Saga Reviews

Ratings based on 8,207 reviews       Last review 6 days ago

Saga is a British company focused on serving the needs of those aged 50 and over. It has 2.7 million customers. Smart Money People is the place for Saga reviews. Read and write reviews to help increase trust and transparency in Financial Services

Saga Review Insight

Top Age Profile: 65+

Costly to cancel

Understand that a company can charge for cancelled policies, but the hefty cancellation cost, coupled with the fact I still have another vehicle on risk with them, feels unreasonable to me. Thought I’d share this in case other drivers like me, who own cars , sometimes for short periods, don’t use Saga as, very expensive if you leave mid term..

Reviewed on 21st January 2022
Steve Charles's avatar
Steve Charles

Mis-sold policy

We took out a policy on the 26th November 2021 online and this was followed up by a Saga sales agent about 20mins later to go through everything to make sure everything was correct. During this call we requested additional options including boiler and heating cover as their Home emergency Cover. I clearly remember the call and was advised it was an extra £39.99 which we agreed to. Needless to say took out the policy on this basis. Today went to put in a claim for boiler which started leaking and they said it wasn't covered, looked through the schedule and can clearly see Home Emergency is covered however not the heating and boiler or annual boiler service as requested. After requesting a copy of the telephone call with the sales agent they tried to say that seeing as it was setup online it wasnt added which is when I mentioned one of their sales agents called up pretty much straight after setting it up which is when this was added.
In short don't use this company and if you do ensure that you record the telephone call as it is very clear that they will do anything to get out of you making a claim.
Needless to say a subject access request has gone in for access to that telephone call.

Reviewed on 6th January 2022
Andy Simpson's avatar
Andy Simpson

Canceled policy

Was on holiday abroad and payment was cancelled and not collected when I came back I found policy canceled even though I paid by card the amount owing you still canceled it leaving me with no insurance also not happy with windshield policy as I have been waiting 2 months for them to complete replacement of screen they have put 2 screens in and still the adas system not working properly my time and money to travel 40 miles each time 120 miles in total so far they may be cheep but you will pay for it in the end trust me
Signed a very disgruntled customer

Reviewed on 31st December 2021
Doug Warner's avatar
Doug Warner

Travel Insurance

wont pay when you had medical emergency

My wife had a trip to Turkey for one month and I insured her for 45 days and chose Saga as which magazine recommended them. Policy nr:337277. Durin the trip she got sever infection Shingles and went to see a doctor and received some medication and now she has a scar on her face and her back as a result of this infection. when we send the claim Saga refused to accept it saying that the cost of Dr visit and medication is below the excess. Although the exchange rate at the it means they do not pay you for after care that she needs in UK to get rid of the scars she has got if she can! and nothing for the pain and suffering !

Reviewed on 24th December 2021
sina mosharraf's avatar
sina mosharraf

Still waiting - 2 months later

I started a claim for a leak on 04/10/21. To date several people have been to our house to cost up the job but no work undertaken and the leak still exists. Pushed from pillar to post when you try and contact the people involved. Thoroughly unimpressed.

Reviewed on 9th December 2021
Andrew's avatar
Andrew

Home Insurance

quick enough taking your money but when you put a claim in they will do anything not to pay you out.

The worst company I've ever had to deal with. they take six days to answer your questions then they will do their utmost to get out of paying out for a claim.

Reviewed on 4th December 2021
carl king's avatar
carl king

Car Insurance

Don't move to a different district

I was quite happy with Saga's quote for my car insurance until I decided to move home. I informed Saga that I was moving to a different area and I wanted them to change my address on my policy. I was expecting to pay a small administration fee for this service. Silly me !! I was then informed by Saga that there would be an extra premium of over £100 pounds to pay, despite the fact that I had moved from London to a lower risk area.

Reviewed on 3rd December 2021
Shirley Newton's avatar
Shirley Newton

Home Insurance

A company that does not settle a claim

My parents in their 80’s were burgled in July. All relevant police reports a receipts we produced for evidence. Every piece of documentation from photographic evidence, police reports, original receipts and full disclosure reports were s... Read more

My parents in their 80’s were burgled in July. All relevant police reports a receipts we produced for evidence. Every piece of documentation from photographic evidence, police reports, original receipts and full disclosure reports were submitted.
The company is still stalling to make any reparations and settlement. Customer service has been appalling with us constantly chasing our claim.

This company is more than happy to take your payment, but God forbid you place a claim through your household insurance the obstacles place before you to impede payment are unimaginable. We have now been waiting over 5 months for any action to be taken. For an incident that had taken place in July there is a strong possibility this will still be unresolved before the end of 2021 !

An appalling company to make a claim from. Avoid should you need to make a claim.

