharge.
Beware this company. They are likely to take you to the cleaners and play loose with your money.

Reviewed on 6th June 2019
Jon's avatar
Jon

The worst of the worst

Awful company, the worst of the worst. My wife lost a 9 carat gold and diamond watch. The watch was no longer available new, only second hand. The value of this was set at £595. The policy says "new for old" however the tiny small print says when the product is no longer available they'll only pay out on the second hand value or nearest equivalent. So they have got out of paying new (where can you get a 9 carat diamond watch for £595!!) Its a minimum of £1500 for a new such watch. We've been well and truly stitched up - this will apply to lots of items - whenever these items are no longer made, they'll just offer you peanuts as second hand value not "NEW FOR OLD" at all. Beware and AVOID this company AT ALL COSTS

Reviewed on 4th April 2019
RH's avatar
RH

Excellent value & service

Easy to sign up, great value and would definitely recommend!

Reviewed on 6th September 2018
Lorna Mc Givern's avatar
Lorna Mc Givern

home insurance

been with them for many years and they have competitive prices

Reviewed on 19th August 2018
Ann Clements's avatar
Ann Clements

home Insurance

Have been with them many years and they have competitive prices

Reviewed on 19th August 2018
Ann Clements's avatar
Ann Clements

Unfair and unacceptable customer care from Halifax Home Insurance - Do not use them!

I am not usually one to write reviews on companies unless they are acceptionally good or acceptionally bad.. unfortunately this is for the... Read more

I am not usually one to write reviews on companies unless they are acceptionally good or acceptionally bad.. unfortunately this is for the latter...

If you expect to get a decent and fair settlement figure when going through a claims process do not go to Halifax for home insurance. Having lost my diamond from my engagement ring I am over 12 weeks into a dispute where they are only offering me just over half of what my ring is insured for. It is valued higher than what it’s insured for too, which makes the situation worse. They are still dragging out the process and saying they need more time. Not happy at all as all I want is a fair settlement figure for a very valuable and sentimental piece of jewellery. They are also holding my engagement ring band until the issue has been resolved. It is my property.

Customer service and communication has been very poor. I have on several occasions asked for proof of valuation stating all information in relation to the valuation they have been supplied by Goldsmith’s Jewellers, this has never arrived. I have provided proof on two occasions from a diamond merchant that it’s impossible to come up with such a low figure - they have chosen to ignore this information provided. I could go on with this review but I think this says enough in itself.

I hope people will think twice about using this insurance company.

Reviewed on 11th July 2018
Jessica Arnold's avatar
Jessica Arnold

Have paid an extortionate amount for home insurance with Halifax for many years. The first time I needed to use it was 16 January 2018 when I had a break in, and the service I have been provided with has been poor and shoddy from start to finish. Insurance are supposed to support you, not further add to your headaches and distress.

I was allocated building services from VPS following the break in. The break in happened on Monday 14 January, and the property was left vulnerable for 11 days, depriving the police the opportunity of completing forsensics in my garden.

When the fitter eventually arrived, he was rude and unprofessional and failed to bring adequate materials with him. He "fixed" the door in a extremely poor and shoddy way using a £3 wood filler which I could have bought on ebay, not even matching the colour so that anyone would know that the door had been damaged. To make matters worse, he also broke an existing bolt on the door, whilst trying to prove that it still worked, so arguably left the door in a worse position than it was.

I have no idea what I paid the £100 excess for, after such an extortionate spend on home insurance where they could not do something simple like replace a door. Even an employee at VPS said that she would not have been happy with that sort of work done on her home, and a subsequent builder commented that they cannot have spent more than 5 minutes doing what they did do.

The VPS "professional" could not even state whether his £3 wood filler was waterproof, and also stated that his work could not be guaranteed, and the rain may have already damaged this wooden door, because of their own 11 day delay

Another "professional" came to analyse the situation who was rude, incompetent and came with the attitude of trying to cover the poor workmanship. I was a woman alone in my own home and found his attitude terrifying and he came with another man and started opening my cupboards without permission to find out where I kept my outdoor keys, and insisted on coming at a time which suited him, when the home owner wasn't at home and I was on my own. I would never want anyone from VPS or Halifax entering my home again after that horrific experience.

My door had been perfect before the break in, and this incompetent idiot just made it worse and refused to replace it. and, and he left the door in a worse condition by breaking the bolts. To add insult to injury, he then asked my Mum, a vulnerable woman in her 60s, to sign a document stating that the job was complete to her satisfaction whilst obscuring the terms and conditions so that she couldn't read that bit. She is not that stupid and obviously refused to sign.

Never dreamed that Halifax and VPS would provide such a shoddy service, leaving a broken door, damaging it further and to top it off, trying to take advantaged of a widowed and retired woman

They should be ashamed of themselves and have a good think about the lack of service provided. At the very least I should have my £100 excess refunded this was incompetent from start to finish.I have paid for this "service" for 10 years and it has been a total waste of money. You should have no customers based on this kind of attitude.

Someone purported to try and resolve this for me, but made no difference and actually never returned my calls or refunded the access. Insurance being cancelled and never to be reinstated.

I have been paying nearly £75 per month for absolutely nothing. This is a rude, shoddy incompetent service that you should never use if you value your safety or want to actually work with professionals. Avoid at all costs if you actually value your safety and professionalism.

Reviewed on 12th February 2018
Shay Allie's avatar
Shay Allie

Great Cover

Great and affordable cover for house insurance, also extremely easy to sort out online

Reviewed on 11th February 2018
Natasha Huth's avatar
Natasha Huth

Over Priced Home Insurance

Charging 5 times as much as other providers

Reviewed on 10th January 2018
Linda's avatar
Linda

Good

No problems at all when applying.

Reviewed on 6th January 2018
Sara Rosa's avatar
Sara Rosa

Halifax

I have always found the Halifax to be the most helpful and customer service is always excellent.

Reviewed on 7th November 2017
Kimberly Meadows's avatar
Kimberly Meadows

Lost its dge

NIce produce but app lacks innovation and also find customer service slow and out of touch . Needs to improve !

Reviewed on 5th November 2017
Kevin's avatar
Kevin

Love the incentives for being loyal.

Quick and easy to sort out with incentives for loyalty

Reviewed on 1st October 2017
Jo Heath's avatar
Jo Heath

Comparison sites not helpful

Tried numerous comparison sites for home insurance but always check Halifax home insurance and they invariably give the best cover at the best price. Never a problem with a claim. Very helpful.

Reviewed on 11th September 2017
Josephine Hill's avatar
Josephine Hill

£50cash NCB each year

Comprehensive cover, highly competitive premiums and a yearly cash payment of £50 by way of a loyalty/NCB

Reviewed on 19th August 2017