Virgin Money Reviews

Ratings based on 1,137 reviews       Last review 5 days ago

Virgin Money reviews can help you to find out more about this bank founded by Richard Branson back in 1995. So if you're looking to find out what's great, what's ok, and what could be better, be it about the products, service or channels on offer, our Virgin Money reviews are here to help! Smart Money People is your place for Virgin Money reviews.

Virgin Money Review Insight

Travel Insurance

In my 40 years of banking Virgin Money sets a new low!

I’ll keep this simple. Open an account at your own peril. Read reviews and the media .. be warned .. this has to be the worst bank in the UK!

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
Martin's avatar
Martin

Travel Insurance

Won't pay out for cancellations

In an 8 month battle for a travel insurance claim that was for a holiday cancelled at the end of March when the world was in a lockdown. Was asked for proof we didn't travel (even though the world was locked down) we ask you for different things every time despite them being sent to delay the pay out. Won't issue a refund if you were offered a voucher which terms and conditions don't state. Contacted citizens advice bureau who have informed me we are entitled to a refund from the travel insurance company. They hope people will give up if they're awkward I'm sure. Had to ask for their complaints department four times and got ignored though they replied to other aspects of emails.

Reviewed on 20th January 2021
Mia's avatar
Mia

Mortgages

Mortgage - Extremely poor online service / tool

Very limited online tool they have for their clients. It is very basic tool with no monthly breakdowns, no confirmation of over payments visible, no mobile app to be able to use etc. We did not have any issue with the mortgage as such but the online tool should be much more advances especially having most people working from home these days and phone lines being so busy (really hard get through customer service these days).

Reviewed on 9th December 2020
Clarisse 's avatar
Clarisse

Credit Cards

Just Awful

My experience with Virgin Money has been nothing but extremely... Read more

My experience with Virgin Money has been nothing but extremely bad.
I have a Virgin Atlantic Credit Card which had a reasonable amount of money refunded to it from various companies.
I tried many many times to contact Virgin Money in order to have MY money refunded to my bank account, but each time I tried to contact them I was fobbed off in fact the last time I telephoned them a lady answered the phone a gave me a number of reasons why she COULD NOT speak to me, after I complained (wasting more time ) she agreed to speak to me....she then told me I failed the security questions....I asked to speak to someone else and was told I had to telephone back.. I was furious that I had to hang up and telephone Virgin AGAIN only to get the same lady.....who then transfered me to someone else AMAZING.
I will cancel my Virgin Credit card and I would urge anyone who is thinking about a Virgin Credit Card is to go somewhere else or you could regret it.
I only took out a Virgin Credit Card to collect Virgin Atlantic points who are also awful ( cancelled flights with no refund for 4 months when British Airways refunded in 7 days ) I have since taken out a BA credit card which is much much better.

Reviewed on 23rd November 2020
Barry's avatar
Barry

Travel Insurance

Dont waste your money for travel insurance

I had travel insurance, my suitcase stolen in Barcelona did everything right, they want to wash their hand asking receipt of every single item. What?

Reviewed on 12th November 2020
Unver's avatar
Unver

Do not waste your money

Avoid at all costs. I had to cancel my holiday because of the first covid lockdown. The holiday was booked before anyone was even aware of Covid. My family who used different insurance providers were refunded within a month. It has been 7 months and there is still no progress. They just send a standard email every 40 days to say how it is being processed - with nothing actually happening. And yet they managed to find the time to process my renewal. It is criminal in my opinion that they are able to take money for a service they are clearly not providing.

Reviewed on 3rd November 2020
Stephen Worthington's avatar
Stephen Worthington

Shocking service

Hours of phone calls, lies, passing the buck, false promises to 'expediate' my claim and 'get a manager to phone within 5 days' and never ending excuses! No-one ever phoned (despite being told on 4 occasions they would). They never reply to emails. I ended up forwarding my complaints to the financial ombudsman. Depite saying they covered for cancellations due to covid restrictions Virgin Travel Insurance have now sent me 1/4 of what I should be entitled to and even that has taken 6 months! Shocking service I would not recommend to anyone. My view - steer clear.

