Virgin Money Reviews

Ratings based on 1,154 reviews       Last review 2 weeks ago

Virgin Money reviews can help you to find out more about this bank founded by Richard Branson back in 1995. So if you're looking to find out what's great, what's ok, and what could be better, be it about the products, service or channels on offer, our Virgin Money reviews are here to help! Smart Money People is your place for Virgin Money reviews.

Virgin Money Review Insight

Access Savings

Not as good since CYBG Take over

They must have had the longest bank take over and merger in history! Even when calling the new Virgin Money they would answer Yorkshire Bank! They couldn’t see each other’s banking systems for over a year! Customer Service is nit as good and they got rid of the Manchester VM Lounge. Only decent thing is interest rate on their M account. Don’t make it easy to apply for other account even when you bank with them! I had intended to open an ISA but gave up in the end as they didn’t seem bothered. .. Ashton under Lyne Branch told me to apply online ..even though they could have done it in branch but couldn’t be bothered. The Original Virgin Money valued their customers! The new re-branded CYBG Virgin Money is very disappointing.

Reviewed on 17th April 2021
John Irwin's avatar
John Irwin

Credit Cards

Indifferent service arranged to suit Virgin rather than it's customers.

Dealing with Virgin fells as if it's all too much trouble for them and it's certainly too much trouble for me.... Read more

Doing it yourself as a very small provider is clearly not effective.
Use the app or receive third class service seems to be the Mantra. Latest change is to use Corona Virus as excuse to answer phones 10am to 2pm even when fraud suspected.
Card not used much now and when used only due to supplier not taking Amex BA or Swiss Miles & More.
Might I suggest the Virgin management check the 24 hour effective pleasant service provided by Amex.

Reviewed on 16th April 2021
John's avatar
John

Current Account

Website is great as it works along side the app, the security side seems really good as it uses a combination of both app and website. It was really easy to apply for the product

Reviewed on 11th April 2021
Lisa B's avatar
Lisa B

Strong Offer in a Competitive Market

I needed to get my monthly credit card payments under control and I found Virgin Money's 0% Interest offer one of the best value for money offerings available, the whole process was simple and I am very happy with their services.

Reviewed on 8th April 2021
Richard's avatar
Richard

Mortgages

Ok

Ok to deal with and friendly and supportive

Reviewed on 20th March 2021
Sajjad Shah's avatar
Sajjad Shah

Essential Current Account

On line help useless. told to phone and still waiting for answer an hour later

Really poor. On-line help cant answer the question and telephones not being answered,

Reviewed on 19th March 2021
jill 's avatar
jill

Poor customer service

I have a credit card with Virgin and had set up a Direct Debit to pay the Minimum payment each month which have never been missed. I chose this this card as it had 0% and had transferred a balance from another card and have made no further purchases or transactions. Just before Christmas they sent me an email informing me that as I was only paying the minimum each month they would have to reduce my credit limit as they felt I couldn't control my debt and was a bad credit risk I was a little shocked at this as like I said I have never added anything except the initial balance transfer. Worried that this might be affecting my credit score I increased my payments only to receive another email a few days later saying they had increased my balance back up.

Reviewed on 19th March 2021
Kerry's avatar
Kerry

Regular Savings

Good rates but confusing it systems

Generally not much to complain about but the may different log in systems for different products are confusing

Reviewed on 15th March 2021
Pete's avatar
Pete

App has improved

Their app has improved and I can now control more than one credit card from the app, however, they have removed the option to manage credit card accounts from their website and I have had issues when contacting them via telephone, with problems left... Read more

Their app has improved and I can now control more than one credit card from the app, however, they have removed the option to manage credit card accounts from their website and I have had issues when contacting them via telephone, with problems left unresolved.

Reviewed on 1st March 2021
Kevin's avatar
Kevin

Cash ISA

Lack of app

Decent rate. The the lack of an app and the complexity to logging in makes the account very inconvenient to use. No idea why they have not addressed this by 2021!!

Reviewed on 27th February 2021
Sam's avatar
Sam

App Only

You can now only manage your credit card on their pathetic app as opposed to being able to do it on a website on your computer. A quite ridiculous decision in this day and age. The app is very poor, takes 10 times longer to use, and often crashes. There is literally no option to use on a computer any more. Crazy.

