Virgin Money Essential Current Account Reviews

Ratings based on 7 reviews Last review 4 weeks ago

The Virgin Money Essential Current Account is a basic bank account designed to help you keep on top of your money. It has no overdraft, so no overdraft fees to worry about, and no charges for unpaid Direct Debits or standing orders, making it free for everyday use. Manage the account through Virgin Money Stores and at any Post Office, and limited Online Services.

Brought to you by Virgin Money.

Our Smart Money People 360° Rating

NOT RATED
Combines our customer review data set with wider market analysis. Find out more here.

Your Essential Current Account Reviews (7)

17th September 2017

Shocking effort on their online banking facility

I switched to the Essential Account earlier this year. No complaints about the customer service but the online banking facility is so dated. I cannot set up any standing orders or even perform a basic one off money transfer, family and friends have also had difficulty in paying money in with a £25 charge to use faster payment?? Having been used to my previous banks online banking app on which I could do absolutley anything and everything and even make payments to my phone contacts instantly I am now desperate to move my account, I don't have the time nor inclination to keep going into the branch in my work lunch hour to do the most basic of transactions. Additionally on a number of occasions my request to withdraw cash at an ATM has been declined for no apparent reason, leaving me without cash and concerned about what has happened to my account balance only to check later and find out there is plenty of money available?! I even had this happen in a garage with contactless, so we tried the pin entry method but no it was declined so I ran outside to the ATM to check balance and had to withdraw the cash as the account had more than enough in balance...this is absolutely inconvenient and quite embarrassing!!!!

Reply from Virgin Money
Thanks for your feedback Stacey! We'll be sure to pass this onto the relevant teams for you. Just drop us another message if you have any further questions! Thanks, Jane
19th July 2017

Some interest is better than none

a current account paying 0.65% is a bit better than a whole load of accounts out there that rely on people's reluctance to change

Reply from Virgin Money
Thanks for getting in touch John, happy to hear your feedback! You know where we are if you need help with anything. Thanks, Jane