Scottish Building Society Mortgages Reviews

Ratings based on 36 reviews       Last review 2 hours ago
  Visit website

Scottish Building Society mortgage reviews can help you to find out what other Smart Money People have to say about what could be your biggest ever financial purchase. Smart Money People was established in 2014 to help provide an independent source of Scottish Building Society mortgage reviews. You write your mortgage reviews here to help other people find the best mortgage providers. Together, we can make financial services work better for everyone.

Scottish Building Society Review Insight

Reviewed on 29th November 2021
SBS Member Feedback's avatar
SBS Member Feedback

Excellent personalised service

We were first attracted to SBS by the fact that it is a mutual organisation, owned and run for the benefit of its members. Unlike many other financial institutions is not primarily motivated by maximising profit and has a strong ethical... Read more

We were first attracted to SBS by the fact that it is a mutual organisation, owned and run for the benefit of its members. Unlike many other financial institutions is not primarily motivated by maximising profit and has a strong ethical commitment.

What we didn’t expect, when we first became SBS members, was an incredible personalised service from dedicated professionals.

The fact that we can talk to the same person about an issue rather than have to go through a call centre has been invaluable. Advice has always been provided clearly, in a timely and pleasant manner.

The level of service provided is second to none, particularly during Covid which must have challenging. The high level of service was maintained and the reassurance and expertise provided was invaluable.

Reviewed on 16th November 2021
Kirsty R's avatar
Kirsty R

Website is outdated

Called and wasted my time completely to find out that they haven’t update their website, so that I now won’t qualify despite prior it appearing that I would.

Reviewed on 3rd November 2021
Jenna's avatar
Jenna

Peter McSherry was great.

We applied for additional borrowing against our existing mortgage with SBS and Peter McSherry was spot on from the beginning with what was a bit of a complex application for us. His advice and explanations definitely show his experience. Thank you!!

Reviewed on 16th September 2021
Blair Aitchison's avatar
Blair Aitchison

Very understandable procedure

The staff is very professional and consistent, they will lead you through the whole process and ask understandable questions. Managers let you time and possibility to fulfill papers/ answers needed. The package of documents you receive is very simple and thorough.

Reviewed on 24th July 2021
Alex's avatar
Alex

Intermediary viewpoint

SBS, when I have used them, have always been brilliant. The BDM is always on hand to run things by as they are more bespoke than most high street lenders. Their products have definitely improved over the last few years and the service I get from the whole team, including being able to talk to the underwriter, is second to none.

Reviewed on 20th May 2021
Claire Walsh's avatar
Claire Walsh

Easy to deal with

I took out a self-build mortgage and was delighted at how simple the process was. Being able to deal face to face with a member of staff is a very big bonus and the aftercare was excellent. As a result I have remained with SBS since completing the build, converting to their standard variable rate mortgage product.

Reviewed on 4th May 2021
Alan's avatar
Alan

Thorough, efficient, trustworthy

Reviewed on 1st May 2021

Delighted customer of 12years

We’ve been happy mortgage customers for 12 years. A choice of excellent, fair products. Great communication. Helpful & professional staff. Would recommend without hesitation.

Reviewed on 29th April 2021
Judy's avatar
Judy

Edinburgh branch review

Local branch with friendly staff, nothing is too much trouble

Reviewed on 15th April 2021
Edinburgh branch customer's avatar
Edinburgh branch customer

Galashiels branch review

Keep promised call backs, respond to requests for updates, request all needed info at once

Reviewed on 8th April 2021
Galashiels branch customer's avatar
Galashiels branch customer

Mortgage

Always goes extra mile to help you

Reviewed on 9th March 2021
Broker Feedback's avatar
Broker Feedback

Peter McSherry

I bought a house back in September 2020. This is all thanks to Peter at the Edinburgh office. He provided the best customer service I have ever experienced. Peter worked so hard to make this process as straight forward and easy as possible despite some issues that arose on our behalf. He couldn’t have been any more professional, clear and friendly and I’m so grateful that when I picked up the phone one day to enquire it was him that answered. He is to thank for our amazing first home and we appreciate all of his hard work so much. I highly recommend him to anyone. Thank you so much Peter. Melissa Cummings

Reviewed on 10th February 2021
melissacummings15@gmail.com's avatar
melissacummings15@gmail.com

Mortgage review

SBS is great in customer service: our mortgage went of without a hitch!

Reviewed on 13th December 2020

Mortgage review

Very polite staff - fast, efficient working

Reviewed on 11th December 2020

Mortgage review

Very friendly and approachable. They dealt with my application very promptly.

Reviewed on 4th December 2020
Mortgage customer

Harsh criteria for first time buyers

I’m a first time buyer and was hopeful of meeting the criteria for a 90% LTV mortgage. As part of the criteria you must have a specific job and/ or specific qualifications. ... Read more

One of the specific professions is a practising accountant on the ICAS register. This building society has failed to recognise that there are many different strands of accountancy as well as accountancy qualifications. Not all accountants choose to study ICAS. Some choose to study ACCA, CIMA, CTA or ICAEW. Because I chose to study CTA (instead of ICAS) I have been penalised and I’m ineligible for the 90% LTV mortgage. Because of discriminatory criteria first time buyers do struggle to get on to the property ladder. I strongly suggest that this building society revisits their policy.

Reviewed on 9th November 2020
Nadia's avatar
Nadia

Reply from Scottish Building Society

Hi Nadida. We are sorry we weren't able to progress your application for a 90% LTV mortgage. Our Professional Mortgages are available to individuals regsitered with a number of governing bodies. In addition to ICAS we also consider applications from accountants registered with ACCA, CIMA and CIPFA.

Mortgage review

I like how easy SBS were to sort out my mortgage and how quick the process took.

Reviewed on 12th October 2020

Mortgage review

Peter McSherry's service has been second to none throughout. He has kept us at ease through the full process and has been so helpful and knowledgeable.

Reviewed on 28th September 2020

Mortgage

I am a first-time buyer that was looking for a mortgage to be arranged during the current COVID pandemic and subsequent lockdowns. I found my adviser, Peter McSherry, to be informative and very efficient. Peter was aware of our tight deadline and kept us updated and reassured us. Excellent service and would recommend to anyone looking for good customer service and a smooth application process.

Reviewed on 24th September 2020