Reviewed on 26th February 2021
Greg Williams's avatar
Greg Williams

Essential Current Account

Very confusing account opening incentive

I watched the Martin Lewis Money Show where it was explained that if I switched to a Virgin current account I would receive a opening account incentive of 15 bottles of wine I searched the internet and found a application link for this offer and followed it through and my account switch was confirmed /accepted. However after 4 weeks with my Virgin account operatingi had not received the wine incentive so I chased it up and was told that I would be sent a voucher for the wine in due course. A few weeks later I chased it up again and was told that I had been set up with a different accout to the one with the opening incentive. I made a formal complaint and was informed yesterday that my complaint was rejected but I would receive£25 compensation for being mis informed when I originally chased this up. I have lost confidence and started to remove my funds and transfer my direct debits etc to another bank

Reviewed on 25th February 2021
Jon Blacklock's avatar
Jon Blacklock

Account blocked

My account has been locked for 7 days!! On Friday afternoon, after trying to make a substantial transfer to buy a car, I was told to call the bank. They were unable to verify my ID over the phone, so I was told to take ID to a branch. I asked which branch is the nearest, they couldn't inform. Banks close at 2pm. So on Monday morning I visited the nearest Virgin money branch and I was told that they cannot help, I need to go to another branch Enfield or Kensington, miles away by public transport, during this pandemic, I'm over 50 with asthma. So I called them again, 6th time, every time it's 20 minutes or more waiting, I told them I don't need to make the transfer anyway, already lost my car! And I asked if I could send my ID by email, so advisor gave me the link to upload my passport, document submitted successfully 3 days ago but my account is still locked!!

Reviewed on 24th February 2021
Mark's avatar
Mark

Credit Cards

App is pants, separate logins online and app

Having separate logins for website and app was weird, thankfully they have removed their website - however it appears some of the functionality has not been added to the app (e.g. updating address) from the website.

Reviewed on 18th February 2021
James's avatar
James

When its hot.....

Virgin offer some of the best products on the market, but not all the time, if you r lucky enough to look at the right time theres no doubt you'll be better for it

Reviewed on 17th February 2021
Robert Ryan's avatar
Robert Ryan

Atrocious - I just don't have words

Someone at Virgin Money decided to turn the credit card management website off which is how I have always managed my card. (whoever made this decision should be removed from their position for incompetence - whoever heard of a bank in the 21st Century without online banking/card management via a website?).

I rang to see how I could get access and to ask for my card details as I can't find the card (no card - no app access). They can't be provided over the phone and it will be 7-10 days for a new card.

I asked the question 'how do I manage my account if I don't have a smart phone?' I was told you have to ring which means sitting on hold for ages - there is no other option.

I was asked to go through extended security to order a new card - part of the security questions involved answering questions specific to the account which I don't have access to so I failed security and have been told I can't order a new card! I was transferred to a different department, (had to sit on hold for 15-20 minutes to try and go through security again), which I failed again because I was asked questions specific to the account (again). The account is now locked and I can't access it without sending (via Royal Mail - there isn't even an email option)photographic ID to ID myself (I've allowed my passport to expire as I don't see the point in renewing at the minute due to Covid), the options for ID are limited and strangely I don't have a firearms certificate. So its now effectively impossible for me to access my account.

I asked if I could close the account and was told 'no - account is locked', if you don't have the photographic ID it will have to go through a complaints procedure that takes up to 8 weeks (even then there is no guarantee the account can be accessed)

I've never heard of anything quite so ridiculous......

I also requested all of my information that Virgin Money holds on me under the data protection act (a subject access request) and the request was denied on the grounds that the account is locked - they said I can't verify who I am (my understanding is they are not allowed to do this). I pointed out the account lock is irrelevant, I'm asking for the information to be sent to my home address which is registered against my account.

Reviewed on 1st February 2021
Nathan's avatar
Nathan

Shocking

The poor reviews are entirely accurate. Read them. I wish I had. Better to keep your cash under the bed

Reviewed on 29th January 2021
MJ's avatar
MJ

Travel Insurance

In my 40 years of banking Virgin Money sets a new low!

I’ll keep this simple. Open an account at your own peril. Read reviews and the media .. be warned .. this has to be the worst bank in the UK!

Reviewed on 21st January 2021
Martin's avatar
Martin

Travel Insurance

Won't pay out for cancellations

In an 8 month battle for a travel insurance claim that was for a holiday cancelled at the end of March when the world was in a lockdown. Was asked for proof we didn't travel (even though the world was locked down) we ask you for different things every time despite them being sent to delay the pay out. Won't issue a refund if you were offered a voucher which terms and conditions don't state. Contacted citizens advice bureau who have informed me we are entitled to a refund from the travel insurance company. They hope people will give up if they're awkward I'm sure. Had to ask for their complaints department four times and got ignored though they replied to other aspects of emails.

Reviewed on 20th January 2021
Mia's avatar
Mia

Mortgages

Mortgage - Extremely poor online service / tool

Very limited online tool they have for their clients. It is very basic tool with no monthly breakdowns, no confirmation of over payments visible, no mobile app to be able to use etc. We did not have any issue with the mortgage as such but the online tool should be much more advances especially having most people working from home these days and phone lines being so busy (really hard get through customer service these days).

Reviewed on 9th December 2020