Reviewed on 23rd November 2021
Rachel Pydiah's avatar
Rachel Pydiah

Home Insurance

Extremely poor and unsatisfactory claims process, which they "outsource" to other insurers and then do nothing to help to resolve

Absolutely rubbish at resolving a simple water pipe leak.... Read more

Absolutely rubbish at resolving a simple water pipe leak.

And all those people who say the process of insuring with Saga is simple - why yes it is!

But wait until you have a claim that gets messed up by their insurance partners.and they absolve responsibility..... 5th September to 17th November seems an awful long time to fix one internal water pipe leak! And given now that the inaction has destroyed most of the fitted bedrooms furniture (valued at £39k), the whole hall, one shower room, the family bathroom, the kitchen and utility room (another £29k) and we have been moved out since the end of September and are looking at at least another 6 months!!! I would not wish that on anyone, let alone two pensioners with chronic health conditions the impacts of which have been reported to all insurers involved from day 1! As of 22nd December 11am, still no satisfactory resolutions.

Reviewed on 22nd November 2021
Ian Munro's avatar
Ian Munro

Avoid like the plague.

At the time ( about four years ago ), I insured my car with Saga because they were the cheapest of the many quotes I'd checked out. You get what you pay... Read more

At the time ( about four years ago ), I insured my car with Saga because they were the cheapest of the many quotes I'd checked out. You get what you pay for.
In a subsequent accident, our car was deemed to be a write-off, primarily because the repair estimate included a number of items that were completely extraneous to the actual accident damage. After protracted negotiation, they agreed to have the car repaired, only for their appointed garage to do more damage in the course of carrying out the repair. When I had occasion to speak to them on the phone, it frequently seemed one hand never knew what the other was doing. When they ( eventually ) supplied copies of the estimates from the garage, the two estimates did not make sense with each other - a fact which they were never willing or able to explain. A lengthy complaints process resulted in a paltry payout of £200 in compensation for the appalling customer service I'd received up to that point; an additional £200 was offered when I threatened to take them either to the Ombudsman or to court. I took them to the Ombudsman, who ( surprise surprise ) sided with the insurance company, and the offer of an additional £200 compensation was upheld. Despite the decision of the Ombudsman, it was another six weeks before I finally received that cheque. I can tell you that the £400 total compensation was but a fraction of what would have been justified by the amount of time spent on e-mails, phone calls and letters, not to mention the damage done by their own appointed repairers.
If you insure your car with Saga, be prepared to end up dealing with the Ombudsman, and be prepared for the fact that that process alone will take anywhere up to a total of two years over and above the original complaint process. Be aware also that the Ombudsman will almost always side with the insurer, and regardless of this, they have no actual power to enforce their decisions in any case.
On your own head be it.

Reviewed on 8th November 2021
Mark Dellow's avatar
Mark Dellow

Excellent Company

Great company, excellent customer service, nothing is too much trouble, and great cover levels with price protected options for a more secure future.

Reviewed on 21st October 2021
becky littlechild's avatar
becky littlechild

Car Insurance

Very knowledgable staff with reasonably priced policies

Staff are always so friendly and knowledgable. Policies are very reasonably priced.

Reviewed on 12th October 2021
B Kelly's avatar
B Kelly

Efficient & friendly service

Great company great service when needed to claim

Reviewed on 12th October 2021
sarah's avatar
sarah

Excellent cover

The policy is very comprehensive and the offer of three years at a fixed price makes it good value for money. The service received on the telephone is always courteous and helpful. Fortunately, however, I have not yet had to put it to the real test of making a claim.

Christopher Carter's avatar
Christopher Carter

Car Insurance

Why not insure with the Best

Excessively pleasant and efficient Staff and very competitive pricing. Why would you not insure with a Company that always go’s the extra mile to keep you happy.

Alison Matthews's avatar
Alison Matthews

Simply the best.

The only company to tailor your policy to your specific requirements and budget, offer class leading service and offer a 3 year price promise.

William Govan's avatar
William Govan

Reliable company

Always found them to be extremely helpful when giving advice on any aspect of insurance. I have always found them to be professional.

Malcolm Dudman's avatar
Malcolm Dudman

Car Insurance

Up front information. Straightforward.

So easy to get a three year deal.

John Moggan's avatar
John Moggan

Travel Insurance

Review of Travel Insurance

Easy to set up. Not going on holiday until Monday so hope I don’t have to use

Ali's avatar
Ali

Car Insurance

Confident and professional when you need it

Nobody wants Insurance - right up to the time you NEED it. In my case excellent handling from start (0300hrs) to a prompt resolution. I have no hesitation in recommending SAGA motor insurance. Friendly and professional throughout.

Iain Girling's avatar