Reviewed on 27th October 2020
Linda's avatar
Linda

Waste of my time

Opened a current account because of the decent interest rate. The online application page showed an error and it was the weekend, so no way to call and check what had happened, so decided just to wait a few days. No email confirmation was received. Some days later, received a letter through the post, so "Ok then it worked". Finally had all the info through and tried to get online again to transfer some money in, etc - but the online banking website is VERY unintuitive. Took me going around in circles many times to get logged in, then repeatedly showing the same popups about paperless preferences even though I had sent those, sending you to pages on different domains, opening help pages where the links to perform certain functions don't work, etc. Then spoke to online chat and there appeared to be bugs with that also, so all in all - none of it infused faith in Virgin Money and would just result in me being frustrated, so I have decided to close my new accounts and bank elsewhere.

Reviewed on 26th October 2020
SL's avatar
SL

Never pay out

They never pay out, i have a straight forward claim, i was stranded in Tenerife 5 Months, every time they want more info its 45 day for a reply, that will be 7 Months and no sign of the money i paid out, while stranded. Do not us them.

Reviewed on 24th October 2020
Tony's avatar
Tony

Travel Insurance

Well at least I learned who not to use in the future

My wife and I took out an annual travel insurance policy with them. They then introduced a coronavirus exemption. No option to adjust policy, leaving us with no other option to take out insurance with another provider. Getting a refund was so difficult it was as though they were doing it deliberately to put us off. No email option and long waits to get through on the telephone with promises to call back which never happened. To round it all off they sent us an email to say that coronavirus cover was reinstalled after we had taken out the policy with an alternate policy. In the end we were only able to get a partial refund on a policy we were never able to use. My impression is that as a company they just don’t care once they have your money. My only comfort is the knowledge that I am not having to rely on them paying out if I needed to make a claim. From my experience I would expect them to make it as difficult and time consuming as possible and they would do everything they could do to avoid paying. There are much better companies out there.

Reviewed on 1st October 2020
Richard Welsh's avatar
Richard Welsh

Travel Insurance

Just don't take out Travel insurance with Virgin Money, save yourself the hassle. Appalling to deal with and won't pay out.

Unprofessional, uncaring, evasive and completely insincere in everything they do.

Reviewed on 30th September 2020
Rick's avatar
Rick

Mortgages

90 LTV Mortgage during Sept 2020

In a world of little to no high LTV mortgages, Virgin provided a good rate, few restrictions when buying a house and a speedy/professional service. I particular like the process of vetting you during AIP with one full credit check which then speeds up the main mortgage application. Forms submitted, clear requirements of what I needed to provide with an full approval 2 weeks later

Reviewed on 30th September 2020
JPS's avatar
JPS

Fixed Rate Savings

Terrible service

My account was frozen unnecessarily and after submitting the required documentation to remove the restrictions it still took many phonecalls to get any sense out of... Read more

My account was frozen unnecessarily and after submitting the required documentation to remove the restrictions it still took many phonecalls to get any sense out of anyone.

Spineless management would not speak to me, it took someone monitoring Trustpilot reviews to sort my problem after 3 weeks of constant frustration.

Closed my account now & would recommend to put your savings elsewhere

Reviewed on 28th September 2020
BB3's avatar
BB3

Travel Insurance

Most appalling company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with

This company are very quick and happy to take your money but find every excuse not to pay out for a claim. My travel insurance claim has been "looked at" by so many different people it's unreal. They promise to get back to me and then ask for more information. They are now asking for the same information, months later. If everyone stopped looking and actually did some work I'm sure the claim could be resolved but I think it's all stalling tactics.
Dreadful company to contact and deal with. They just don't want to know.

Reviewed on 24th September 2020
Bob's avatar
Bob

Virgin Travel Insurance don't ever pay out

Ridiculous amount of information required and find every excuse not to pay out. Never pay out.

Reviewed on 23rd September 2020
Andy's avatar
Andy

Travel Insurance

The worst travel insurance ever!!!

Since April I have tried to get this company to review my travel claim. I have been fobbed off with numerous promises on timescales of when a claims advisor would respond to my claim. Numerous excuses why they haven't responded. I have complained and still not had anyone actually look at my claim and no decision as yet. I have now made a complaint to the financial ombudsman. Avoid at all cost!!

Reviewed on 17th September 2020
Lynne Harper's avatar
Lynne Harper

Horrendous

For 6 months now, Virgin has constantly misled me with false information, false hopes, false timeframes and frankly, nonexistent customer service. I was told in April that it would take 30 working days to resolve my case (submitted in March).... Read more

It's now been 117 working days since I submitted my claim.

1 month ago Virgin promised to escalate my case to a Temp 5, supposedly marking it as urgent. I was assured the case would be resolved in 20 working days or sooner.

