Hinckley & Rugby Building Society Mortgages Reviews

Ratings based on 93 reviews       Last review 2 days ago
  Visit website

Hinckley & Rugby Building Society mortgage reviews can help you to find out what other Smart Money People have to say about what could be your biggest ever financial purchase. Smart Money People was established in 2014 to help provide an independent source of Hinckley & Rugby Building Society mortgage reviews. You write your mortgage reviews here to help other people find the best mortgage providers. Together, we can make financial services work better for everyone.

Hinckley & Rugby Building Society Review Insight

Top Age Profile: N/A

Top Channel Preference: N/A

Your Mortgages Reviews

Review Hinckley & Rugby Building Society's Mortgages now

Mortgage

Great products and and excellent service

Reviewed on 2nd December 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Thank you for your wonderful review. Our mortgage team are always on hand to offer assistance and will be thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience.

Fantastic service

Great all round experience. Easy to understand, fantastic communication from start to finish.

Reviewed on 30th November 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Thank you for your lovely feedback. Our mortgage team are constantly striving to ensure they provide the highest level of service to our customers and will be delighted to know how happy you are with the service you received.

really good building society just like they used to be

brilliant team they was really helpful and who ever we spoke to they was always able to assist and listen and we got the required result

Reviewed on 25th November 2021
sue allen's avatar
sue allen

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Why did our mortgage application take so long?

We applied for a joint borrower / sole proprietor mortgage via a broker, John Charcol. (John Charcol's performance was also disappointing.) Our initial application was rejected; the property was not considered to be suitable security for a mortgage because of an EWS1 certificate problem. When we found another property, the re-application process took so long that we were at risk of the seller withdrawing. It took about 14 weeks to receive our mortgage offer, of which 7-8 seemed like unnecessary delay. A couple of weeks' delay were attributable to John Charcol, who failed to forward documents to Hinckley & Rugby. We had to wait two weeks for a property valuation - perhaps understandable - but the underwriting process then seemed to start from scratch, in spite of our initial application, and took several weeks to complete: so long that we had to keep re-submitting latest payslips and bank statements. Why can't financial underwriting take place in parallel with, or even ahead of, property valuation, to save time? An agreement in principle to lend, when a suitable property is found, could be provided. Following underwriting, we then had a tense and protracted wait to receive the mortgage offer. Finally, there were problems providing the offer documentation electronically to our solicitor.

Reviewed on 17th November 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

We are very sorry to hear of your frustration. We will be in touch with you shortly and hope that we will be able to provide more context around the processing of your application and respond to your questions.

Remortgage - switch to fix

The process was completed with relative ease following my initial request for information via the website.

Reviewed on 15th November 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Thank you for your lovely feedback. The efficiency of our service is a key priority for us and we’re delighted that you were happy with the service you received.

Mortgage switch to fixed rate

Switched my mortgage to a fixe rate the whole process took less than 3 weeks

Reviewed on 15th November 2021

Mortgage renewal

Good efficient process. Very helpful

Reviewed on 3rd November 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Decades of first class service.

We have been with H&R for over 20 years and are very pleased with the service we have received throughout. Would definitely recommend, old fashioned personal service beats the new call centres!

Reviewed on 2nd November 2021
Stephen Green's avatar
Stephen Green

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Excellent lenders that provide due diligence with a personal touch

The lending experience was really straightforward. The original provision of evidence for the initial loan was quite difficult but that is true of all mortgages. Re-mortgaging to a new rate was an absolute breeze.

Reviewed on 28th October 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass your message onto the team, who will be thrilled to know you had such a positive experience with us.

Hideous experience - avoid at all costs

We were initially given an offer for more money than we needed, which gave us hope and the confidence to forge ahead with plans. However, an Offer In Principle from H&R is clearly not worth the paper it is written... Read more

We were initially given an offer for more money than we needed, which gave us hope and the confidence to forge ahead with plans. However, an Offer In Principle from H&R is clearly not worth the paper it is written on.