Nope.

Phoned today to chase and spoke to a member of staff. She put me on hold to file a complaint for me. I waited 10 minutes and the line 'cut out'. I miraculously managed to get through to another advisor within 5 minutes, asked to be put through to the previous advisor...

only to be told SHE WAS ON HER LUNCH BREAK.

What.the.actual...?

Needless to say... Dealing with Virgin has been utterly painful, stressful and exasperating the whole time. I've already been in contact with the Ombudsman and will be pursuing further action.

Unacceptable is the politest way I can put it.

Meanwhile, Virgin are proudly showing off their fancy new website... How much did that cost?

Reviewed on 15th September 2020
Lizzie Heather's avatar
Lizzie Heather

Fixed Rate Savings

good web application

Easy to use the online facilities

Reviewed on 13th September 2020
A Martin's avatar
A Martin

Essential Current Account

They violate your data without consent

On the 28th may i applied for virgin money current account based on reccomendation from a friend. On the 29th may around 12pm i received a email to say my account has been opened then followed by another email at 14:00hrs saying they can’t offer the account as i did not meet their credit scoring criteria. I accepted their decision and moved on and did not think anything else would be done and stayed with my current bank barclays. This was just the start of their abuse only if i knew before!!!

On the 15th june i applied for mortgage through halifax which was accepted, around 20th june i recived call from my broker to say halifax have picked up internal CIFAS marker on my name for application fraud and they are not willing to offer the mortgage but i should contact CIFAS and request SAR. To my shock i didn’t know what cifas was and why there was fraud marker in my name! So on the 22nd june i made SAR request with CIFAS, around 26th June i received report back from them and to my disbelief and utter shock i found virgin money trading under clydesdale bank put application fraud for the current account i applied. The reason for this was due to previous adverse credit on my previous addresses. To my disgust i contacted them immediately and was told by someone in yorkshire bank department that they did not put that because it’s not on my credit file, However i explained i have the SAR report from CIFAS in front of me and i am happy to provide them. The lady on the phone told me someone from virgin will ring me to discuss further, which sadly never happened!

After 6 weeks of waiting i rang virgin money on the 13th August (last week) and spoke to adviser called Stephen O’donnell he quickly advised he will speak to underwriting team and get back to me while on hold, After 5 minutes of waiting he got back saying, “sorry our underwriting team are not willing to remove the marker and are unable to provide you with more information, You are happy to log a complaint” So i went ahead and logged an complaint under referance C-11007660 with a lady and she advised she has escalated my complaint and should hear back within 4 working days.

On the 18th august i received notification from Experian credit agency that 5 new searches have been carried out in my name. To my shock i quickly checked my credit file and found virgin money under clydesdale bank did 3 enquiry hard searches and 2 unregistered searches. I was shocked again and angry as to why? as i haven’t applied for anything with them or ever want a thing from them.

Today 20th August i rang again and spoke to complaint handler name Tamy and explained the whole situation and how they have violated my privacy. I told her i didn’t give my consent for credit search so why they carried out 5 searches on my name? i am not getting any account with them simply logged complaint so wanted clarification. She quickly told me she has no idea and can’t see anything on the system. She advised she will have it escalated again. At that point i was soo angry i told her i wanted call back within 24 hours and explained why they abused my data without consent?!!

I also explained this is what i am about to do, Not only going to financial ombudsmen which can take 56 days, i’ll be applying to county court direct for their violation of my data and privacy without consent. I have all the relevant proof of searches they did without consent and CIFAS report. I will not be played around and abused for applying for current account!

i feel they see myself as some sort of criminal fraudstar and not an genuine customer. I wish i never bothered applying with virgin money anything, in my 18 years of credit life i never had anyone putting CFAS marker on my name for current account, That is what makes me laugh! If it was for loan or credit card it’s understandable.

I would not reccomend anyone or wish on anyone to go through stress and anxiety as i am going through. So please avoid them!

Reviewed on 20th August 2020
Ridzuan Ali 's avatar
Ridzuan Ali

Worst bank ever

I switched from Natwest and wish I hadn't. I have made 7 phone calls over 3 days to transfer money to an existing payee . I have been promised on several occasions this will happen within hours. It never does. I have never experienced such shoddy service. This bank won't remain business if it continues like this. Avoid like the plague - there are plenty of other, better banks

Reviewed on 13th August 2020