After several months of financial interrogation due to being self employed, this building society took our fees and then promptly turned around a few days later and rejected our application due predominantly to self employment. We appealed, successfully at first, only to then be rejected again because of Japanese Knotweed being 150m away from the house. In spite of H&R stating that they follow the opinion of surveyors in cases of JK, they were not prepared to even consider this case - even though the vendor had a £4000 treatment plan in place with a guarantee for 10 years. This was not good enough for H&R, and our dreams are now in tatters. We had everything planned - school places, jobs - and for whatever reason this building society decided that we didn’t fit the bill. This is yet another case of discrimination against the hard working self-employed. Communication has been terrible - in fact almost non existent - and when we queried the length of time the processes were taking, we were simply fobbed off.

We have finally been given a partial refund - after a fight - yet we fail to see how they can justify keeping the “non refundable arrangement fee” - when they have not in fact arranged anything.

We would appreciate some genuine feedback from H&R regarding why they have felt it acceptable to treat us this way.

Reviewed on 21st October 2021
Rainbow Pony Publishing's avatar
Rainbow Pony Publishing

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

We are very sorry that you were unhappy with the service provided. We will be in touch with you shortly and hope that we will be able to provide more context around the processing of your application, and answer any questions you may have.

Very professional

Great communication Fast response Highly recommended

Reviewed on 16th October 2021

great service provided

Very professional organisation that provides a fantastic personal touch. Constantly providing us with updates via emails and phone calls.

Reviewed on 14th October 2021

Professional

Regular contact and updates. Contacted and kept up to date via phone calls and we emails.

Reviewed on 13th October 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Good product but painfully slow application process

The product offered is a good one but getting through the application process too so Kong and was overly detailed and frustrating at times.

Reviewed on 5th October 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your experience and will pass your comments on to the team. Please rest assured we are always striving to provide a high level of service so your comments will be helpful to improve the level of service we provide.

First class experience

Thank you for making this re-mortgage an easy and straightforward experience. Helpful from start to finish.

Reviewed on 5th October 2021

Incompetent

Slow, uncommunicative, incompetent. Worst mortgage experience I have ever had quite simply. What should have been a straightforward mortgage took many months, a JBSP mortgage was simpler.

Reviewed on 4th October 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Thank you for your feedback - we’re really sorry that your experience was not more positive. We’d love to investigate the circumstances behind the issues and provide you with a personalised response – if you’re happy for us to do so, please email enquiries@hrbs.co.uk with your details so that we can identify you.

Excellent service, H&R should be a household name

I have been really impressed on the mortgage we have just secured. We have bought an unusual house that mainstream lenders would not touch. However H&R were pragmatic all the way through and kept us informed of progress. My only bone of contention was an issue related to the survey which was out of H&Rs hands. They took ownership for fixing the issue and we got the result we wanted. I would recommend to all.

Reviewed on 3rd October 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

Appalling focus, sense of urgency and concern about customer experience.

A continuing battle to progress the application.

Reviewed on 2nd October 2021

Worst experience ever

I applied for a mortgage with H&R I was told I could get a mortgage and everything was ok with affordablility. I paid for a survey and the administration fees to be later told I had to pay of every loan I had even my mobile loan £17 P/M and they decided I was not eligible for original 180k loan and only 150k. Bearing in mind I earn 51k P/Y and have no large debts. I ended up going with a 60% LTV product and they tried to get me to sign up at 1.9% bearing in mind it says on there website the product they offer for 60% LTV is 1.25% they then tried to blame my mortgage broker who was totally shocked that they did this. I have complained to H&R I am awaiting there results before I take the matter further with the relevant complaint ombudsman. All of this took around 8 weeks I think I will go back to nationwide next time where I can borrow more with far less hassle

Reviewed on 21st September 2021

Reply from Hinckley & Rugby Building Society

We’re very sorry that you have had cause for complaint and will send you our response as soon as possible.

So many checks its ridiculous

Had this not been a remortgage and the funds needed for another deposit then I would have walked away from them. Soooooo many checks a criminal would have more chance of securing a job with MI5 than anyone getting a mortgage with them!

Reviewed on 17th September 2021